Sutty RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nevis-the-cat 06 Jun 2020

Those who've been on UKC for more years than they care to admit, or are aficionados of the 60's climbing scene will recognise Rocktalk's official curmudgeonly old git. 

Sadly, Keith Sutcliffe aka Sutty passed away in the early hours of this morning. 

Keith was a mainstay in the early years of RT, always up for a Rocktalk picnic, first arrive, last bed and plenty to say - often unfiltered but that was part of his charm. 

He was an accomplished climber in the 509's and 60's and was responsible for numerous new routes, often with some of the greats of the British rock climbing scene. 

His hobbies included rally driving, spilling egg and kethcup on his jumper, heckling me on Great Western / Long John Slab / bar at the Vaynol and generally holding court, with a mischievous grin. 

I am sure plenty will have stories to tell, but the crumbly old bastard will be greatly missed - cheers Sutty. 

marsbar 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

I will miss him.  

Tony the Blade 06 Jun 2020

Very sad news, thinking of his family and friends, of which he had many.

RIP Sutty

Sealwife 06 Jun 2020

Awww that’s sad news.  Have never met Sutty but remember him well on here from way back.

TobyA 06 Jun 2020

Just seen it on Facebook - really sad. He was posting away his normal stuff until really recently. I know he has had lots of health issues in recent years, but mentally Sutty was the Sutty we had known for a couple of decades right up to the end. If you have to go, it being quick like that is small mercy I suppose. Funny to think those first picnics at the Clachaig and such are almost 20 years ago now!

JLS 06 Jun 2020

Great shame, he's remembered with affection and the place was poorer for his absence.

T.

birdie num num 06 Jun 2020

Poor old Sutty. We met at David Hooper’s funeral and have been mates on fb ever since.

Sad news

David Riley 06 Jun 2020

Very sorry to hear that.  Many happy memories.  It was always good to see Sutty.  He added to any occasion.  RIP Keith.

Trangia 06 Jun 2020

That's very sad news. I used to enjoy his posts, and missed him when he decided to stop posting on here.

RIP Sutty

off-duty 06 Jun 2020

Sad to hear it

Postmanpat 06 Jun 2020

Very sad to hear that. A fine sparring partner and full of good tales. I always wanted to bump into him in a bar and buy him a whisky. RIP.

dread-i 06 Jun 2020

I missed his posts on here. I never met him, but he came across as worldly wise and a genuinely nice bloke. RIP

tehmarks 06 Jun 2020

I didn't know Keith personally, but he was clearly held in high regard by a great number of people here. Rest in peace.

the sheep 06 Jun 2020

RIP Sutty, very sad news 

Yanis Nayu 06 Jun 2020

Ah, what sad news. He was a stalwart on here when I started using the forum in 2008. Condolences to family and friends. 

The Lemming 06 Jun 2020

I am sorry to hear of the passing of Sutty.

If possible could you please pass on my condolences to his family.

This site was never quite the same when he left it.

Siward 06 Jun 2020

Ah sad news. I remember him as a fixture on here and the place was all the better for it. I like to think I met him once atop a munro- everything fitted- but I'll never know for sure I guess. 

Offwidth 06 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming: 

Terrible news.

Did he leave the site? I was sure he was banned (several times). I met him through early Rocktalk meets and as abrasive as he could occasionally be I always had a massive soft spot for him. He was funny, kind and his climbing pedigree was amazing.... no-one else I knew was putting the rock and ice achievements in a fully honest context.

Lynn and I kept in touch through Facebook and were concerned with his decline in health. If there is a celebration of his life, after this horrible period ends, I'm sure we are part of a large number of people who would want to be there.

pebbles 06 Jun 2020

A great character gone. RIP.

