The route you want to climb above all others

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Haworth 19 Jan 2021

Ok, so many UKC’ers have wish lists, and I am sure many are spending lockdown dreaming of which routes to do when released.

If you had to choose one route to do in 2021 which would it be?

Rules are you can only pick  one route, it can’t be a route you have already done, it must be a route that you have a reasonable chance of being successful on.

I will start with The Needle (E1 5b)

Alkis 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin Haworth:

I'd love to just on My Halo (E7 6b). Well above my pay grade but flashed it on TR a couple of years ago, so you never know.

In reply to Alkis: Hmm, given your current grade are you sure that is realistic in 2021? 

AlanLittle 19 Jan 2021
 Geras 19 Jan 2021

I'd Love to climb Coranation Street, but never been to chedder in the 'open' season for this route.

Alkis 19 Jan 2021

I'll know for sure next time I'm there. I could physically do it in 2019 when I was pretty weak and recovering from injury, so I'll put a rope up it and see how consistently I can do it. Slate is the one rock type where I can generally punch above my proverbial weight so it's a maybe.

Post edited at 15:50
 Tigger 19 Jan 2021

At the moment

The Dream/Liberator (E3 6a)

Though, my most wanted routes shift to whatever is currently just out of reach.

PawelP 19 Jan 2021

Hoping to do South Face (HS 4b); 18 pitches (or 21 depending on guidebook) so an early start and good weather will be necessary.

beardy mike 19 Jan 2021
In reply to PawelP:

18 pitches? Really? It's a bloody long climb and complex. Overall I would not say the climbing is massively worthwhile as it's very loose in places. However the final traverse is incredible and some of the situations you are in are great. Just don't underestimate it. HS 4b does not do this justice... I believe it's actually 800mH, there is a lot of traversing so the route IMO is probably closer to 1000m of actual climbing. Many sections of scrambling though which go quickly. And the top out is also much longer than it looks. The top of the climbing is most certainly not the end of the climbing...

For me, Spigolo Nord on Monte Agner, or the Solleder Lettenbauer on Civetta.

Carless 19 Jan 2021

Would like to get back on Motorhead on Eldorado - got rained off some years ago

Andy Moles 19 Jan 2021

Thanatos (n7+).

Or within the UK, Big John (E5).

Jon Stewart 19 Jan 2021

The White Wizard (E3 5c)

Never been quite up to the challenge - it's meant to be high in the grade, plus it's always pretty dirty, plus I think a crucial peg might have gone now? Now, after getting shitter and fatter and weaker and less motivated for a year, somehow, I don't think 2021 is going to be the year for this one. 

Maybe I should scale down my ambitions to Pisgah Buttress Direct (S)?

Post edited at 16:35
In reply to Carless: Motorhead (6a+) is a route I would love to do, let me know if you need a partner. Rumour is its around E2.

In reply to Martin Haworth: Some good suggestions coming but some rule breakers as well, only one route please. Its a wish route not a wish list.

Robert Durran 19 Jan 2021

The Prozac Link (E4 5c)

Never yet combined being there with going well enough and decent conditions.

PawelP 19 Jan 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

Thanks Mike for pointing it out. I'm quite obsessed by that one actually; its been on my mind for years and i'm aware that pure technical difficulties are not the biggest factor here. as you said it's rather its length, tricky routefinding and poor rock.

I'm going to look up those you picked

Post edited at 16:48
 Jon Stewart 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Never yet combined being there with going well enough and decent conditions.

That's one of the handful of routes I'd like to do before I give up climbing. I've been to the crag once (and maybe once for a look in the rain), and bottled getting on it.

Chris Ebbutt 19 Jan 2021

The Wizard of Oz (7b S1)

Obviously stretching the "possibly capable" rule, but it is possible to work the sections and if there was no limit to how (same day) long I rested/refreshed on the obvious break points, I have always dreamt it could one day go.   

Cheers. Chris

LastBoyScout 19 Jan 2021

There's 2 routes that I've failed on in the past, so they are unfinished business, but I think it would have to be A Dream of White Horses (HVS 4c) at the moment.

climberchristy 19 Jan 2021
 Tom Valentine 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Not a healthy sounding grade, that, Jon 

Gawyllie 19 Jan 2021

The Needle is a great route and the Shelterstone is up there with the most spectacular places to climb in Scotland.

Anyway for me it's Eagle Ridge (Winter) (VI 6). Been wanting to climb it for years but I'm also determined to wait for good conditions. Would have got it last year if it wasn't for lockdown. I can't complain though as I had a good winter including getting no.2 on my list Labyrinth Direct (VII 6)

C Witter 19 Jan 2021

If I had to choose just one, I think it would be: Left Wall (E2 5c), but that would be a little bit of step up. Otherwise, I'm sorry but I have to be greedy and choose three:

1. Whit's End Direct (E1 5b) - personally, I feel this is the King Line of Gimmer...! Beautiful bright slab!
2. North West Passage (E1 5b) - because Al Evans said the FA was one of his best climbing days.
3. Cuillin Ridge Traverse (Summer) (VD) - because I've been plotting it with various friends for a few years, and it would be great to finally do it!

Post edited at 17:48
 Dave Garnett 19 Jan 2021

> Motorhead (6a+) is a route I would love to do, let me know if you need a partner. Rumour is its around E2.

Sounds about right.  We got rained off it too, and after doing the hard bits, which was vexing.

Edit: actually, looking at the log entries, maybe we didn't do all the hard pitches!

Post edited at 17:58
 dinodinosaur 19 Jan 2021

Resurrection (E4 6a)

If I can get out enough when we are allowed out and the weather is decent enough to get mileage in and find myself flowing and the cromlech in condition... A lot of things to come together considering my season is cut short this year due to work commitments in July through to November! I usually do a yearly ticklist but haven't bothered this year as it's going to be a suck it and see!

Really I just want to get out on rock and be in my happy trad place and not stuck inside 

Andy Clarke 19 Jan 2021

I think this stands a chance of being the most obscure route that comes up: Cat's Paw (E2 5c) on Craig Penmaen Brith but I spent an inordinate amount of time cleaning up this slab on a rainy couple of days a couple of years ago and I've never been in the right place at the right time with the right person to go back and lead the two routes on it. Great location on the far side of Lyn Gwynant, but very shady - so the longer I leave it, the more the moss will reclaim it. Mind you, I've spent so much time this lockdown sat at the keyboard that I think it's growing on me too.

Post edited at 18:12
 AJM 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

No, E2 is about right for Motorhead, as an overall package.

I thought I'd struggle a bit with this one, because I don't expect to get the chance to do much trad this year and whilst I've got a list of things I'd like to do (I identified a list of mostly SW classics I'd like to do at slightly more moderate grades) it'd be hard to pick one out above all the others, and the same is largely true for sport.

But then I thought a bit more and it became easy. It would take a good season, but I think a moderate chance of success is reasonable if things aligned. It's obviously logistically practical, and for me it stands head and shoulders above other potential ticks in its style.

Mark of the Beast (7c)

I’ve always wanted to do Bachar-Yerian (5.11d) but I’ll need to grow a bigger pair of cojones......

Steve Woollard 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Embarrassingly several routes locally, think it's time to put a list together 

alexm198 19 Jan 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

Good choice, Spigolo Nord is superb, in a perverse sort of way.

If borders are open, I'd like to finally have a crack at the Eiger Nordwand. If international travel is off the cards, maybe Michi Wohlleben's winter route on the West Face of the Schneefernerkopf.

Post edited at 18:24
In reply to LastBoyScout: It is a brilliant route in a fantastic location. I actually prefer The Concrete Dream (HVS 5a), but definitely do DOWH first visit.

AlanLittle 19 Jan 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

They'll build your character.

I prefer my choice - sounds somewhat similar to Agner except that you traverse in above the thousand metres of character building choss instead of climbing it.

Doug 19 Jan 2021

Well when I saw the title I though north face of the Dru, a route I retreated from many years ago. But then I saw "it must be a route that you have a reasonable chance of being successful on." 

AlanLittle 19 Jan 2021
In reply to C Witter:

> Whit's End Direct (E1 5b) - personally, I feel this is the King Line of Gimmer...! Beautiful bright slab!

