UKC Yoga Fit Club?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 heleno 02 Apr 2020

There've been quite a few people mentioning yoga as part of their lockdown exercise plans, and I wondered if anyone would be interested in participating regularly in a Yoga (for climbers) Fit Club thread, along the lines of the long-running UKC Fit Club.

I'm finding yoga particularly helpful in keeping me sane at the moment, partly because you can do it anywhere, but also because it can become an end in itself, rather than just training for climbing.  I'm hoping to use the lockdown period to work on some poses that I find difficult, as well as doing regular on-line classes.

It would be great to share tips, weblinks and achievements.  I'm also a qualified yoga teacher, so I may be able to offer suggestions to beginners on how to get started and improve their practice.

It could initially be just for the duration of the lockdown, but if it's going well we could continue it afterwards.  Anyone interested?

Post edited at 13:58
 Little Butch 02 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

I’m in! After years of a very physical job as well as climbing in the evenings, stretching/mobility work is something that I really need to focus on. I’ve been doing a little recently but intend to do an hours worth every night, starting tonight. 

My plan is to follow this and see how it goes...

youtube.com/watch?v=hRQSHBgjg3E&

Derek Furze 02 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

Yes.  As an older climber, flexibility is definitely lacking and I want something to supplement my usual training routine.  Yoga or stretches seems like a useful and positive thing to do on many levels.  Quite impressed with the video posted by Little Butch, so that would make a decent start in principle.  I'm on a rest day, but will introduce it into the routine tomorrow.

If like fit club, is the idea that we report in each Sunday with how well we have done with our stretching targets?

In reply to heleno:

> There've been quite a few people mentioning yoga as part of their lockdown exercise plans, and I wondered if anyone would be interested in participating regularly in a Yoga (for climbers) Fit Club thread, along the lines of the long-running UKC Fit Club.

> I'm finding yoga particularly helpful in keeping me sane at the moment, partly because you can do it anywhere, but also because it can become an end in itself, rather than just training for climbing.  I'm hoping to use the lockdown period to work on some poses that I find difficult, as well as doing regular on-line classes.

> It would be great to share tips, weblinks and achievements.  I'm also a qualified yoga teacher, so I may be able to offer suggestions to beginners on how to get started and improve their practice.

> It could initially be just for the duration of the lockdown, but if it's going well we could continue it afterwards.  Anyone interested?

Certainly interested in participating. 

mattrm 02 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

It's a great idea.

You're very welcome to just join fit club, lots of us do yoga.  Well not me, I can't do the bends anymore. 

Little Butch 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Derek Furze:

I completed the routine in my link for the first time tonight... was pretty advanced for me and I actually think my back hurts more now than ever lol! May have to find something easier

OP heleno 03 Apr 2020
In reply to Derek Furze:

> If like fit club, is the idea that we report in each Sunday with how well we have done with our stretching targets?

Hi Derek, yes I was thinking of everyone posting a weekly update on progress, but with perhaps a bit more flexibility (no pun intended!) about also posting tips, links to video classes they've enjoyed etc.

By targets, did you mean things like "Do 2 on-line yoga classes this week"/"Do hamstring stretches every evening"  If so, I think this would be a great motivator.

But we should probably steer clear of physical achievement targets like "touch my toes"/"hold an unsupported headstand for 10 mins" if we don't want to be laid up with yoga injuries when the lockdown is eventually lifted!

OP heleno 03 Apr 2020
In reply to Little Butch:

Hi, great that you're interested in doing this!  

I had a look at that routine you posted and thought it looked really tough.  Those women in the video are very flexible!   Not surprised it felt hard.

I really like the following on-line class for lower back, hamstrings and IT band: https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/deep-release-hips-hamstrings-and-lower...

gravy 03 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

I looked at this but the constant irritating throb from uuuuuunnnnn   thuuuuunnnnn music was way too irritating.

OP heleno 03 Apr 2020
In reply to gravy:

LOL - I've done this routine many times and never even noticed the music!

Post edited at 10:27
 HansStuttgart 03 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

I am terrible at actually doing core exercises for climbing, so now I'll try it with yoga

The plan is to do this one once a week until it is easy (or at least easier than now...):

youtube.com/watch?v=AqBK2-XK-9M&

OP heleno 03 Apr 2020
In reply to HansStuttgart:

That looks good (though tough!)  I might give it a try too as I need to work on my core.

OP heleno 03 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

Okay, shall we treat this thread as Week 1, and start a new thread for updates on progress each Friday?

Several people have already posted plans and targets, so anyone else who's joining in, go ahead and post yours!  Could be long-term goals, plans for the coming week, or both.

girlymonkey 03 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

So I have been recovering from a running injury in my left foot and discovered while doing the hip flexor one that you suggested that the left hip is tight. Who knows which caused the other, but certainly seems worth continuing with to see if I can even them out! 