Anni 06 Jun 2020

Definitely the end of an Era, he was here with us at the beginning when this site was just getting going. He really did love the picnics, even though he couldn’t climb anymore he still loved the craik of an evening, and could eat his own body weight in cooked breakfast goods. He was always as sharp as you like, had a way of being able to see people for what they really are, he once very accurately summed me up in one sentence - ‘strongest most fragile person I know’. Git. Will miss his random ranting, it felt like he would always just be here, immortal, crumbling away in the background but never letting mortality get the better of him. Sad day, RIP Sutty. X

Footloose 06 Jun 2020

RIP Sutty. I never met him, but many years ago he followed my blog and took it upon himself to contact me from time to time with advice and suggestions. All our exchanges were by email or text; but one day, out of the blue, he rang me: Sutty the comforter was in need of comfort himself. A fount of all knowledge and never one to shirk what he considered to be his social responsibilities, his twitter feed became one of those pivotal pages that connected all kinds of people and causes. 

Clauso 06 Jun 2020

Sorry to hear this news. I first met the ould codger at the Almscliff picnic, many years ago, and bumped into him on various occasions thereafter.

The photo below is one of him showing off his latest climbing kit at The Owl and the Cragrat launch party. 

We kept in touch on social media, and were chatting only recently. He could be abrasive at times, but also had kind words to say when I was having stress with work stuff, a few years ago, which was appreciated.

RIP Sutty. You'll be missed mate.

Greenbanks 06 Jun 2020

I recall him as one of major UKC figures back when I first joined. Always good value as a poster, even if I sometimes disagreed with his position. Sad for his family & close friends. RIP

bouldery bits 06 Jun 2020

Sad news indeed.

The Lemming 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

> Terrible news.

> Did he leave the site? I was sure he was banned (several times).

I was being diplomatic

Most of us have been banned from this site at least once over the years.

I miss those Wild West days where the gloves were off and you had to stand your corner. And Sutty sure did not hold back with praise or retort.

Skyfall 06 Jun 2020

Ah, sorry to hear that, we had our run ins but he was a great character, a connection with climbers from a more dangerous and explorative era, and UKC was poorer without him.  

Nice to see so many names from earlier years popping up to pay their respects.  

Oh, that's terrible news. Never met him but such a genuine character and left the forum much poorer when he left it.

RIP Sutty

jcm

Toby S 06 Jun 2020

I first 'met' Sutty on Rocktalk when he was castigating me for something or other way back in the very early 2000s! I then properly met him in person at The Clachaig in the depths of winter for one of the UKC picnics. I blame him for my hangover the next day that got me no further than Glen Coe village for breakfast rather than tackling something wintry up on Bidean. I'd only seen him a few times in person since then, but he was ever present in my social media feeds offering advice - whether I wanted it or not- or the odd bit of abuse - whether I wanted it or not He's also been hugely supportive of my walking tours and would often be the first to share any new info I'd put out on Twitter. I'll miss him an awful lot. 

Alan Taylor 06 Jun 2020

Had a beer and a dram a couple of times, a great guy to blether with and he'll be missed

Rob Naylor 06 Jun 2020

Really sad to hear this earlier today. Having chatted on FB with his brother Colin last night, I was hoping he'd pull through, but wasn't that optimistic that he would.

So many meets, so much booze, so many "discussions" (AKA arguments). He was a curmudgeonly cantankerous old bastard, but with a heart of gold. He helped so many people in so many ways. 

This isn't the first obit for him on UKC, BTW....about 15 years ago some nasty bastard conned me into believing that he'd died back then, and I posted an Obit that I later had to retract.

Sadly, this time it's the real thing

RIP Sutty.

waterbaby 06 Jun 2020

Even though I could see from his facebook posts that his health was deteriorating, it was still a massive shock this morning.

Sutty was friendly and supportive when I first started climbing and joined UKC. He encouraged me to come to my first climbing meet and we met again on subsequent meets. We stayed in touch on fb and in recent years I kept thinking I should try and catch up with him in person. He was so devoted to his wife Doreen and had a lot of good and bad things to say about her care in the NHS. I was glad to hear that he was looked after well by the NHS team in his last few days.

It's a very sad day. RIP Sutty.

Offwidth 06 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Speak for yourself (for the moment at least .