Haven't done that but I remember Spring Bank right next to it being superb. Was E1 5c in the guide when I did it, which I thought was reasonable; definitely user friendly at E2 by Lakes standards.

In reply to C Witter: Left Wall (E2 5c) fully deserves its classic status. One of the best routes I’ve done, did it with my son which adds something to the experience.

Robert Durran 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Doug:

> Well when I saw the title I though north face of the Dru, a route I retreated from many years ago. But then I saw "it must be a route that you have a reasonable chance of being successful on." 

I nearly went for another go at the Franco/Argentine on Fitzroy before reading the OP properly!

tspoon1981 19 Jan 2021

Bulgy (Winter) (VII 7) or Prore (Winter) (VIII 7)

I'd hoped to have a look this year but lockdowns and a 1 year old have put a damper on winter climbing this season.

> Left Wall (E2 5c) fully deserves its classic status. One of the best routes I’ve done, did it with my son which adds something to the experience.

That's one of my regrets in life, and I have virtually none. I was going strongly in 1983, and should have got up it, but for some very strange reason I suddenly psyched out - having done some moves badly just before the crux - and bottled out and asked to be lowered off. Virtually unprecedented in all my climbing. It still haunts me slightly. ... well in old age you have to grin

deacondeacon 19 Jan 2021
In reply to dinodinosaur:

> If I can get out enough when we are allowed out and the weather is decent enough to get mileage in and find myself flowing and the cromlech in condition... A lot of things to come together considering my season is cut short this year due to work commitments in July through to November! I usually do a yearly ticklist but haven't bothered this year as it's going to be a suck it and see!

> Really I just want to get out on rock and be in my happy trad place and not stuck inside 

That's mine too! Would get it done by the end of the year (if we're ever allowed to go climbing again lol). 

TechnoJim 19 Jan 2021

The Resurrection (III), assuming good conditions, but a winter trip north of the border isn't really looking likely for 2021. Bummer.

In reply to Gordon Stainforth: I had built it up in my mind so much I was too scared to get on it in case I blew it. Then when I was in my mid 50’s I was at Ynys Etwas with my son and I picked up a climbing magazine. The article at the back was an interview of Ben Moon, and he was asked something like what advice he would give to his Younger self.... “never put off trying a route....you never know if you will get another chance. Got up the next morning, got on it and it went like a dream. It was similar thinking that made me start this thread, I’m hoping it will make people think of a route, think of the current situation, then we are let free, go and get on the route.

Also we all need some optimistic forum threads...

Post edited at 19:36
 colinakmc 19 Jan 2021
In reply to TechnoJim:

Snap! Brilliantly irrational choice for most wanted route, isn’t it?

I envy you ... The strange thing was that I tried it too soon. That very winter the huge Birmingham climbing wall opened, the biggest in the country. And I built up huge amounts of reserve strength and stamina there. But the next summer my career in the film industry took me away from it and I never quite got back to the same standard again. (E1 thirteen years later).

Jimbo C 19 Jan 2021
In reply to C Witter:

> 1. Whit's End Direct (E1 5b) - personally, I feel this is the King Line of Gimmer...! Beautiful bright slab!

This came into my mind before I read your post, so I have to agree. It's the kind of line that catches your eye immediately and makes you think 'I want to climb that' 

Removed User 19 Jan 2021

Left Wall, The Strand

That'd be a good day

In reply to Removed UserBilberry: You could have breakfast in Pete’s Eats, then climb Left Wall (E2 5c) in the sunshine, then drive over to Gogarth, maybe a quick route on Holyhead mountain on the walk in, then climb The Strand (E2 5b) in the evening sun. Then back to the Vaynol for a pint. 

CM 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin Orion (6c)Orion Direct - Tower Variations (VI 5)

Its attainable but will never be easy

Barrington 19 Jan 2021

Eagle Front & Cenotaph Corner for me. Doable, but just been putting them off for too long.

Removed User 19 Jan 2021

> You could have breakfast in Pete’s Eats, then climb Left Wall (E2 5c) in the sunshine, then drive over to Gogarth, maybe a quick route on Holyhead mountain on the walk in, then climb The Strand (E2 5b) in the evening sun. Then back to the Vaynol for a pint. 

Exactly.  Just the small issue of being weak, talentless, carrying a covid kilo or two, and a year out of practice...

DaveHK 19 Jan 2021
In reply to TechnoJim:

> The Resurrection (III), assuming good conditions, but a winter trip north of the border isn't really looking likely for 2021. Bummer.

I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or not but I think the climbing is a bit overrated. The situations are definitely 3 star though.

Post edited at 21:26
 oldie 19 Jan 2021

Avernus. Not the short route of character at Swanage but the one on the Lleyn peninsula which is as open and long as the former is short and enclosed.

I should have done it years ago as it was then HS and over 1000ft long. Sadly for me it has shrunk in length and is now HVS in UKC logbook.   

Post edited at 21:36
 gooberman-hill 19 Jan 2021

Depending on how lockdown and international travel goes, it could be either Thin Wall Special (E1 5b) or North Ridge (D).

Steve

dominic o 19 Jan 2021

Great thread! Reminds me of a tactic I once adopted of setting my password to be the name of a route I really wanted to do. It got me up Prana (E3 5c)Star Wars (E4 5c) and The Axe (E4 6a) - I wrote a piece about it for The Rucksack Club Journal https://doughton.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/secret-words-getting-psyched-f...

Now all I need to do is work out the Secret Words for post lockdown... 

Tom Last 19 Jan 2021

Go screaming up (or off) Freeborn Man (E4 6a), then get pissed in The Square and Compass

In reply to oldie: Good call, that’s a route I’ve always wanted to do, but always find it hard to turn left before Anglesey rather than carrying straight on to Gogarth.

Post edited at 21:47
 HansStuttgart 19 Jan 2021

Cordier Pillar

Jon Stewart 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> That's one of my regrets in life, and I have virtually none. I was going strongly in 1983, and should have got up it, but for some very strange reason I suddenly psyched out - having done some moves badly just before the crux - and bottled out and asked to be lowered off. Virtually unprecedented in all my climbing. It still haunts me slightly. ... well in old age you have to grin

If it's any consolation, I've made an utter balls-up of most of the aspirational mega-routes I've attempted. I made a total dog's breakfast of Sugar Cane Country (E4 6a); on Elegy (E2 5c) I ended up stranded in the middle of the slab after taking a wrong turn and had to get rescued (my excuse for this is that I'd taken a really odd drug the night before and was still operating as though reality was on the other side of a screen); but my crowning glory was obsessing over Eroica (E4 6a) for more than a decade, wobbling up to the crux, going up and down a few times, finally committing, then changing my mind and taking a massive screamer off the oh-so-heroic downclimbing. Classic.

Managed Resurrection and Left Wall OK though. So in the encyclopaedia of my regrets, they don't have an entry.

In reply to HansStuttgart: Cordier Pillar (TD+ 6b) A route I’ve often wondered if I am capable of, probably not nowadays. However, with the right partner and after a good spell of climbing I would certainly give it a go. It’s the route length rather than the grade that is intimidating.

TechnoJim 19 Jan 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

Yeah, it's definitely more for the general vibe than the climbing, big day out in the NW, splendid. Ah well.

I'm going to start going to the mountains outside of winter this year, seeing as how my usual work schedule is now totally bollocksed, got me eye on Squareface as soon as I can head north again.

Mark Bannan 19 Jan 2021

For rock, definitely Gob on Carnmore.

Mark Stevenson 19 Jan 2021

Simples... 

Beyond Good and Evil (ED2)

Pretty much been top of my wishlist ever since I read Mark Twight's Extreme Alpinism many, many years ago.

Probably Shibboleth (E2 5c). Its localish for me but I've just never had a partner / conditions / or been too injured to climb it ( standing at the bottom and realised my shoulder was just totally messed up ).

In a way its quite nice having a route like that waiting to do though. Something to look forward to.

Winter wise it'd be Orion Face Direct (V 5) for obvious reasons. Just waiting for the stars to align for a good day in March, midweek to get it less busy and have an available partner.

TomPearce63 19 Jan 2021

Gotta go with either The Aghori (E9 7a) or Sky Burial (E7 6a) (If 2 is allowed...?)

