15mins 49 seconds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 29 Mar 2018

From the summit of the Ben to the youth hostel. Wasn't sure whether to post this in the skiing or running forum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ysBMpIqfW0&sns=fb

Removed User 29 Mar 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Awesome. Nice skiing at the end!

subtle 29 Mar 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Hope he, or someone with him, picked up his ski's and they are not adding to the amount of litter on the hill.

Impressive though.

OP DaveHK 29 Mar 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Hope he, or someone with him, picked up his ski's and they are not adding to the amount of litter on the hill.

> Impressive though.

You're very quick to judge. Why would anyone leave a pair of skis on the hill? 

Anyway, he says at the end that he's back off up to get them.

Post edited at 12:58
 subtle 29 Mar 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> You're very quick to judge. Why would anyone leave a pair of skis on the hill? 

Why would anyone leave anything on the hill?

In the video we see him get out of his ski boots, put on a pair of runners then run off, leaving skis/boots behind so a valid enough question.

OP DaveHK 29 Mar 2018
In reply to subtle:

> In the video we see him get out of his ski boots, put on a pair of runners then run off, leaving skis/boots behind so a valid enough question.

I don't think it's a valid question at all given that he actually says he's going back for them! People leave litter on the hill, not hundreds (possibly thousands) of pounds worth of kit.

Clearly Findlay's exploits aren't familiar to you. Anyone who knows anything about him would know he's not the kind of guy to litter a hill.

Post edited at 14:06
 subtle 29 Mar 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> I don't think it's a valid question at all given that he actually says he's going back for them! People leave litter on the hill, not hundreds (possibly thousands) of pounds worth of kit.

People unfortunately leave all sorts of things on hills, and whatever they leave is litter!

> Clearly Findlay's exploits aren't familiar to you. Anyone who knows anything about him would know he's not the kind of guy to litter a hill.

The impression from his video is that he leaves the boots/skis when he starts to run - but good for him that he goes back for them.

But what if someone had come across them in between times - i know if I came across them I would have lifted them to clear debris from the hillside. One only needs to take a cursory glance at the Lost and Found page on UKC to see what equipment is Lost (left) and Found on the hills to realise it can be expensive kit - rope/axes/camera's/ice scres etc.

Ad I said earlier though, it was impressive.

OP DaveHK 29 Mar 2018
In reply to subtle:

> - i know if I came across them I would have lifted them to clear debris from the hillside. 

Don't ever go into Coire an Sneachda on a nice winter day then, you'll struggle to carry all the 'debris' out and piss off an awful lot of people!

Post edited at 14:25
 subtle 29 Mar 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> > - i know if I came across them I would have lifted them to clear debris from the hillside. 

> Don't ever go into Coire an Sneachda on a nice winter day then, you'll struggle to carry all the 'debris' out and piss off an awful lot of people!

Why - do people generally leave ski/boots etc. there instead of taking them with them?

OP DaveHK 29 Mar 2018
In reply to subtle:

Sometimes people leave skis yes, but I was more thinking about all the rucksacks at the bottom. Usually it's pretty easy to tell what's been temporarily left to be picked up later and something accidentally or purposely abandoned. If I saw skis and boots left somewhere I'd assume it was just like a climber leaving a sack or ditching a bike on an approach and the owner would be back.

Anyway, Findlay would probably have been back at them less than 30 mins after leaving them so the chances of them ruining yours or anyone elses day were pretty slim.

Post edited at 14:40
 subtle 29 Mar 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> Sometimes people leave skis yes, but I was more thinking about all the rucksacks at the bottom. Usually it's pretty easy to tell what's been temporarily left to be picked up later and something accidentally or purposely abandoned. If I saw skis and boots left somewhere I'd assume it was just like a climber leaving a sack or ditching a bike on an approach and the owner would be back.

Sounds like the tales some dog owners tell when caught tying the bag of dog poo onto a tree/railing - "oh don't worry, I will pick it up on the way back" Littering is littering!

summo 29 Mar 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Hope he, or someone with him, picked up his ski's and they are not adding to the amount of litter on the hill.

If he was going to abandon them, he would have kept them on skiing down the grass and rocks, until he had worn them down to his socks.  

summo 29 Mar 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Sounds like the tales some dog owners tell when caught tying the bag of dog poo onto a tree/railing - "oh don't worry, I will pick it up on the way back" Littering is littering!

If you do or did Skye ridge in a oner, you wouldn't leave your bag at any of the cols; whilst ticking a top? 

tehmarks 29 Mar 2018
In reply to subtle:

Bags of dog poo generally aren't worth hundreds of pounds, and aren't generally valued by the person looking to dispose of it. Equating bags of dog shit to a pair of skis and boots, or a climber's bag, is nonsensical.

tehmarks 29 Mar 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Littering is littering!

Litter consists of waste products that have been disposed improperly, without consent, at an inappropriate location

My bold.

OP DaveHK 29 Mar 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

> Bags of dog poo generally aren't worth hundreds of pounds, and aren't generally valued by the person looking to dispose of it. Equating bags of dog shit to a pair of skis and boots, or a climber's bag, is nonsensical.

Look, subtle wanted to be angry with someone for littering and isn't going to let the fact that no littering has occurred get in the way of that.

bouldery bits 29 Mar 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

How on earth has this thread descended in to a ridiculous argument? No wonder the other channel laugh at you lot (and me, but I'm a figure of fun anyway)

A great achievement. Really quick . Well done.

OP DaveHK 29 Mar 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

> How on earth has this thread descended in to a ridiculous argument? 

Indeed.

> A great achievement. Really quick . Well done.

This.

Chrismith 29 Mar 2018
In reply to subtle:

I was up the Glenfinnan Munro's today and stashed my bike for the ride out.  Glad you weren't up that way today or I'd have found it in the skip in the car park!

Impressive stuff once again from Wild!

mysterion 30 Mar 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Finlay Wild? - now that's a name that would give Bear Grylls a hard-on

Andy Gamisou 30 Mar 2018
In reply to subtle:

>> People unfortunately leave all sorts of things on hills, and whatever they leave is litter!

Please let me know when and where you next go cragging (assuming you are a climber).  I'll be happy to remove and dispose of the litter you leave at the bottom whilst you are on route (spare kit, rucksacks, wallet, car keys etc)

Incidentally - are you by any chance the person who removed my wife when I left her sitting near to the top of Skafell the other day whilst I went and took some photos (admittedly she might have simply taken her chances and legged it).  If so I'd quite like her back - or maybe you could at least ask her for me where she put the spare house keys?  Ta very muchly.

Post edited at 03:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...