Topo photos - APITA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 09 Apr 2021

I like checking the latest photos on here - to see if there are some lovely shots that will either inspire me, rekindle old memories, or just look good.

But, there seem to be gazillions of topo photos (and crag shots) getting in the way and cluttering up the latest photos; and there is nothing particularly inspiring about seeing shots of a climberless boulder from 3 directions, etc.

Obviously, people are uploading these topo photos so that they're available as a resource because they may not be covered by a recent guidebook (the number of new craglets/boulders that have been "discovered" over the last year is impressive). I've not got a problem with that.

But can we please have a separate upload mechanism for these photos so that the nice piccies don't get hidden by all of the merely functional stuff.

Having a separate upload option for Topo and Crag photos that are only meant to be informative (rather than trying to be nice photos)

Good idea
38 votes | 0%
Rubbish idea
5 votes | 0%
Login to vote
 ebdon 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

Just sort the recent photos by votes rather than date and voila! Someones done the hard work for you!

David Bowler 09 Apr 2021

Can't we just have a section for arty poseur photos instead.

OP Michael Hood 09 Apr 2021
In reply to ebdon:

That partially deals with it - thanks

But, if I go in 2 days later - which are the new ones I've not yet seen? Rather than knowing that the most recent one I saw was "X looking cool on Y just before he fell off", so only need to look from most recent to that shot.

In reply to David Bowler:

One of the problems with having 2 uploads for different categories is why not 3, or 4 categories.

Lots of people also use the photos on here as an archive of their climbing holidays/trips/days, with what would appear to be very little filtering. So whilst I might like to see the best couple of shots of "X on Y", 17 shots of "X on Y" gets a bit boring. Should those be uploaded out of the way - how do you decide on the few best shots for general viewing and the others that are really just for your own (and your mates) remembrances.

In some respects I'm quite surprised by UKC being happy to be this archive since it must be getting bigger and bigger all the time. Presumably the growth has been matched by server storage space becoming cheaper so it's not had a significant cost impact.

Actually, what I'm doing is trying to combine what may be a good idea with a bit of a (mildly mannered) rant 😁

Edit: I suppose I ought to add that (unlike certain referendums) I will not consider 51/49 to be significant. If there's enough votes on the subject over the next week (let's say 200) and a significant majority (I'm going to go with 2/3; i.e. 67%) of people who think it's a good idea - then I'll suggest it to UKC (if they haven't indicated on thread that it's been noticed).

Post edited at 16:56
 GHawksworth 09 Apr 2021

We do. just upload it under "Crag shots" category.

When you're searching for bouldering photos, search under "bouldering" gallery. It removes all the stuff you don't want to see.

In reply to GHawksworth:

That's ok if you want to just see nice bouldering photos - no good if you want to see nice photos of all types.

Also, just went and looked at Bouldering Gallery - first page - dominated by topo shots, all showing just one line, several on the same bit of rock.

ebdon 09 Apr 2021

I see your point, but surely this basically is asking users to decided if there photos are a bit shit and upload them to the special "bleached out generic bum shot" category, as opposed to the "totally badass gnarr" category, which people may be opposed to!

Generally I agree with you and never really get why some people upload tonnes of generic photos (and why my gallery is 100% badassdary). I get round this by only looking at the photo gallery once a week or so, but can see how in your example it's annoying.

Hi Michael

We are aware of this and we have very nearly finished our own topo-upload system. This will then be the default system we will require people to use since it links to the logbook system as well. It will also keep the topo photos completely separate.

Should be in the next month or so.

Alan

In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Great minds and all that 😁

Happy for you to archive this thread if you think that's appropriate.

People are discovering local rock all over the place - one advantage of lockdowns - even if relaxation of restrictions means they're not visited for ages, we may be in this situation again, and then having records of a previous time will be a valuable resource.

One downside of all these new venues is that the Crag maps are getting awfully crowded in some areas - might need more differentiation of symbols than just the 3 or 4 (?) sizes. 

In reply to ebdon:

> Generally I agree with you and never really get why some people upload tonnes of generic photos

It's a consequence of digital cameras/phones and how easy it is nowadays to take loads of shots. Laziness to throw away the worst ones or indecision "Is this one better or that one? Not sure so I'll just keep the lot".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...