Post edited at 22:37
 henwardian 19 Jan 2021

Naked solo of Half Baked (E5 6a), partly because I'm starting a new business so it needs to be something local or it would never get done this year.

btw, great idea for a thread, there are several people who I might have to hit up because the routes they listed here would be on my wish list any day!

In reply to Mark Bannan: I had one of my most memorable days on Carnmore. Walk in took 4 1/2 hours,then locating the bottom of the route and gearing up another hour. Climbed Dragon (E1 5b) then Gob (HVS 4c), then walked out, 18 hour day. When we got back to the car we had something to eat and drink then fell asleep in the car. To top it off one of the photos from the day is in Hard Rock 2020.

Fantastic crag, should be on everyone’s list of places to visit.

In reply to Mark Stevenson: You realise that in December 2021 I am going to check whether everyone has delivered on their ambitions, you’ve set yourself a high bar.

In reply to TomPearce63: Good luck with that, you are making the older generation of climbers feel...old.

overdrawnboy 19 Jan 2021

Little Brown Jug (VS 5a)Looks so good. Seemed too easy to lead  and too hard to solo when I was young and easy. Now it has become a possibly attainable goal given luck with work, weather, wellbeing and willpower. Three years ago when my man and I made our tentative return to climbing we had Right Angle as our ultimate goal. It turned out to be one of the best experiences of my climbing life, we were watched from the top by his 85 year old dad who was there on my first climb back in 1972. Not sure LBJ would match this if we ever got up it but it's got me thinking about climbing and reading guide books again.

Post edited at 23:51
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> If it's any consolation, I've made an utter balls-up of most of the aspirational mega-routes I've attempted. I made a total dog's breakfast of Sugar Cane Country (E4 6a); on Elegy (E2 5c) I ended up stranded in the middle of the slab after taking a wrong turn and had to get rescued (my excuse for this is that I'd taken a really odd drug the night before and was still operating as though reality was on the other side of a screen);

Gosh, Elegy, I failed to second that! Couldn't do those extremely teetery moves left across the slab (or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong route?) 

> Managed Resurrection and Left Wall OK though. So in the encyclopaedia of my regrets, they don't have an entry.

How about Right Wall? Sounds like you might have been able to do that. Loads of friends of mine right back in the early 80s were telling me that, although it was badly protected, it was really only E4 5c, except on the second pitch for one move.

In reply to overdrawnboy:

> Little Brown Jug (VS 5a)Looks so good. Seemed too easy to lead  and too hard to solo when I was young and easy. Now it has become a possibly attainable goal given luck with work, weather, wellbeing and willpower.

LBJ is simply a beautiful route on perfect rock. Not too high in the grade, but still VS, and reasonably protected. The top pitch, that some people make a fuss about, is just "2b at Harrison's" laybacking for few feet.

Gabe Oliver 20 Jan 2021

Probably Warpath (E5 6a) at Rhoscolyn or Right Wall (E5 6a) if I can finally find my big boy pants this year haha

Michael Gordon 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Mark Bannan:

> For rock, definitely Gob on Carnmore.

Brilliant route. I don't think you'll be disappointed

cb294 20 Jan 2021

My current dream route is La Belle Helene, Pointe Helene, Grand Jorasses.

With a bit of luck I will move much closer to the Alps this summer, so who knows, maz even get fit enough again once I get rid of my "coronaspeck"

CB

Dewi Williams 20 Jan 2021
In reply to overdrawnboy:

It was 40yrs ago since I did LBJ but I still remember thinking what a great route it was. Some climbs stay long in the memory long after others have faded away.

SenzuBean 20 Jan 2021
In reply to C Witter:

Left Wall (E2 5c) for me as well - unlikely to get a shot for years at this rate, and maybe never.

fammer 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Gabe Oliver:

Nice Gabe, some good aspirational routes there; would be good to get out together again this year if the weather allows.

For my own choice, it's a hard one, but after botching Resurrection (E4 6a) last summer I really do need to go and finish it off. Who knows, maybe Right Wall will also be a possibility.

Tom Valentine 20 Jan 2021

I'm surprised that anyone says "only" in front of E4 5c. As I said to Jon, that is a serious sounding grade.  Is my thinking too linear in equating it to E1 4c?

Baron Weasel 20 Jan 2021

Point 5 gully

I remember looking up at it 16 or 17 years ago thinking that's the famous Point 5, I'd love to climb that one day, but at the back of my mind it was unattainable.

Since then I've been slowly 'chipping away' at my winter skill set and investing in better equipment and now I'm chomping at the bit to have a go. It nearly happened two years ago but my partner cancelled on me last minute...

I'm now resigned to the fact that it's probably not happening this winter, but it'll still be there next season. 

Gabe Oliver 20 Jan 2021
In reply to fammer:

Definitely mate. Resurrection's on the list as well. Saw your notes about coming off near the top, brutal! Gimme a shout when you're heading up for a rematch. 

Hope you're well!

Mark Stevenson 20 Jan 2021

Two of my climbing partners did it last year, so it has gone from being slightly improbable to marginally more within the realms of the possible... 

Robert Durran 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> I'm surprised that anyone says "only" in front of E4 5c. As I said to Jon, that is a serious sounding grade.  Is my thinking too linear in equating it to E1 4c?

Yes, I think so. Extrapolating to E5 6a or E6 6b you get pretty standard grades.

McHeath 20 Jan 2021

Still hoping for a few weeks in the Peak, Wales and the Lakes in the Autumn - I moved to Berlin when I was 23, I'm now 61 and have a list of unticked UK classics as long as your arm. But since we have to have a reasonable chance of doing the route, I'll assume continuing travel problems and stick to one closer to home: Leistenzauber (VII+) at the magnificent  Löbejün quarry near Halle in the German state of Saxony-Anhält. The grade translates to around E3 5c; I tried the onsight last year and fell off the crux a few times, so I'd be very satisfied with that. 

Toccata 20 Jan 2021

Nordic Flower L1 (8b+)

Spent the best part of  5 years on this. I can do all the moves but doing more then 2 in a row is proving tricky. I am certain I will never climb it but is the most beautiful route in the the most amazing location.

Derek Furze 20 Jan 2021

It is a compelling thread, though I can't decide if it helps motivation or builds more frustration!  It is really difficult to choose as there are always so many great routes to do.  

Despite living in the Lakes at one point and going to university in Lancaster, I have somehow missed out on doing very much up on Scafell.  I going to pick The Nazgul (E3 5c), which is very aspirational, but would have suited me once upon a time.  Now, back to the pull ups and the fingerboard!

Edited for grammar!

Post edited at 09:31
 mark s 20 Jan 2021

Ray's roof at baldstones 

Have a few others but rules is rules 

Odd, that, There's no way of viewing E1 4c as a "standard" grade, is there?

In reply to Derek Furze: I did the last pitch of The Nazgul (E3 5c) last year as an alternative finish to Central Buttress (E1 5b), superb pitch. I’d really like to get back on Scafell Crag this year, not sure I’m up to leading The Nazgul but I’d happily follow someone.

Jon Stewart 20 Jan 2021

> I did the last pitch of The Nazgul (E3 5c) last year as an alternative finish to Central Buttress (E1 5b), superb pitch. I’d really like to get back on Scafell Crag this year, not sure I’m up to leading The Nazgul but I’d happily follow someone.

Do Saxon (E2 5c) then. It's mega! 

> Odd, that, There's no way of viewing E1 4c as a "standard" grade, is there?

No, it is bound to be really serious. If you go up an adjectival grade, the standard tech grade goes up less less than one notch. E1 5b is standard. E5 6c is not ( to look at it the other way round)

> That's one of my regrets in life, and I have virtually none. I was going strongly in 1983, and should have got up it, but for some very strange reason I suddenly psyched out - having done some moves badly just before the crux - and bottled out and asked to be lowered off. 

The moves up right to the rest before the "crux" actually is the crux! I belayed one partner who wasn't expecting that bit to be hard and fluffed it. And another who did that bit, and assuming the top bit would be harder, got psyched out and hung on the rope when it was really in the bag.

beardy mike 20 Jan 2021
In reply to PawelP:

Can totally understand the obsession. In the exuberance of youth we decided it would be the first route we did in the Dolomites. After a casual start, we ended up stuck in the first amphitheatre with 1 ice axe between 4 and a massive rock solid snow field to traverse... we spent a night on a ledge on the way back down. I went back a few years to finish it off. The situations you are in is kind of mind bending and worthwhile for that...

