Von Ryans Express

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

For anyone stuck at home today like me you may wish to tune in to channel 41, the Great Movies Action channel, at 4:30.  They are showing Von Ryans Express a WWII film featuring Frank Sinatra much of which was filmed in El Chorro and gives some fleeting glimpses of the Kings Way and the surrounding cliffs.

On a similar theme it is worth noting that the film "The Heroes of Telemark" shows a lot of the ice falls around Rjukan which is the area where the both the real life events and filming took place.

Al

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

It always amused me in Von Rya's Express to see the train disappear into the tunnel in El Chorro and come out of the other side in Switzerland

Chris

full stottie 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Chris Craggs:

As per Kevyn Costner in Robin Hood, who lands in Dover and then immediately appears at Sycamore Gap on Hadrians Wall on his way to Sherwood Forest. That's what films do best - confound geography!

In reply to full stottie:

They are also quite adept at confounding history as well.

Al

Lankyman 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> It always amused me in Von Rya's Express to see the train disappear into the tunnel in El Chorro and come out of the other side in Switzerland

There's a scene in 'Miss Potter' where Renee Zellweger walks into a cottage in the Lakes and emerges out the back at Loch Lomond. That's some big house ...

I visited that area back in the late 90s before I was into climbing or knew much about it. I just had some vague notes about the Kings Way and it being abandoned. My friend and I had assumed the train line was disused; needless to say quite a surprise when one came flying past when we were in one of the tunnels!

I also have it in my mind that some of the spaghetti westerns were filmed in the area at the top of El Chorro but don't hold me to that   Maybe someone else can confirm.

Al

Lankyman 20 Sep 2021

> I also have it in my mind that some of the spaghetti westerns were filmed in the area at the top of El Chorro but don't hold me to that   Maybe someone else can confirm.

I think you're right about Spain being used as a stand-in for the American West but not Chorro? I googled it a while ago and it's in Almeria. Apparently, other films were made there like Lawrence of Arabia and the sets are still standing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...