Transferable skills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afshapes 13 May 2018

Tonight whilst grating some parmesan I realised that my crimp strength was coming in handy as I got down the rind without shredding my fingers. 

So that got me thinking ... What other transferable skills can we take from climbing to every day life. 

My other one is pinch grip allowing me to pick up multiple plates without dropping them !

henwardian 13 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

Well, I guess skills in finger, hand, and, to some extend fist jamming will been appreciated by the odd person.....

LiamJ-F 13 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

Sometimes I fist/hand jam door hinges to hold them open for people. Most offices tend to have protective covers on door hingeshinges r my fun though.

Hooo 13 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

I do look to try and use climbing skills wherever I can, but I've found depressingly little use for them apart from grip strength.

One thing I can do is cleanly rockover onto the edge of the worktop, stand up and get stuff off the highest shelf without needing a step or a handhold.

Paz 13 May 2018

I try to do a lot more with one hand only, as if I was on a steep part of a route, hanging on with the other hand.  I've developed a dextrous method of eating a bag of crisps with one hand.

But as far as boring work shit goes, I think climbing's excellent for organisation, concentration, following instructions clearly, withstanding stress, the ability to absorb limitless quantities of pointless jargon, and dynamic risk assessment (i.e. not doing the paper work).

DerwentDiluted 13 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

I find that being a climber helps enormously when arguing with my stepson about his grades.

Post edited at 23:06
 Yanis Nayu 14 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

Ask your wife/gf...

GrahamD 14 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

Not getting freaked when climbing a ladder during house maintenance is probably the most obvious transferrable skill.

oldie 14 May 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

I actually wear my helmet for most high work (to neighbours' amusement), and have self and ladder anchored via slings and wires to loft rafters.

Judgement on recognizing and eliminating risks and whether something is strong enough for purpose are probably the most valuable general skills I've gained from climbing.

jamscoz 14 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

I've found I relax more in certain situations. Confined spaces, entanglement, just being stuck.... I like to think it's because of experiencing similar climbing things...

d_b 14 May 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

I get more concerned on ladders than I do leading.  My wife has a particularly wobbly step ladder that she refuses to let me get rid of and replace.  I was standing on it for some hedge trimming yesterday and a bit upset.

d_b 14 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

My main use for arm strength is turning an increasingly heavy toddler upside down on demand.  There is a lot of demand.

Post edited at 11:42
 Max factor 14 May 2018
In reply to d_b:

Sense of balance for reaching that bit further when working up a ladder. I am not sure the foot flag to counterbalance is approved window cleaner technique. or very clever. 

d_b 14 May 2018
In reply to Max factor:

Two issues really.  First, I'm sure the ladders legs were flexing...

Second, my sense of balance has been fscked since I had a nasty case of labrynthitis 10 years ago.  I can compensate using vision and hands when climbing but it makes some other things difficult.

I do not recommend labrynthitis.

Sam B 14 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

Sometimes you can kind of tell when someone'a a climber from the way they pick up items from the floor... But I'm not sure that's much of a transferable skill though.

Sleeping in a car is a transferable skill I've learnt because of climbing - does that count?

Beyond that, I think it actually inhibits my work - my boss recently ordered me a rubber keyboard because I was "typing too loudly" and "at risk of damaging company equipment". Haters gonna hate...

Heike 14 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

I usually get asked to open jam jars and Gherkin jars by my wider family. It's quite pleasing to open them if no-one else can..

stp 14 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

I would say staying cool in stressful situations is perhaps the most widely applicable to everyday life.

krikoman 14 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

My crack skills are useful in real life

yoshi.h 14 May 2018
In reply to afshapes:

Massages

GrahamD 14 May 2018
In reply to Heike:

> I usually get asked to open jam jars and Gherkin jars by my wider family. It's quite pleasing to open them if no-one else can..

....and embarrassing if not, with much muttering of "wet hands".

Heike 14 May 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Hahaha, yes indeed!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...