Wow, what a whole lot of psyche there is within this thread.

Some great answers too, both in terms of those I've done and those I haven't.

When it comes to the route I'd most like to do I'm going to throw in a curveball, because it 's not actually a route, but does follow 'a route' of sorts - it's the Bob Graham.

I was down to do it last year, and had put a lot of time and effort into training for it throughout the winter, but when my appendix ruptured in February those plans immediately went out the window. Whilst I haven't put in anyway near as many hours training this year I'm just going to aim to have a go, have fun, and hopefully finish it.

In many ways it'd be a big physical and psychological milestone, because I really can't overstate just how f**ked I was after my appendix ruptured - or how close I was to dying. Life, painful though it was for a while, has never felt so good since and I just feel lucky to be alive - let alone try to finish off the dream of doing the Bob Graham.

Dave Garnett 20 Jan 2021
In reply to mark s:

> Ray's roof at baldstones 

I used to have a strange fascination with this, but it would take serious work to get fit enough to try it now.  Let me know if you need someone to hold your rope/spot!

It says something about my present mood that I'm struggling to think about anything I really want to do.  Loads of vague aspirations or unrealistic dreams but a route I really, really want to do and am prepared to put some sustained effort into making it achievable, geographically as well as physically?  I'll try to get inspired.

Post edited at 10:13
In reply to Jon Stewart: I’ll see how well i am going later this year. (I think you have put a link to the wrong Saxon!)

Derek Furze 20 Jan 2021

Neither am I (sure I'm up to leading it).  However, I have a date with Scafell in mind to help Chris Gooder with Ichabod, so it gives me a very good training target and a reason to get strong!

Excellent thread Martin. I have great memories of doing Cordier Pillar (TD+ 6b) in 1981. It’s a brilliant route, hope you get the opportunity to do it.

Post edited at 10:28
 AlexMorris 20 Jan 2021

Absolutely loving the gritstone at the min, so gonna have to go with Gaia (E8 6c). Beautiful feature, loads of history, big fall potential - dream route really. Just hoping there's still some friction left in the grit by the time we leave lockdown

Post edited at 10:26
 C Witter 20 Jan 2021
In reply to SenzuBean: It's pretty iconic! It always looks intense in photos - e.g. the one on the front of the Rockfax N Wales guide (though this does make it look much steeper than it is!). The climbing appeals to me: long, sustained, vertical crack - good gear but plenty of opportunities to fluff moves. No opportunities to back off, except weighting gear or lobbing. It would be a great benchmark, too.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Do Saxon (E2 5c) then. It's mega! 

I really, really must get to Scafell sometime. Mad that I've never been on it in nearly forty years climbing! But at least it means I still have those mega-classics to look forward to. About time I ventured south of the border again after nearly four years anyway (once Nicola lets me!).

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

The Bob Graham round is a perfectly legitimate answer and a great objective. 
It sounds like you had a rough time and I can relate your situation about being glad to just be alive. Despite being fit and skinny I had a heart attack 4 years ago at the age of 54(4 years ago tomorrow to be precise) and it does change your perspective. I decided i would train and see if i could run a marathon, managed it a year later(3:28). Then i smashed my ankle really badly 2 1/2 years ago and it looked like id never climb or run again, but im back at it and every route feels like a victory.

In reply to Derek Furze: Well I’ve done Ichabod (E2 5c), excellent route. I don’t think you should be helping Chris tick any more hard rock routes, I want to make sure I’ve ticked more of the list than him!

Jon Stewart 20 Jan 2021

> I’ll see how well i am going later this year. (I think you have put a link to the wrong Saxon!)

Right grade, wrong crag. Don't do that one, sounds shite.

AJM 20 Jan 2021

It stops working quite so linearly about E2/3, in that 5b and 5c are fairly standard grades for E2 and 5c/6a for E3 in a way that 5a and 5b aren't quite for E1. Middle of the road E4 tech grade is probably 6a, so E4 5c is maybe more like E1 5a than E1 4c?

Jon Stewart 20 Jan 2021

> I really, really must get to Scafell sometime. Mad that I've never been on it in nearly forty years climbing! But at least it means I still have those mega-classics to look forward to. 

It's not really that mad (well, 40 years is plenty of time) because it's usually only going to be in condition the same time Scottish mountain crags and/or Cloggy is in. When there's a heatwave, I always head to Scafell (or Pillar, Gable Crag, etc), so I've done almost nothing on Cloggy, and literally nothing in the Scottish mountains over 20 years.

Jon Stewart 20 Jan 2021
In reply to AJM:

> Middle of the road E4 tech grade is probably 6a, so E4 5c is maybe more like E1 5a than E1 4c?

I don't consider E4 5c massively scary on big crags. Maybe a bit bold, but probably more sustained than anything. Could be seriously smashy-uppy on grit though.

Sean Kelly 20 Jan 2021

Rock: Left Wall

Winter: Orion Face

Alps: Comici Route

Got really fit by the end of Feb '20 and really hoping to get on LW last summer but Covid restrictions did for me. Walked up quite a few times to do it but someone was always stuck on it or retreating to it from Resurrection.

Should have ticked OF in 2013 but couldn't get a partner for the week in was in perfect nick. The next week a big thaw greeted us!

Post edited at 10:53

Bloody hell Martin, that's a rough ride!! As you say though, each and every route you do after these sorts of experiences just feels amazing doesn't it.

Incidentally, The Needle (E1 5b) is a great choice. Shelterstone is such an awe-inspiring crag and Loch Avon makes for a beautiful backdrop. I haven't done much there in summer, but what I have done - The Needle (E1 5b), Steeple (E2 5c) and The Pin (E2 5b) - have all been highly memorable experiences.

It's definitely somewhere I'd like to go back to, but I really need to visit Carnmore Crag first. 

Too many places, too little time!!

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing: I think a new forum topic, “What crag would you most like to visit in 2021, that you’ve never been to...” would be interesting.

AJM 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I can't recall whether I've done one (having checked, Grand Alliance isn't - so probably I've experienced it on some of the pitches on Amanita Muscarina albeit my lead pitch was the 6a one in the middle).

But that's not that different to how I'd describe E1 5a - normally a bit necky on grit/outcrops but potentially more sustained/spacey on big cliffs.

Jon Stewart 20 Jan 2021
In reply to AJM:

> But that's not that different to how I'd describe E1 5a

Agree (sorry if it sounded like I was disagreeing). It's a quirk of the system that there isn't a grade of this character at E2 but E3 5b can be like this, e.g. Ocean Boulevard (E3 5b).

RobAJones 20 Jan 2021

> I really, really must get to Scafell sometime.

Still vividly remember Botterill's Slab, 25 years ago, after work and in the sunshine.

For this thread Salbitschijen, West ridge.

Might be possible this summer, after training during the lock downs and seeing the effect of the first in September I actually think  the limiting factor is now going to be my left knee. 

andyinglis 20 Jan 2021
In reply to tspoon1981:

> I'd hoped to have a look this year but lockdowns and a 1 year old have put a damper on winter climbing this season.

Better to do the direct version of Prore!

In reply to AJM:

Good explanation ( though from my experience of them, E1 5a should still set the alarm bells off a bit)

james.slater 20 Jan 2021

Right Wall Right Wall (E5 6a)

Been a dream route since I started leading in the mud at Symonds Yat 15 years ago. I went for it on probably the last day of good autumn weather and botched it right up between the first two ledges, losing the treasured onsight.

So with winter and lockdowns, the rat is gnawing...

AJM 20 Jan 2021

Thanks!

I've not been on either Prozac Link or Right Wall, so treat all that follows with a pinch of salt, but I thought that if we say E1 5a and E4 5c might mean vaguely similar things about the experience that Prozac Link was more of a The Smile (E1 5b) or a Rock Idol (E1 5a) than it was a [insert stereotypical necky grit E1 5a here - I'm not very familiar so don't have a good example]. Having watched people on Right Wall there certainly look to be some sections moving a reasonable way from gear, although I think it's mostly more in the long clean fall territory than risking deck out (although I thought you could potentially clip your ankles on the foot ledges if you came off and stayed quite close to the wall rather than coming out a bit.).

