TR solo possible at Lorry Park Quarry?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Frisby 22 Sep 2020

Hi all, 

I'm working over near Matlock on Monday and wanted to pop into  Lorry Park Quarry to do some top rope soloing on the crack lines there (Supercrack (Sport) (7a) and Edge of Darkness (6b+)) on my own once I was done with the site work. Is it possible to walk round to the top of those routes and set up a fixed line? I've never been before but can see on the satellite image of the crag that the top has lots of trees so thought it might be suitable? I also don't have the peak limestone guide so got no info on the crag apart from what's on ukc, but those two crack lines look great for a quick burn!

Thanks, George. 

ashtond6 22 Sep 2020
In reply to George Frisby:

dont think so but a local may know. 

High Tor would be fine.

Dan Arkle 22 Sep 2020

I've not approached from the top, I imagine it's possible.

Or you could stick clip your way up reasonably easily. 

OP George Frisby 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks everyone, don't have a stick clip but will pop in and check it out , seems like it it'll be worth it

robert-hutton 22 Sep 2020

> Thanks everyone, don't have a stick clip but will pop in and check it out , seems like it it'll be worth it

I don't think you can get to the top, I would try high tor right wing or Willersley both have trees and paths at the top

nickcanute 23 Sep 2020

No. Anchors well below the top. Also, hard to locate where to ab from as well as kicking down dirt onto the routes, the harder ones of which have some small holds that dirt settling onto would require re-cleaning, or your rope dislodging stones and muck onto yourself. You could go to Pic Tor, Wildcat, Willersley though

OP George Frisby 23 Sep 2020
In reply to nickcanute:

Thanks for the response. 

Will TR solo at a grit venue en route home if I can't get a partner for Lorry Park.

If anyone wants to climb there Tuesday 4pm onwards then drop me a message. 

G

Gary Gibson 25 Sep 2020

It’s a bit of a bash and sting-ridden scramble up a shallow gully on the far left-hand side of the Quarry, just on your left as you come into the quarry and an easy walk along the top with numerous belays at the top, mostly trees. Take some sturdy jeans for the scramble up, I’ve done it enough times. I’ve also jumarred, up the fixed rope on the left-hand side of the main wall. Difficult to see. Hope that helps?

OP George Frisby 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Thanks Gary, thanks really helpful, much appreciated. 

George. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...