Wye valley salthe challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jimmysmith1577 12 Aug 2017
Anyone completed it ? What times everyone get?
 Eve.G 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Jimmysmith1577:

was looking at this the other day in the new guide book (p222).
Free rope seems like a nice thing, but... how do you prove the times?
 luke glaister 12 Aug 2017

I've added this to my tick list this morning . Looks like a great challenge. I'd say the guide book writer's have completed the challenge so will know a rough time and anything stupidly fast will stand out a mile.
 Wise 12 Aug 2017

Morning,

We did it on Wednesday after work in 6 hours 53 mins. In rock boots. We wasted a bit of time finding the routes but it still felt pretty fast. I was pretty tired by the end.

I don't usually do that sort of thing, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. I think it helped that it was mostly on sight so the route finding element added another element of adventure.

I'd recommend it.

Andy

luke glaister 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Wise:

Quality. I seen u are the only man to complete it. And that's around the time I was guessing it could be done. Will defo be having a crack at it in the next month or so.
Luke.
 The Ivanator 12 Aug 2017
to BeardyMike:

Hi Mike, If you are reading this thread I sent you a mail about the routes missing from logbooks on the Salathe List.
Cheers,
Ivan
In reply to queenmargo:

It's based on trust, we'll take what you send in.
In reply to Wise:

Good effort Wise, hope you've submitted your time, sounds fairly quick to me.
 Ally Smith 14 Aug 2017
In reply to The Climbing Academy:
Reading the original challenge in the link, as a 7c climber, and by their own admission of climbing in rock-boots, this time shouldn't count, quote:

6. Any team member who can climb F7c and above must wear trainers
Post edited at 14:58
 1poundSOCKS 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Ally Smith:

> 6. Any team member who can climb F7c and above must wear trainers

Strange rule. It doesn't actually make any sense I can see and seems out of place in what's just a fun challenge.
 Ally Smith 14 Aug 2017
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Thems the rules - i didn't make them up.

I think I need to buy some guide-tennies...
 ericinbristol 14 Aug 2017
Here's the link

https://www.theclimbingacademy.com/blog/bristol/wye-valley-salathe-challeng...

I would rather do it in rock shoes and have my completion not count.

1poundSOCKS 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Ally Smith:

> Thems the rules - i didn't make them up.

> I think I need to buy some guide-tennies...

Alright for you, I've got f**k all chance against somebody who 'only' climbs 7b+.
 Wise 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Ally Smith:

To be honest I was just doing it the way that was going to be the most fun and satisfying for me.

Some one will do it way quicker that our time so I wouldn't worry about its qualifying legitimacy if I was you.
In reply to Ally Smith:

I think you're right. Wise, you need to go back in your trainers to make your time count.
 hms 14 Aug 2017
In reply to The Climbing Academy:

could I also ask for a clarification: I assume that the time starts when one leaves the ground for the first route and doesn't stop until the second lowers off the final route, so all the travel from crag to crag and also the walk-in at ByG (minimal at the other 2 crags anyway) is with the clock ticking away?
 Xavierpercy 14 Aug 2017
In reply to hms:
It looks like all the travel by car and on foot is included in the overall time.
Hence the caveat not to break the speed limit. No rule about running red lights though.
Anyone over 50 fancy doing it with me?
In reply to hms:

It says 'time starts with both climbers and gear on the ground standing beneath the first route and stop the clock when the last climber finishes the last route'. Hope that helps.
Probably a long shot...
Anyone up for a relatively serious attempt on this Thursday or Friday?

cornishben 16 Aug 2017
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

we followed in Wise's footsteps the day after with a slower time of 8hrs. It's a fun challenge and there's a lot of potential to speed things up with knowledge of all the routes, rope shennanigans and somehow ensuring there's no one on them when you get to them!
 Paul at work 16 Aug 2017
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

If you can wait a week, I would be up for it.
 Lil_Pete 18 Aug 2017
In reply to Xavierpercy:

Surely you can't advocate running red lights in your profession Guy hahaha!
 Xavierpercy 18 Aug 2017
In reply to Lil_Pete:
I wouldn't dream of doing it. I was speaking hypothetically of course.
 David Coley 19 Aug 2017

Just a thought, and admitting I haven't climbed a single sport route in the Wye, but how long are they? i.e. what fraction of the length of The Salthe is it?
 beardy mike 19 Aug 2017
In reply to David Coley:

It's nowhere near as long. But obviously the excellent nature of the climbing and shear difficulty overshadows anything you might find on the real Salathe and makes this expedition the tick to get.
 David Coley 19 Aug 2017
In reply to beardy mike:

sounds like we need a "plus" version, being of the same length - anyone know the routes well and fancies assembling said plus list.

I will then go out and buy the guidebook, promise.
 David Coley 19 Aug 2017

I have now bought the guide from Dick's Climbing, but I was almost put off by the comment on one site that said:

Wye Valley Sport is the second title in an on-going series of local guides for local climbers, lovingly put together by Great Western Rock and published by Dick's Climbing.

Being from Devon, and hence not local.
 beardy mike 19 Aug 2017
In reply to David Coley:

That's already being thought about. The cheddar nose straight into the wye valley salathe...
In reply to David Coley:

492m all together I think
And there between 9 n 32m long

ashtond6 20 Aug 2017

So not very salathe then?
In reply to ashtond6:

Dont know Haven't looked at salathe wall.
Just a challenge in a new guidebook bit of fun to win a rope
 DorsetGareth 27 Aug 2017
In reply to luke glaister:

Luke, I see you've also done this what was your time?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...