Gary Gibson 20 Jan 2021

Considering my current health condition following a stroke affecting my left hand and trapped ulna and median nerve in my right arm, I would so love to Return to Lundy to do A Widespread Ocean of Fear again but I think that’s a while off at the moment?

beardy mike 20 Jan 2021
In reply to AlanLittle:

Have you had the chance to venture into the Lagorai yet right opposite the Pala? I've now done a few of the routes on Tognazza and they are all stellar, honestly three of the best days climbing I've ever had. The rock there is Porphyry, and it forms as massive slabs with crack lines sometimes. 250m high and an easy walk in. I really want to get to Colbricon next to do a route there as there are 450m routes on the same rock and nobody does them! 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/tognazza-22250

andyinglis 20 Jan 2021
In reply to AJM:

> Thanks!

> I've not been on either Prozac Link or Right Wall, so treat all that follows with a pinch of salt, but I thought that if we say E1 5a and E4 5c might mean vaguely similar things about the experience that Prozac Link was more of a The Smile (E1 5b) or a Rock Idol (E1 5a) than it was a [insert stereotypical necky grit E1 5a here - I'm not very familiar so don't have a good example]. Having watched people on Right Wall there certainly look to be some sections moving a reasonable way from gear, although I think it's mostly more in the long clean fall territory than risking deck out (although I thought you could potentially clip your ankles on the foot ledges if you came off and stayed quite close to the wall rather than coming out a bit.).

Prozac link has well protected 5c climbing, less well protected 5a/b bits, and the grade (all be it on the soft side for E4) reflects the 'experience' of a committing 4 pitch route in a route location etc. No (standalone) pitch warrants e4.

Right Wall - I don't recall the bolder sections being particularly hard. Up to the first ledge is tricky, and passing the porthole at the top might be the hardest moves...? I've read it described as 3 x e4 pitches separated by ledges, which felt about right.

tlouth7 20 Jan 2021

Definitely Les Enfants de la Dalle (6a+), went there specifically to try it but it never stopped raining!

I'm also keen to do a sea stack at some point, not terribly fussed as to which.

AlanLittle 20 Jan 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

Sadly not. I don't get down there that often - last summer's planned Pala trip was nixed by an injured partner and iffy weather forecast - and have never set foot on Porphyry

Rick51 20 Jan 2021

My all time regret is Comes The Dervish. At it's original E5 grade I thought it was 2 grades too hard for me and then I gave up climbing pretty much in 1986. I thought it would be good comeback route to do at 40, then 50, by 60 I'd written it off completely but starting climbing again at 70 it's reared its head again, mostly just a dream but, there in the back of my mind, just maybe ...

Sean Kelly 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Rick51:

If you can sort out that polished bold start, the rest is just steady and well protected.

Carless 20 Jan 2021

> Motorhead (6a+) is a route I would love to do, let me know if you need a partner. Rumour is its around E2.

I should have a partner but I'll bear you in mind

Couple of mates who had to back off it (started too late) in 2019 thought it very good value E2

Dave Garnett 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Rick51:

> My all time regret is Comes The Dervish. At it's original E5 grade I thought it was 2 grades too hard for me and then I gave up climbing pretty much in 1986. I thought it would be good comeback route to do at 40, then 50, by 60 I'd written it off completely but starting climbing again at 70 it's reared its head again, mostly just a dream but, there in the back of my mind, just maybe ...

I think that over 70 you are allowed a bouldering pad under the start.  In fact, I think I might use one if I ever do it again.

In reply to Rick51: I reckon its steady for E3, a few microwires in the first 15ft make it reasonably safe.

Dave Garnett 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Gary Gibson:

> Considering my current health condition following a stroke affecting my left hand and trapped ulna and median nerve in my right arm, I would so love to Return to Lundy to do A Widespread Ocean of Fear again but I think that’s a while off at the moment?

That's a good shout - never did get to do it.

French Erick 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Alkis:

Are winter routes allowed?

if so:The Citadel (VII 8)

AlanLittle 20 Jan 2021

Is it even still possible to get to the start? I wonder if anybody made it into Vivian to have a look between the big rockfall and Lockdown.

beardy mike 20 Jan 2021
In reply to AlanLittle:

It's really worthwhile crossing the valley - it's a different world, with views to the Pala which are, shall we say, easy on the eye. I just found some info on Colbricon here as the guidebook is out of print it would seem:

http://www.scuolagraffer.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&a...

C Witter 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Great choices! So many fantastic Robin Smith routes. Someone put this list together: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=163

I'd love to do Leverage (E1 5b) and Shibboleth.

Andy Moles 20 Jan 2021
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Is it even still possible to get to the start [of Comes the Dervish]?

Yes, but not by walking. I imagine someone will pop an abseil station onto the tower above Gin Palace at some point, that will be the easiest way to access the Dervish slab. As it is you could abseil off various anchors up there.

Andy Moles 20 Jan 2021

> I reckon its steady for E3, a few microwires in the first 15ft make it reasonably safe.

How long ago did you climb it? When I last climbed the Dervish last year I didn't think any of the microwires in the first 5m were even worth placing, all blown out. I don't think it's sound advice to call the start 'reasonably safe'.

Gazmataz 20 Jan 2021

Mandarin (E2 5c) Unfortunately access restrictions mean that you can only climb it for a very limited time of the year and I couldn't get to it last year. My brother is moving from Lancashire to Dorset soon so that also makes the trip up from London to do it less convenient. I haven't managed to tick E2 yet but I've had a close go on a similarly long route in Dorset so I'm optimistic with some lockdown training 

Bulls Crack 20 Jan 2021

Something on the top tier? 

Neil Henson 20 Jan 2021

Blue Sky at Pembroke. Was looking forward to getting on it throughout 2020. First trip cancelled due to lockdown. 2nd trip cancelled due to Welsh Government advising against all non-essential travel. 

Hopefully 2021 will be the year. 

joe.91 20 Jan 2021

Depends where I can get too this year, I'd love to get back to NW Scotland and try Call of the Wild at Lochan Dubh, if not and I'm Lakes bound probably Snickersnack or Air on a Bowstring. 

In reply to Andy Moles: I did it in 2017, maybe my recollection is a bit hazy, certainly not wanting to sandbag anyone.

In reply to Gazmataz: Brilliant choice, it is a superb route, probably the best gritstone route I’ve done.

Lots of great routes so far. Im surprised no one has mentioned East Face Route (Original Route) (E1 5b) or Centurion (HVS 5a) or Vector (E2 5c)

French Erick 20 Jan 2021
In reply to French Erick:

If not, in the UK:

Freebird (E4 6a)

in the US:

Astroman (5.11c)

The latter is aspirational as I think it’ll always be beyond me 

ATL 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Christheclimber:

with you on this one... if you stand at the bottom of it you can't avoid dreaming about the possibility..... just maybe.....!

Matt Podd 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Moles:

Agreed. A friend of mine who was a Guide badly broke his leg falling off the start. After the first 30ish ft its safe. Glad I did it when it was E5!

Andy Moles 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Matt Podd:

Less than 30ft these days. Possibly due to a shard of rock coming out at some point, the first fat wire you do get at about 15ft is so good it might as well be a bolt.

I think taking a bouldering mat would be a perfectly reasonable approach for anyone on Comes the Dervish, over 70 or not (only now you'll have to abseil with it, or chuck it down and hope it doesn't go all the way...).

With the start padded the route is probably E2, comparable to Pull My Daisy. 

Will Hempstead 20 Jan 2021

It will be Direct Nose Route (Winter) (VII 7) until I finally do it. Stunning line, stunning setting, its been on the list since I did it as an HVS a few years ago. Its probably been hyped up disproportionately in my mind but thats always the way.

tspoon1981 20 Jan 2021
In reply to andyinglis:

I'd be happy with either version to be honest. Run out ledge shuffling suits me more than any burly climbing though. 

