Taking a Group to France for BoulderĀ 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EllaMain 25 Jul 2022

Hi Guys,

I know that the French are really hot on British taking groups to mountains but does anyone know if you can still take groups bouldering in Font without IML.

THANKS

In reply to EllaMain:

Hi,

The IML is a walking qualification and has no climbing in the remit. 

In all honesty Font is a tricky one and I shall try and explain with the best info I have based on getting all my uk tickets recognised in France and helping others to do the same.

To teach any outdoor sports in France for reward, including rock climbing and bouldering, you need to hold a Carte Professional this is by law and it is enforced (that's way you often read about ski instructors getting arrested for teaching with out it). To get a carte pro you have to do a French qualification or get your UK qualification recognised. You could also get a temporary carte pro to work here if it's a one off or you don't live and pay taxes in France. This was all done under a EU directive which now doesn't work for UK passport holders. 

Now here is the grey area, the French used to be quite selective as to how they applied this law, for example do anything in the mountains and there was a good chance you would get pulled up, but for some parts of France, for example where there are large activity centres working with kids that used UK staff with out a cart pro, the local authorities used to turn a blind eye. This in the words of the local sports office was because they bring in good money and the local instructors/guides don't mind.

Font used to be a bit like that, no one minded. Please note that I am not saying it was legal it wasn't any any one who used to take groups there for reward with out a carte pro was breaking the law, its just that many got away with it so it became the norm. But it was always a risk.

Now after Brexit you still have the issues of a carte pro, that laws hasn't changed. But on top of that if you don't hold a EU passport you have no right to work here, and to the best of my knowledge, there is not yet a system for getting a visa for self employed or freelance staff. Now this may come but then it will be chicken or egg, you will probably need a carte pro too get a visa and then you can't get a carte pro with out a visa?

As of yet no one really know how much they are enforcing this but again you would need to be aware if you took a group for reward (that is more than just pay) then you could be breaking a few laws and find your self in quite a lot of trouble and a good bet any insurance you have may be classed as invalid.

Sorry that isn't the best news.

Cheers Rob

Paul at work 25 Jul 2022
In reply to EllaMain

Are you taking them as a group of friends? Or are you working/being paid?

Technically we have no right to work over in Europe anymore, so you would need to jump through whatever hoops that the French require of third party nationals to instruct/coach/lead in their country. Have a look at the information in the Adventure Groups in Europe FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/822363844998561/ or the 'Track and flow' video blogs. 

It's a complete minefield currently and no one wants to be a test case for working 'illegally'. 

On the other hand, the Swiss seem slightly easier to deal with with regards to climbing work, so perhaps a trip to Magic Woods.

ChrisBrooke 25 Jul 2022
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Yay Brexit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...