Wire brush at Stanage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Roberts 12 Jul 2020

Hello all, 

I have a question that is, while walking along the top of Stanage yesterday, I saw a climber with a wire brush, which led me to wonder why someone would need one on their rack at Stanage? 
Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you!

The Pylon King 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben_Roberts:

To get the rust off of the bolts?

GrahamD 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben_Roberts:

Probably nothing to worry about.  Probably just improving a few holds.

d_b 12 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Wire brushing to manufacture holds on grit is a terrible idea because underneath the surface patina it is quite soft. Once you take that off it weathers quickly.

You are far better off buying resin bolt ons and installing those on the crag instead. They will last longer and be easier to see.

Post edited at 21:33
 kaiser 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben_Roberts:

Scraping the covid off innit tho?

The Lemming 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben_Roberts:

What kind of wire brush was it?

And was it attached to the harness with a quality crab?

We climbers have standards and inferior wire is just a waste of money.

In reply to Ben_Roberts:

Just on the off chance you're not taking the piss (like all of the replies have.. ), are you sure it was a wire brush? Rather than a nylon brush for cleaning holds.

How do you get to be a crag moderator without knowing about brushes...?

Post edited at 22:03
 bouldery bits 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben_Roberts:

Brillo pad fist jams all round!

OP Ben_Roberts 12 Jul 2020
In reply to captain paranoia: Yeah, not really the replies I was hoping for. I genuinely saw it and have my suspicions on what it might be used for, but was wondering if there were some less ‘damaging’ reasons to have one, that I couldn’t think of. They dropped it in front of me, and I clearly saw it was a wire brush.

Aha that’s not really got much to do with it hey?! Maybe an in-depth knowledge of brushes would have helped me better list a few routes at an esoteric crag in Spain. 

The Pylon King 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben_Roberts:

Maybe they had left it on after their visit to New Mills?

birdie num num 12 Jul 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Good idea. That Goliath’s Groove could do with a few improved holds.

Cake 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben_Roberts:

I'd like to think they have it on their harness solely for the purpose of starting a thread like this, in which case the joke is on you.

Unfortunately, it probably isn't, and if you had your suspicions perhaps you should have asked.

Myfyr Tomos 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben_Roberts:

Maybe they were also mountain bikers and it fell from their first aid kit. When they come off on forest trails, we use a wire brush  to clean the gravel out of the scrapes.

duchessofmalfi 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

I'm going to blutack some bolt hangers on the Tippler to add to this...

Mark Kemball 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben_Roberts:

But, if it wasn't for Pete Livsey and his wire brush, we wouldn't have such classics as Downhill Racer (E4 6a)...

spenser 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Wait, what?! That sounds bloody awful!

Removed User 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben_Roberts:

Why the f*ck didn't you just ask them?  If they said they were cleaning routes, then explain why it's better to use a nylon or bristle one.

Saying nothing and coming on here to whine is just feebleness.

Philip 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Ben_Roberts:

> I have a question that is, while walking along the top of Stanage yesterday, I saw a climber with a wire brush, which led me to wonder why someone would need one on their rack at Stanage? 

​​​​​​Removing Pof at the end of the day? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...