Dave Garnett 20 Jan 2021
In reply to French Erick:

> in the US:

> The latter is aspirational as I think it’ll always be beyond me 

Ok, If we’re allowed to travel, I’ve thought of good one:

Flower of High Rank (5.9)

It’s good because it’s perfectly doable assuming I get back to being functionally fit, and it would require me to get back to a favourite place to see and climb with some favourite people.  And I’ve wanted to do it for ages.

French Erick 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Will Hempstead:

It’s a truly amazing day out. Not sustained but the difficulty is up.

money of my great days out in Scotland- top 10!

> Ok, If we’re allowed to travel, I’ve thought of good one:

> It’s good because it’s perfectly doable.

Yes, a lovely route. Only visited briefly, but Taquitz/Suicide is brilliant and seems to be a bit off the UK radar, though it is easily combined with Joshua Tree. Must go back and do some of the longer routes.

Mark Bannan 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Gawyllie:

Hi Graham. Rather you than me for Eagle Ridge in winter! I found it exciting enough in summer! So what rock route do you want to do most?

Vigier 20 Jan 2021

Know how you feel. Only been to N. Wales twice, first time early in climbing career. Second time - early 90’s- went up to Dinas Cromlech and lead Cenotaph Corner will no problems. Unfortunately, young guy ( I was in my early 40’s) was peeling off Left Wall and that psyched me out so didn’t venture onto it; past it now but been a bit of a regret ever since but, hey - ho that’s the way it goes. 

PS Made up for it a bit the following day O/S The Strand then DoWH - remember that, although I had just got back from Spain with a tan, the backs of my legs got burnt on the traverse as I was wearing shorts - happy days!

PPS Still hoping I might manage to get up Shangi La on Skye this year. Centurion if I can get myself fit enough.

Post edited at 21:09
 markfairbank 20 Jan 2021

Great thread, good for inspiration given current times.

I love climbing trips to north Wales so would have to be one of the classic E3s in the Pass or on the slate for me. I’ll go for Foil (E3 6a)

Mark Bannan 20 Jan 2021

Great stuff! I think I would struggle on Dragon in my current overweight middle-aged state, but I do Fancy Fionn Buttress, Black Mischief and Gob.

Did you have bikes to ease the walk in? I've only been in to do the Munros, but I found a bike priceless.

Mark Bannan 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I'm sure I wont! If I do get it done, I wonder how it compares in quality and enjoyment to Centurion, Vulcan Wall, Trophy Crack and Bludger's?

In reply to Mark Bannan: Walked in and out and really enjoyed it, I was reasonably fit at the time.

Mark Bannan 20 Jan 2021

> Walked in and out and really enjoyed it, I was reasonably fit at the time.

I would suggest you were very fit! When Captain Solo (RIP) and I did Point Five in 2007, we took 4 hours climbing time for the route and the Grade IV variation finish. I know I was reasonably fit then, but not up to your standard!

Michael Gordon 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Mark Bannan:

> If I do get it done, I wonder how it compares in quality and enjoyment to Centurion, Vulcan Wall, Trophy Crack and Bludger's?

It's definitely up there with those. It's hard to beat Centurion. 

Mark Bannan 20 Jan 2021

> It's definitely up there with those. It's hard to beat Centurion. 

Agreed! Definitely the best rock route I've ever done (alas, also with Captain Solo), even better than The Needle or Trophy Crack.

ro8x 20 Jan 2021

I’ll go with A dream of white horses. Always been on my to do list. 

SenzuBean 20 Jan 2021
In reply to C Witter:

> It's pretty iconic! It always looks intense in photos - e.g. the one on the front of the Rockfax N Wales guide (though this does make it look much steeper than it is!). The climbing appeals to me: long, sustained, vertical crack - good gear but plenty of opportunities to fluff moves. No opportunities to back off, except weighting gear or lobbing. It would be a great benchmark, too.

It reminds me very much of Exasperator (5.10c), which I have climbed - also a long steep finger crack with a lightning-bolt shape (uncanny resemblance actually), and famous as a classic benchmark at the grade (5.10c is pretty much E2 5c - same grade basically!)

cb294 20 Jan 2021

Yes, definitely time for the next Genetics Society meeting in San Diego, and a few days in Tahquitz / Suicide!

I really don't think travelling 10.000 km is justified just for climbing for a couple of weeks, so I am stuck with combining it with scientific meetings and a tour of giving talks at the labs of friends several unis afterwards.

CB

Dave Garnett 20 Jan 2021
In reply to cb294:

> I really don't think travelling 10.000 km is justified just for climbing for a couple of weeks,

I’m usually in San Diego for a couple of weeks every quarter, and I have think of something to do at the weekend.  Fortunately, I have friends in Idyllwild!

Mark Kemball 21 Jan 2021

Botterill's Slab (VS 4c) - been on my "to do" list since about 1975, maybe this year...

I'm impressed by the degree of optimism being expressed here. Personally my goals are lower. I should like to climb any route - any route at all.

jcm

In reply to Mark Bannan:

I walked in and out and did Dragon and Gob, and I can assure you that I was not 'very fit', neither before nor, and more especially, afterwards.

jcm

Gawyllie 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Mark Bannan:

My heads in winter mode at the moment but its probably Angel Face (E2 5c)  Beinn Eighe is really a brilliant place to climb and I like steep stuff!

Not done Gob but got a good look at it from Dragon. Looks good. Another spectacular cliff.

Post edited at 07:02
 GrahamD 21 Jan 2021

I'm not sure whether this is "above all others" but certainly the longest (unattempted) route is the Messner on the Second Sella Tower in the Dolomites.

It's over 20 years since I've climbed in the Dolomites, when we had a great time hoovering up long easier lines.  I was always taken by the idea of a long (by UK standards) and hard (by my standards) (VI).

Messner being the icon and the Second Sella tower being so prominent with an apparently pure line straight up the N face sowed the seed of desire back then.

andyinglis 21 Jan 2021
In reply to tspoon1981:

Just a great position and line to be climbing. More 'climbing' on the direct and probably safer (no risk of the pendulum back into the corner). My only suggestion would be doing when not icy! 

Michael Gordon 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Mark Bannan:

> Definitely the best rock route I've ever done (alas, also with Captain Solo), even better than The Needle

Dunno, the Shelterstone routes feel like more of an adventure to me, with Carn Dearg Buttress being more mountain cragging    

In reply to Michael Gordon: i have only walked into Shelterstone once snd that was in winter. I have been to Carn Dearg buttress plenty of times and agree it doesnt have quite the same remote feel, but only by Scottish standards. Torro (E2 5c) is possibly the best E2 i have done and felt adventurous enough.

toooldgoat 21 Jan 2021

Never mind dreaming Martin, you should be getting some mileage on your indoor wall!

Interesting reading about Left Wall and climbing with your son. On that basis I'm picking one specifically to pull off with Billy Lawrence - Gogarth E1.  We both have it on the 'wish list' but it would be special to do it with 'the boy'.

Andy Lawrence

Dave Garnett 21 Jan 2021

> Yes, a lovely route. Only visited briefly, but Taquitz/Suicide is brilliant and seems to be a bit off the UK radar, though it is easily combined with Joshua Tree. Must go back and do some of the longer routes.

Yes, it's easily accessible from San Diego or Los Angeles but feels quite alpine.  I've done a couple of easy longer Tahquitz routes (variations on Fingertrip and North East Face West) and some of the classics on Suicide but missed my chance to do Flower after we did Guillotine and have been kicking myself ever since.

At the right time of year you can climb on sun-baked slabs on Suicide and ice on the north side of Tahquitz on the same weekend (and I have!) 

AlanLittle 21 Jan 2021
In reply to McHeath:

I like your grade translation. There’s a tendency to think of VII+ as about sport 6b+, 6c-ish, but in the Frankenjura it often bloody well isn't if Kurt Albert bolted it! 

George_Surf 21 Jan 2021

> I'm surprised that anyone says "only" in front of E4 5c. As I said to Jon, that is a serious sounding grade.  Is my thinking too linear in equating it to E1 4c?

U.K. trad grades have got their limitations. Without a good description e4 5c could be super safe and mega sustained (arms race Avon gorge?) or one 5c move above a death fall (Taurus - Cloggy?). Hopefully the guide says safe and tiring...