I genuinely felt the place was more friendly back then, people could engage in over excited banter here and still meet up and become good friends. These was certainly no substitute for meeting the likes of Sutty in the flesh.

Roadrunner6 06 Jun 2020

I just saw that. It didn’t look good but thought he’d pull through.

RIP Sutty.

Doug 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Rob Naylor:

"He was a curmudgeonly cantankerous old bastard, but with a heart of gold."

Seems an apt description, at least of his on line personna - unfortunately I never met him 'in person'. One less link with a bygone era.

Blue Roses 06 Jun 2020
In reply to TobyA:

I was thinking that, that he was Sutty and posting, liking posts just last week etc  😥 

Gutted.  Rest in peace Sutty 

wilkie14c 06 Jun 2020

awww no

truly nice bloke, interacted with him for years on here and after on FB, always made me smile when he called me a stupid boy (i’m in my 50’s) 

RIP big guy

Paul at work 06 Jun 2020

Sad news indeed. RIP Sutty.

climbingpixie 06 Jun 2020

It's such sad news. I met Sutty on my first UKC bunkhouse meet and I remember him heckling my inability to jam at Stanage. When I was a skint newbie climber he was really helpful and always forthcoming with advice, lifts, baccy and even gear - I've probably still got a couple of the slings and draws he passed on to me. He was generous with his time and advice, even if it wasn't always delivered in the most polite fashion! I've not seen him in a while but had kept up with him on FB and was gutted to see the news this morning. RIP big man xx

omerta 06 Jun 2020
In reply to birdie num num:

I attended David's funeral, too, a week after my own father's, and met Sutty there for the first time, too. Plenty of 'chin ups,' from him, I remember. A real straight-talker, warm-hearted and blessed with many, justifiably devoted, friends. 

Removed User 06 Jun 2020

He was part of the furniture during my high use UKC days. RIP and rest easy.

denis b 06 Jun 2020

I have to say that my heart dipped on hearing news of Sutty's passing from us. But, he made an impression on this world and I certainly miss his take on life, including climbing. 

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

In reply to Doug:

> Seems an apt description, at least of his on line personna 

He was like that in the flesh, too. Didn't take fools gladly, but ever willing to offer help, support and advice, from his vast experience.

Sad to see him go, but also relieved that he remained Sutty to the end.

AlisonS 06 Jun 2020

I'm very saddened by this. I met him in the Clachaig on one of the meets long ago and I thought he was lovely. I've stayed in touch via Facebook since then and always found him wise and kind. 

Ridge 06 Jun 2020

Sorry to hear that John. Never got to meet him, but he was a big part of the old UKC. RIP Sutty.

Wft 06 Jun 2020

Rest in Peace 

toad 06 Jun 2020

I never met him, but at one point it seemed inconceivable that a UKC thread was complete without his input. I never quite worked out what happened to make him leave / get banned, but the place seemed lessened without him

Sean Kelly 06 Jun 2020

RIP Sutty.

We climbed quite a bit on the early 70's including rescuing a climber who fell on Shepherds Chimney  me lowering Sutty with the casualty strapped to his back. A great character who will be sadly missed. We met up again on the forum and often exchanged mail. 

pog100 06 Jun 2020

Met him on a few meets and interacted online. A strong and well-meaning character who will truly be missed by an awful lot of people. 

Bob Kemp 06 Jun 2020

That's a damn shame. I missed him when he disappeared from UKC. 

Oh what sad news. Such a nice guy, such a good guy. I only met him a few times, around the time Marc C and myself had a crazy 'Owl and the Cragrat' party, and I had him coming up through a hatchway in the floor as the 'ghost of Puttrell'. Good, amusing memories. I remember him also as a regular attender of BMC Peak District meetings.

Removed User 06 Jun 2020

Another one of life's landmarks fades away, how sad.

Might be nice to have a memorial picnic when all this is over.

jkarran 06 Jun 2020

Sorry to hear that. RIP Sutty, we haven't talked in years but he was one of the good ones.

