Walna Scar car park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rogsax 15 May 2020

Anyone aware if the gate is unlocked and access isn't being restricted?  

olddirtydoggy 15 May 2020
In reply to Rogsax:

Couldn't say but all groups such as MRT, Police and others are still requesting non locals stay away from the lakes. You might be local and that's great.

Jon Read 15 May 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

How local is local?

Andy Hardy 15 May 2020
In reply to Jon Read:

Your forefathers have to have been listed as from Coneystane in ye Domesday book.

if not, you're a blow in.

HTH

fred99 15 May 2020

> Couldn't say but all groups such as MRT, Police and others are still requesting non locals stay away from the lakes. You might be local and that's great.

I'm pretty sure you could count the number of "tourist" or "climbing" visitors to the main Lake District CV-19 hotspot of Barrow-in-Furness on the fingers of one foot.

Post edited at 17:53
In reply to Jon Read:

Good question and I don't know. There's always going to be a grey area when we don't have a line drawn on a map.

JMarkW 15 May 2020

Or alternatively the locals who have had access to this beautiful national park for the last two months stay home and let the city dwelling people in back to back terraces and flats and minimum wage jobs emptying bins and working social care and working in warehouses can maybe get out?

Just a thought. And clearly a generalization. 

In reply to Rogsax:

Got to be honest, I'm having personal difficulty deciding where the line is. I was pretty sure until I read that post from Coniston MRT and then the lines blurred for me.

Anyway, apologies to the OP as I've unintentionally derailed his thread. Does anyone know if the gates are locked?

Tom Valentine 15 May 2020
In reply to fred99:

I wouldn't be so blase about Ambleside and Windermere: Barrow's figures may be atypical because of their testing history but there's no reason to suppose that the South Lakes figure isn't representative and that's where most tourists will end up. 

As for the notion that the locals stay indoors while the tourists  clog the pavements, footpaths and bridleways- that's a suggestion I wouldn't like to make outside the confines of the internet and certainly not one I'd broach in a crowded meeting.

Rog Wilko 15 May 2020
In reply to Rogsax:

Personally, I wouldn't be leaving my car anywhere in the Lakes at the moment. People can get very over-excited in situations such as this. I'm not predicting anything or even less condoning anything, but I have had my windscreen smashed in for parking where someone thought I shouldn't (though it must be over 20 years ago).

Post edited at 19:52
 fred99 16 May 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> As for the notion that the locals stay indoors while the tourists  clog the pavements, footpaths and bridleways- that's a suggestion I wouldn't like to make outside the confines of the internet and certainly not one I'd broach in a crowded meeting.

I certainly hope you wouldn't be attending a "crowded meeting" in the Lake District (or anywhere else for that matter) - or is that how people are catching CV-19 in the Lakes ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...