In reply to toooldgoat: It’s s too cold in the garage to get on the wall.

Gogarth (E1 5b) is a good route and one that many climbers target, but its actually not that great and has one pitch that is much harder than the rest. Three VS pitches with a tough E1 pitch. You and Billy would be better off aiming for Resolution Direct (E2 5b) which is absolutely brilliant, the hard bits are well protected.

SiobhanStraver 21 Jan 2021

This is a great thread, so much psyche. 

Sport for me- would love to send Road Rage (7b+) this year. Not sure if it’s a pipe dream but I’m stoked just to even try and get into that kind of shape.

Trad wise, aiming for my first grit E1, but haven’t picked which yet. Will require sorting out my gear/head/grit technique so hopefully can get enough time on the rock.  

ro8x 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Mark Kemball:

had a great day out on that way back in the early days of my climbing career. What a position it puts you in on the slab. 

emitto 21 Jan 2021

Dreadnought (E3 5c)

Did Moonraker a few years back, looking out from the corner pitch at the traverse across the arch looks amazing and very doable, it's a stunning aspect.

I live in Devon now so no excuses really... 

It wasn't really in my head as a plan for this year but I think that it's now locked in as a target, thanks to the OP. 

ro8x 21 Jan 2021
In reply to SiobhanStraver:

Maybe have a look at Strapiombante @ Froggatt if you're in good sport climbing shape and strong as I found it just a couple of powerful moves. 

Post edited at 12:18
 Mark Bannan 21 Jan 2021

I guess it's partly a matter of opinion. I think the climbing suited me better on Centurion - a lot more jamming! It helped that Ewan got his favourite pitch - the 5a slab with overhangs and I was happy as a hog in shit on the great corner crack 2nd pitch!

Post edited at 13:31
 Mark Bannan 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Gawyllie:

> ..."Angel Face"...

That looks phenomenal!

martynlj 21 Jan 2021

only one route- how harsh. As I live in Melbourne and climbing anything is difficult at the best of times I am going to cheat.

1) Cenotaph corner

2) Point Five Gully

Not sure I will ever climb either and certainly not for at least 12 months....

Thanks for the fantasy though

In reply to martynlj: The ultimate classics at their grade, must be the most famous mid grade climbs in the world. In my early climbing years they were the routes I aspired to (along with DoWH), managed to do them both in the 1980’s. I must go back and do Cenotaph Corner (E1 5c) again soon.

martynlj 21 Jan 2021

Exactly. Shows my age. I  should have done them then too. Now at the other end of the earth not sure whether I ever will, or whether I will be capable!

toooldgoat 21 Jan 2021

Good call Martin, I'll check it out.

> It’s s too cold in the garage to get on the wall.

> Gogarth (E1 5b) is a good route and one that many climbers target, but its actually not that great and has one pitch that is much harder than the rest. Three VS pitches with a tough E1 pitch. You and Billy would be better off aiming for Resolution Direct (E2 5b) which is absolutely brilliant, the hard bits are well protected.

Michael Hood 21 Jan 2021
In reply to ro8x:

> Maybe have a look at Strapiombante @ Froggatt if you're in good sport climbing shape and strong as I found it just a couple of powerful moves. 

HVS 😁 - well it was when I did it.

But seriously, if sending a 7b+ is a possibility, then any E1 in the land should be within her technical capabilities so it shouldn't be too hard to find some that are well protected. Bit of easier climbing to get used to the grit, then there are just loads of possibilities.

ro8x 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

It's definitely HVS until the last move...then it's 100% E1  

I agree 7b+ is happening on bolts then hell yeah, E1 is should be easily achievable once you're happy with gear and the belay systems. 

Torro (E2 5c) is possibly the best E1 i have done and felt adventurous enough.

Fixed that for you

Ray Sharples 21 Jan 2021

Would have to be on Cloggy (weather gods permitting). I will go for The Troach (E2 5b). Been on the tick list since I first looked across from Curving Crack (VS 4c) in 1971. About time it was done!

LJH 21 Jan 2021
In reply to George_Surf:

Worth doing Demon Rib (E3 5c) before deciding if e4 5c is a good plan.

Would be very suspicious of anything that gets e4 5c... Maybe no gear and you hit the deck and then fall down a cave when it goes wrong?? 🤔.

In reply to Michael Gordon: Took me a while to get your post, very good. Felt hard enough to me when I did it, crux overlap was wet, but the hardest bit was the the last 15 ft.

Michael Hood 21 Jan 2021
In reply to LJH:

> Worth doing Demon Rib (E3 5c).

Yet another trick way to avoid the crux of Lone Tree Groove (VS 5a) 😁 as per https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rocktalk/least_enticing_guidebook_descrip...

Post edited at 19:06
In reply to LJH:

> Would be very suspicious of anything that gets e4 5c... Maybe no gear and you hit the deck and then fall down a cave when it goes wrong?? 🤔.

I would be suspicious of one which looked poorly protected or that wasn't clearly a crack or stamina route. But there are a good number which are fine gear-wise.

Would Love to climb the South Ridge (D), Salbitschijen. It looks an incredible journey. 

Post edited at 19:34
 LJH 21 Jan 2021

Can't think of a contender on peak grit or lime that fits your description very well?

Wee Doris (E4 5c)  ..bold..?

Bitterfingers (E4 6a) ... Safe but one notch up on tech.

E4/5c is bold by the very nature of the grading system.. so if you're doing safe moves at 5c it's probably E3 really? No matter how pumpy?

In reply to LJH:

OK it's not in the Peak but for grit there's Wellington Crack (E4 5c)

As for no matter how strenuous something is, surely if a route feels E4 then that's the grade irrespective of tech grade.

Robert Durran 21 Jan 2021

> OK it's not in the Peak but for grit there's Wellington Crack (E4 5c)

> As for no matter how strenuous something is, surely if a route feels E4 then that's the grade irrespective of tech grade.

Of course.

Another: Lime Street (E4 5c)

LJH 21 Jan 2021

Its all subjective I suppose.

Honestly not trying to be awkward.. I can't think of an e4/5c in the peak you could realistically plan on falling off the 5c moves. There maybe one, I just maybe missed it?

To be honest the peak can be a nightmare at E3, maybe some should be E4! Queer Street (E3 6a)  spring to mind.. a tech notch up 6a and still only E3.

Post edited at 20:52
In reply to LJH:

I do agree with you about the Peak. Not an easy place to push the grade - either bold or brutal!

Skyfall 21 Jan 2021

> Motorhead (6a+) Rumour is its around E2.

easily ! 

In reply to LJH: Wee Doris (E4 5c) is probably a reasonable example. It is a bit bold to start with but can be protected by micro wires , the top half is just really pumpy. I’ve only seconded it so feel free to correct me.

Guy Maccdox 21 Jan 2021
In reply to dominic o:

> Great thread! Reminds me of a tactic I once adopted of setting my password to be the name of a route I really wanted to do.

When the UKC database was compromised, if the encrypted passwords had been obtained, there would have been so many that could have been easily hacked by cross-referencing logbooks and wishlists.

kingholmesy 21 Jan 2021
In reply to Tom Last:

Let’s make this happen this year Tom!

Guy Maccdox 21 Jan 2021

Mine would be Sitting Bull (7a)  but realistically I doubt I'll get there this year because of COVID.

I'll have a think and may commit a 2021 ambition tomorrow.

kingholmesy 21 Jan 2021

Il Duce (https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/tintagel_head-689/il_duce-8371) for me. Whether I’ll pluck up the courage to attempt it (again!) is another matter.

ps - how do I edit the hyperlink so it just says the route name like everyone else up thread?

Post edited at 23:32
 Wicamoi 21 Jan 2021

I'm another one for The Prozac Link (E4 5c).

Or maybe a return to Mingulay and Voyage of Faith (E3 5c).

But if neither of these come to be I would probably settle for finally working out this boulder conundrum: Tia Maria (f7A)

Michael Gordon 22 Jan 2021
In reply to kingholmesy:

Above the "quote original in reply" box is "insert climb link". Type in the name of the route and as long as it's in the logbooks it should come up. Click on it! 

Andy Moles 22 Jan 2021
In reply to LJH:

I can think of quite a few routes I've done at E4 5c that aren't bold.