Jk

Marc C 06 Jun 2020

Sad news, though I've half-feared hearing it for a while - even though he seemed to be everlasting like a  creaky gate or loose flake. Tremendous character and always helpful...heart in right place, which is best memorial tribute any of  us could hope for. RIP Sutty.

Grumpybearpantsgoat 06 Jun 2020

Sad, sad news. Like many I got to know him on UKC and met at a winter meet where we chewed the fat (ie he told me off for the crap I posted). Kept in touch on fb when we both left then on twitter and the occasional chat on the phone. He made a big effort to come to my birthday meet in the Peak and even though his legs gave him jip we both walked up to the Roaches having a great chat. He was one of the first to find out we were having a baby. He got to meet the baby when he came down to a do with his family. Baby and him chewed the fat and they looked lovely together. Caught up again another time when his family had a marriage local to us. He needed to catch a train so it was great to help him on the way home and catch up. There is now a hole in our life where he should be but hopefully him and Doreen are looking down and tutting that I am being a soppy sod. RIP Keith, we all miss you.

JimR 06 Jun 2020
In reply to Marc C:

So sad to hear this, RIP Sutty

Doghouse 06 Jun 2020

Very sad news, a real stalwart on here in the early days. RIP Sutty.

Mick Ward 06 Jun 2020

Such a sad year: within a short space of time, the passing of Joe Brown, John Allen, Ivan Bicknell and now Keith. And Gary Gibson's stroke. Mita said on Facebook that she felt numb; that's exactly how I feel.

Keith was at one end of the country and I was at the other. We never met. Now I bitterly regret this. But what use is regret? Better to learn the lesson and do better next time.

As with many others, I exchanged banter with Keith on Facebook most days for years. Can never remember a disagreement about anything. He was wise, witty, kind. If need be, he could be acerbic. When some politician made an idiot announcement about something that just couldn't be implemented without grave problems, Keith would quickly puncture the bombast. He'd been around in industry long enough to know full well that rhetoric is one thing and practicality quite another.

In climbing terms, he hearkened back to a time long gone. A drinking partner of Whillans, he was there when Whillans pretty much soloed the first ascent of Sentinel Crack in, what was it, 1959? He had a dream few days on the Ben in winter, with Ian Clough in 1960. He'd climbed with my childhood hero, Emmet Goulding in the 1960s.

Of course there was far more to his life than climbing. It seems to have been a life remarkably well lived. Looking after his beloved wife Doreen must have been very hard but he took the strength from all those scary trad leads and gave her everything he could.

He once regretted not having done Troach and I suggested us doing it together. But he reckoned that by then his health was too far gone to get up to the crag. A pity.

I'd like to go back and do Troach again, give thanks for my experience of Keith, however tangential. He touched so many people's lives. He was such a good man.

Mick

Mooncat 06 Jun 2020

Only met Sutty a few times, we were very different personalities but I got on really well with him. I'll always remember our conversations with him when I was thinking about buying a lancia stratos. Thanks for talking me out of it Keith, RIP mate. 

Helen R 07 Jun 2020

I didn't know Sutty well, I went off to the other side of the world before I got to hear too much of his wisdom in person, but I certainly read a lot of it here. I want to add my condolences, especially to his friends on here who knew him well. Like you, I thought he'd go on for ever. RIP Keith.

Post edited at 00:31
 The Pylon King 07 Jun 2020

R.I P. Sutty. Much respect.

FactorXXX 07 Jun 2020

Never met him and since he 'left' UKC have had no contact with him as I don't do Facebook.
However, I do remember a bloke that had old school experience/values which seemed to be received by the recipients of his wisdom with respect and horror in equal measure...
RIP Sutty and condolences to family and all who knew him.

MJ 

Post edited at 01:56
 Duncan Bourne 07 Jun 2020

Heard about it yesterday. He had gone into hospital a few days earlier and seemed to be making progress. He will be missed

Adam Lincoln 07 Jun 2020

RIP Sutty. Remember him from the early days when i posted more. 

martinhutch 07 Jun 2020

RIP Sutty. One of the good ones.

