The Night Watch. Whitestone Cliffe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NIGBEE 04 Jul 2020

I have just driven past what I have found out is Whitestone cliffe and have had a look in the logbooks and seen the route 'The Night Watch' and as I am staying about five miles away from it it would be a shame not to climb it, I have no guide book for it but dont think finding it will be a problem but I just want to make sure of the route description, looking at the pictures do you just follow the corner all the way up?

petegunn 04 Jul 2020
In reply to NIGBEE:

Yep just follow the corner, take quite a few thin slings. The descent down to the crag can be awkward when wet/damp

Ally Smith 05 Jul 2020
In reply to petegunn:

> Yep just follow the corner, take quite a few thin slings. The descent down to the crag can be awkward when wet/damp

Alternatively, to avoid the head height nettles; ab in to the base of the route and climb out again

TobyA 05 Jul 2020
In reply to NIGBEE:

It's quite a route - but not as hard as you think it is going to be, a relief because it looks bloody desperate!

We actually abbed the start of the descent, I think there's a handy tree or something. It just seemed easier than slithering down in our rockshoes. I think we gear up and stashed our bags and trainers at the top.

I can see why it is seen as something of a classic.

lithos 05 Jul 2020

i've done it loads as it's a local climb, i always take a 40m static and ab the descent gully, easy and safer, there is a perfect obvious tree for this. Stash bags at top, as tobya suggests

all the above advice is sound.  maybe some nesting birds around or on adjacent routes. Enjoy it

Matt Podd 05 Jul 2020
In reply to NIGBEE:

Some say the finest trad VS in Yorkshire. Scared me when I tried to solo it.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Jul 2020
In reply to Matt Podd:

> Some say the finest trad VS in Yorkshire. Scared me when I tried to solo it.

Soloing on Whitestone - WOW!

Chris

Rog Wilko 07 Jul 2020
In reply to lithos:

Yep, what Lithos says. Treat it as sea cliff - gear up at the top, ab the descent gully (it's quite nasty IIRC). 

And it is an excellent and very memorable route.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...