OP heleno 03 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

So here's my contribution for this week:

I've been doing yoga for 10 years, prompted by a prolapsed disk and the realisation that I was very inflexible.  I'm still not super-flexible but much better than I used to be.  I completed yoga teacher training last September, and was teaching Yoga for Climbers sessions at my local wall, but obviously am not doing that now!

Long-term goal: Develop greater core strength and flexibility so that I can get better at challenging intermediate poses like Crow, Wheel and Headstand.

Targets for this week:

- yoga at least 1 hour a day, mixture of on-line classes and own practice

- stretch hamstrings and hip flexors every day

- practice Crow, Wheel and Headstand at least 3 times each this week

Post edited at 20:17
 Derek Furze 03 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

Ok.  Integrate yoga into alternate sessions as an experiment on flexibility.  Will report back

derek

Little Butch 03 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

Followed that routine tonight, felt much nicer than the last one I tried and super relaxing! If I can find something very similar for the upper body I’ll be doing these on alternate days. 

OP heleno 04 Apr 2020
In reply to Little Butch:

Glad you liked it!  The same teacher (David Procyshyn) does lots of classes on the same website.  I like this one for hands and shoulders: https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/hatha-yoga-hands-arms-and-shoulders 

Derek Furze 04 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

I also tried it today.  It was a perfect demonstration of why I need to introduce yoga into my routine!  I love that Little Butch found it relaxing.  In contrast, I found it pretty difficult and couldn't relax for screaming!  Good stuff and I will try the upper body routine tomorrow (assuming I can move)...

Baron Weasel 04 Apr 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Certainly interested in participating. 

Have you done any since the last time we said we were going to do yoga?.. 

In reply to Baron Weasel:

> Have you done any since the last time we said we were going to do yoga?.. 

Yes.  

I've been doing some today in my studio and I started to write a list of poses I like personally. 

I'm also am trying to become more familiar with the Sanskrit names as well as the conventional names. 

girlymonkey 04 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

Does anyone here have any videos they could link to for me to pass on to my husband. He is so unbelievably inflexible that he gives up straight away with any of these as he complains that it's so far beyond where he is that there's no point. 

His posture is poor and he runs and cycles a lot. He works as a landscape gardener. So all things which will contribute to tightening muscles and makes it even worse.

Any suggestions?

OP heleno 05 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Does anyone here have any videos they could link to for me to pass on to my husband. He is so unbelievably inflexible that he gives up straight away with any of these as he complains that it's so far beyond where he is that there's no point. 

> Any suggestions?

I used to be like that 10 years ago! I started out with this DVD:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Yoga-Inflexible-People-DVD/dp/B002SF9YG6

The pace is a bit slow, but the instructions are very detailed and they give you alternative versions that make poses easier for the very inflexible.  And after a few weeks he'll hopefully be feeling the benefit and can take his pick of online classes 

Post edited at 16:45
 Derek Furze 05 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

That's really helpful - i might need to get back to the basics!  Do you really think a few weeks will make a difference?

OP heleno 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Derek Furze:

> Do you really think a few weeks will make a difference?

It depends how regularly you do it - but I think most people would notice an improvement after just a few weeks of gentle stretching several times a week. 

If you are very stiff, do be careful of your back!  When you are doing any pose which involves a forward bend, you can reduce the risk of over-flexing your spine  by bending the knees slightly to release the hamstrings.

Post edited at 10:49
 Derek Furze 07 Apr 2020
In reply to heleno:

Thanks - i think three days in it is feeling a little easier and is an enjoyable addition to the exercise regime.  I am building up slowly.

Nigel Coe 10 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

He could try https://yogawithadriene.com/home-30-days-of-yoga/
Day 1 is a bit cheesy, but it's worth persevering. We're on day 15 and both found day 6 the hardest so far! Emphasise that it's not the getting there, it's the trying, the slow improvement. And that he'll feel better after it.

In reply to all

How is everyone's practice going ? 

This week I've been practicing a lot of inversions and trying to learn the names . 

I've been working on and can hold.

Sirisana (headstand) for well over a minute now.  

Halasana for similar but depends on the time of day 😂

Sarvangasana (shoulderstands) and dandasana (L seat shoulderstands)

Oh lots of Navasana for more core work as well as sit ups and push-ups between things 

TWS

OP heleno 10 Apr 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Impressive stuff!  That core work must be paying off if you can hold a headstand for well over a minute.

I've started a new thread for our 2nd week here: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rock_talk/yoga_fit_club_2nd_week-718083

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...