Tom Last 07 Jun 2020

Ah, dammit. He was a character and missed on here since he departed UKC.

Rest in peace, Sutty. 

Michael Hood 07 Jun 2020

Never knew him except from his posts on UKC. Condolences to family & friends.

One thing you could definitely say about his posts - you knew they'd be worth reading and they were never boring 😁

(damn, that's two things - MP Spanish Inquisition sketch etc.)

Jock 07 Jun 2020

Sad news. What a character. I hadn't seen him in years but remember him well from some of the early picnics. Vivid memory of a Cornwall meet where he insisted he'd be fine to second Diocese with a bowline round his waist as he was too big for a harness. 

RIP Keith 

Wingnut 07 Jun 2020

RIP Sutty.

As with others on here, I was on the receiving end of some of his motivational heckling (there's one time at Brimham that still sticks in the memory), but there were also occasions when I really needed someone to talk to, and Keith was that person. Yes, he could be thoroughly cantankerous, but he was also very kind. I'll be raising a glass tonight in his honour.

london_huddy 07 Jun 2020

Very sad news, lots of history goes with him. Like many, I met him through RockTalk in 2001ish and then at various meets and picnics in the Peak and Glencoe. I always loved the stories of routes, first ascents, characters and places which never dried up.

Haven't seen him for years other than on Facebook. As someone else has said, nice to see so many faces from the early days of UKC popping up here.

I remember very clearly being provided with robust encouragement up one of my first HVSs, Goliath's Groove, where strong words of advice were given and then him saying after a couple of pints that evening that he was surprised that I made such a meal of it but that once I stoped faffing around I was fine. Never forgotten that!

marie 07 Jun 2020

Message from Sutty's family:

Hi all

The family of Keith would like to say a massive thank you for all the kind words and thoughts from you all with so many heart warming messages, it certainly puts a different take on how much people cared for Sutty. Take care and thank you. On a lovely and fabulous note Marie is organising a just giving page in aid of the Mountain rescue at https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/sutty Keith would certainly endorse this and I would like to think that we could raise £1,000.

Lots of love, talk soon.
Colin , Nicki and the rest of the family members. Xxxx

TobyA 08 Jun 2020
In reply to marie:

Thanks Marie for sharing that and setting up the justgiving. Have a bump!

kathrync 08 Jun 2020

Sad to read this. I never met Sutty, but he was one of the mainstays of this forum when I first joined in the early 2000s and the forums have been diminshed by his absence. He didn't suffer fools gladly, but freely offered his years of experience and was also good for a bit of banter. It sounds like he was one of the few people who's online persona was close to his real life persona.  My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Wee Davie 08 Jun 2020

RIP- never met him but he came across as a genuine guy on here and other media. From the hardcore generation of climbers.

Sean Kelly 08 Jun 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Such a sad year: within a short space of time, the passing of Joe Brown, John Allen, Ivan Bicknell and now Keith. And Gary Gibson's stroke. Mita said on Facebook that she felt numb; that's exactly how I feel.

> Keith was at one end of the country and I was at the other. We never met. Now I bitterly regret this. But what use is regret? Better to learn the lesson and do better next time.

> As with many others, I exchanged banter with Keith on Facebook most days for years. Can never remember a disagreement about anything. He was wise, witty, kind. If need be, he could be acerbic. When some politician made an idiot announcement about something that just couldn't be implemented without grave problems, Keith would quickly puncture the bombast. He'd been around in industry long enough to know full well that rhetoric is one thing and practicality quite another.

> In climbing terms, he hearkened back to a time long gone. A drinking partner of Whillans, he was there when Whillans pretty much soloed the first ascent of Sentinel Crack in, what was it, 1959? He had a dream few days on the Ben in winter, with Ian Clough in 1960. He'd climbed with my childhood hero, Emmet Goulding in the 1960s.

> Of course there was far more to his life than climbing. It seems to have been a life remarkably well lived. Looking after his beloved wife Doreen must have been very hard but he took the strength from all those scary trad leads and gave her everything he could.