Call to Arms (E4 5c)

Spaced Out Rockers On The Road To Oblivion (E4 5c)

Sonique (E4 5c)

Fay (E4 5c)

Mother's Pride (E4 5c)

The Peak isn't the sort of place you'll get such routes, because it's usually not very steep for very long. 

Robert Durran 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Moles:

> I can think of quite a few routes I've done at E4 5c that aren't bold.

I backed off that because of the boldness going up between the breaks on the first pitch....... Maybe I'm just a wimp  It was a bit greasy though.

Edit: Agree about Sonique and Mother's Pride though.

Post edited at 09:34
 George Ormerod 22 Jan 2021

I think mine would have to be Polar Circus (WI-5) as I doubt I’ll be back in the UK with time and at the right time to do Point Five. Slipstream also looks amazing, but has a scary reputation. 

Carless 22 Jan 2021
In reply to kingholmesy:

I'd love to get back on Il Duce

Tried it 30 odd years ago: did the first pitch and couldn't do the 2nd as too damp & greasy. In fact could barely even stand up on the belay ledge.

Retreat was entertaining

newtonmore 22 Jan 2021

Genesis (VII 7)Snoopy (Winter) (VII 7) both winter routes but would love to climb either of these this year 

for summer probsLing Dynasty (E5) and anything on the dubh loch 

Andy Moles 22 Jan 2021

Ah no you're right actually, that bit was a bit pokey. I seconded that pitch so I'd sort of forgotten, the big pitch after it being the more memorable one.

Andy Moles 22 Jan 2021
In reply to newtonmore:

> for summer probsLing Dynasty (E5) 

Gone are the days of "I'm not really an E2 climber..."

Excellent.

Tom Last 22 Jan 2021
In reply to kingholmesy:

Yeah you're on mate. 

newtonmore 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Moles:

Let’s say I like to take my Time. Cheers 

kingholmesy 22 Jan 2021

Thanks!

mike lawrence? 22 Jan 2021

Well i guess Great Wall (E4 6a) though i only have a good chance of  only getting part of the way up. The other equal contender would be Shibboleth (E2 5c) but less likely to make it to Scotland. Other top routes would be The Pinnacle Girdle (E3 5c)Taurus (E4 5c)Hazy Days (E4 6a) and Memory Lane (E3 5c). So many great routes out there.

The all-time dream route for me is the Denali Diamond on the south face of Denali- 3000m of alpine terrain between the schrund and the summit. Ian Parnell's write up about the second ascent totally inspired me when I was a kid. Fingers crossed we can get over there in the next few years.

Wft 23 Jan 2021

Deep Blue Sea, The Eiger NF

Andy Moles 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Wft:

Now you're talkin'.

LJKing 23 Jan 2021

Swiss Route, Les Courtes N face. I would settle for the Couturier Colouir on the Verte as a back up!

Marcus Tierney 23 Jan 2021

Absolutely any route I can as I haven’t climbed since I ripped two tendons clean off my shoulder on Stanage last August !

tehmarks 24 Jan 2021

Sphinx Nose Traverse (S 4a)

It's been on my wishlist, entry #1, since October 2009. It's getting a bit ridiculous now.

timjones 26 Jan 2021

The route that is keeping me dreaming and looking hopefully towards a brighter future is an aid solo of the Pre-Muir into the Triple Direct on El Cap.

I haven't got a clue whether I will be able to find enough time and money to attempt it when we are able to travel again but life would be grim without the dreaming, planning and poring over topos.

Ratfeeder 02 Feb 2021

[Left Wall]

> The moves up right to the rest before the "crux" actually is the crux! I belayed one partner who wasn't expecting that bit to be hard and fluffed it. And another who did that bit, and assuming the top bit would be harder, got psyched out and hung on the rope when it was really in the bag.

That's good to know! I got as far as that bit when I attempted the climb back in the '90's. Wasn't sure whether to stretch out right for some big pockets (which seemed too far away) or teeter directly up in the hope of finding hidden holds above. Couldn't see where the next gear placement was either. While in this state of uncertainty it started spitting with rain, which added to the anxiety. I was glad when my belayer called up to tell me it was raining (as if I didn't know) as that gave me the perfect excuse for backing off! So I downclimbed to the spike and was lowered off. Of course I pretended that the rain was my reason for abandoning the climb, but I would almost certainly have backed off anyway as the difficulty of that bit had taken me by surprise and I "knew" the crux was still to come. I certainly won't be up to trying it again this year, and realistically I think I'm probably past it now anyway.

Sean Kelly 02 Feb 2021

Looks like there is gunna be one hell of a queue for Left Wall when Lockdown ends! And I can't believe that nobody has Cemetery Gates on their wishlist for such an amazing climb.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/dinas_cromlech-4/cemetery_gates-32...

Check out the wishlist at the bottom of the post.

Post edited at 20:42
In reply to Sean Kelly: 

> Looks like there is gunna be one hell of a queue for Left Wall when Lockdown ends! And I can't believe that nobody has Cemetery Gates on their wishlist for such an amazing climb.

> Check out the wishlist at the bottom of the post.

Well Left Wall (E2 5c) deserves to have people queueing up to climb it, Cemetery Gates (E1 5b) is also a great route but not quite up there with Left Wall in my opinion.

Mark Kemball 02 Feb 2021

I’d rate the Gates as better than Left Wall.

In reply to Mark Kemball: Well they are both great routes, just different tastes I guess.

Rob Exile Ward 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Ratfeeder:

The weekend before my wedding I worked my way up the grades starting at Diff (Lockwoods Chimney) and ending up soloing some soft touch E1 on slate. Time for Left Wall! After waiting at the bottom behind other parties, I completely went off the boil and my 'effort' foundered about 10 feet up.

Sadly I shan't be going back.

65 03 Feb 2021

Orion Direct.

Carless 03 Feb 2021

Many years ago I was up at the Cromlech midweek, perfect weather, deserted

Thought I'll finally get around to doing Cenotaph, Left Wall and maybe Memory Lane or Resurrection

Fell over putting my harness on, badly twisted ankle, an hour to crawl to the road, lift to Bangor casualty...

Must get fitter and go back

In reply to 65:

Excellent choice,

In reply to 65:

> Orion Direct.

I haven't winter climbed for years, but if there's one route I'd like to come back for then this is it. It's just the ultimate, isn't it?!

Point Five Gully (V 5) and Orion Face Direct (V 5) were always the dream routes when I started winter climbing. Happy to have done both and neither route disappointed.

65 03 Feb 2021

> It's just the ultimate, isn't it?!

I don't know, I haven't done it!

Yes, an absolute classic in line, setting, reputation and history. 

neuromancer 04 Feb 2021

Wellington Crack (E4 5c)

Dirty, in an ugly quarry teeming with doped up teenagers chucking broken bottles and fat bald blokes flying drones. 

I've just looked up at it too many times. 

But if we're going all out I'll take dibs on Métanoïa (ED4).

Michael Gordon 04 Feb 2021

> Point Five Gully (V 5) and Orion Face Direct (V 5) were always the dream routes when I started winter climbing. Happy to have done both and neither route disappointed.

The Point is class. Orion I found a bit easy and the "all the atmosphere of a major Alpine face" guidebook comment definitely overstates it!

redjerry 04 Feb 2021
In reply to redjerry: That looks really good, in fact the whole area looks like a must visit place to add to the list.

Have to agree the only pitch of note is the second slab rib, although it does depend on conditions. Steady grade IV is the norm.

Gambit 04 Feb 2021

Electric Blue (E4 5c) 2021 or any year, the route I would most like to do is Electric Blue, often looked at it, sometimes for real, sometimes via the pictures on UKC or Keith Sharples calender, but mostly just in my mind. One day...

RBK 05 Feb 2021

In reply 

> Haven't done that but I remember Spring Bank right next to it being superb. Was E1 5c in the guide when I did it, which I thought was reasonable; definitely user friendly at E2 by Lakes standards.

I've always thought Whit's End Direct is harder than Spring Bank, the latter being pretty soft by Lakes standards!

ATL 06 Feb 2021
In reply to redjerry:

In my top 5 to do list. Great place to visit.... but when will I be able to travel there again...?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...