> He once regretted not having done Troach and I suggested us doing it together. But he reckoned that by then his health was too far gone to get up to the crag. A pity.

> I'd like to go back and do Troach again, give thanks for my experience of Keith, however tangential. He touched so many people's lives. He was such a good man.

> Mick

Mick, do you know the story about his and Whillan's epic on some big route in the Dolomites when they were caught out in heavy rain on some chimneys high up on the climb? I last posted to Sutty about this but  although he promised to get back to me about the incident he never did. I perhaps should have badgered him for more details for an item I was writing at the time.

One of my best memories is climbing OB on Castle Rock in about 1974. Now it's gone of course.

Post edited at 16:55
 Mick Ward 08 Jun 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Hi Sean, no, I didn't know anything about that at all. Keith was quite reticent about his climbing; he'd casually mention stuff in passing and seem surprised that anyone would be in the least interested. Often I was fascinated, for instance about his friendship with Emmet Goulding. Now of course I wished I'd asked him more and listened more carefully. He had a great fund of wisdom, about climbing and much else. In a quiet way, he helped an awful lot of people.

I believe that Colin Downer and a mate have cleaned up the debris and re-ascended OB. Obviously not the same as before but better than nothing. Shockingly I've never done either it or North Crag Eliminate, despite having gibbered up most of the other pokey little grooves on the crag. Should go back and do the revamped OB. Can't do NCE any more and definitely won't be repeating aforesaid pokey little grooves. They've had one chance at finishing me off; they won't have a second!

Mick

Sean Kelly 08 Jun 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

Just checked my inbox and found this. Not quite sure how I missed it at the time, but two stories lost to us all. Not sure if you have come across Cockney Pete?

"Hi Sean, Marie just called on messenger with your new email address. Contact me on there as well if you use it.

Will need to get laptop out to send details of routes in Dolomites. On phone ATM, poor eyesight means can't type accurate.

Did two routes with Whillans, Brandler Hasse, and Cassin on Cima Picolissima where got rained on top half.

Epic was with Cockney Pete, worked repairing motorway barriers. Can't trace him now.

Mail me tomorrow to remind me to write article for you.

Hope you're doing ok, speak soon 

Sutty."

marie 08 Jun 2020

Sutty loved to partake in a cheeky whisky and for a long time along with a few friends they would virtually share a dram on what was known as 'Whisky Wednesday'.

You are invited to join us this Wednesday evening via Zoom and raise a toast to Sutty!

Topic: Whisky Wednesday!
Time: Jun 10, 2020 08:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/75741545618?pwd=VGJ2VjE3QVZ2bG85cHMvR2JuSWFFZz09

Meeting ID: 714 6293 0845
Password: 2ijZnK

Swirly 09 Jun 2020

The last time I saw Sutty, which was too long ago, his first words to me were "you've got fat". I think he was just looking out for me, like he did for everyone. The first time I met him was at one of the early picnics where he always kept an eye out for anyone who looked a bit separate and made sure they were integrated into the group. Despite his impressive achievements he was always more interested in your day where you might have struggled up some grotty vdiff than talking about the past even though I (we?) was much more interested than that. Although our recent interactions were confined to Facebook Keith was still supportive when needed yet ready to give you a kick up the arse when required. Sorry for getting so fat Keith, I'll miss you.

Harry J 09 Jun 2020

R.I.P sutty 

Mick Ward 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

No idea who Cockney Pete was, I'm afraid. A pity we never got the article. It sounds as though Keith had fun in the Dolomites!

Mick

wercat 02 Jul 2020

Oh Shite - only just seen this.  Really sorry to hear the news.  This site was the less for Sutty not being here long ago.

The Crow 04 Jul 2020

I also only heard about this late last month as I'm no longer much for social media. I remember Sutty fondly and memories remain when the person is gone. Nevis' description of his presence and character here on what was once Rocktalk some 20 to 14yrs ago is a good one. Fun times and he was a memorable part of them.

I'll raise (another) glass to him tonight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...