Stuck cam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 brianjcooper 08 Sep 2019

I managed to get a Friend 1.5 cam stuck just below the final moves on Ground Glass at Stanage. You will need long thin fingers, or a couple of coat hangers to reach the triggers.

Yours if you can retrieve it.

In reply to brianjcooper:

It's not there any more! It's not in my bag either 

OP brianjcooper 09 Sep 2019
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

> It's not there any more! It's not in my bag either 

Funnily enough, I was more upset about 'littering' the crag. Hope someone else enjoys it now. 

There is of course the old forged friend in Right Hand Trinity. Been there for years.

Phil79 09 Sep 2019

Good trick is sliding a couple of nuts down to the middle of the wire, then hooking the ends over the trigger wires, clip to harness or a quick draw, then pull back on trigger while pushing on stem. Had one or two walked cams out in that way.

PaulJepson 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Phil79:

Yeah, there's a way you can hook a prussik loop around the triggers of single-stem cams using a nut key to manoeuvre as well. 

elsewhere 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Phil79:

A trick somebody showed me...

Nut key flat against the rock with the nut key's tip under the tip of the cam lobe. Twist nut key to push tip of cam lobe away from rock to loosen cam lobes one by one.

Effectively it compresses cam more directly or with more torque than can applied by trigger wires, or something like that. 

OP brianjcooper 09 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

> A trick somebody showed me...

> Nut key flat against the rock with the nut key's tip under the tip of the cam lobe. Twist nut key to push tip of cam lobe away from rock to loosen cam lobes one by one.

> Effectively it compresses cam more directly or with more torque than can applied by trigger wires, or something like that. 

Now you all tell me!   I was using two nut keys but still couldn't move it. Didn't want to damage either the rock or cam so left it for the experts.

Edit:  Sometimes I push a beer towel etc into the crack first before placing a cam to stop it walking in.  On this occasion, a quick placement won the day.   

Post edited at 17:46
 bpmclimb 10 Sep 2019

> Edit:  Sometimes I push a beer towel etc into the crack first before placing a cam to stop it walking in.  On this occasion, a quick placement won the day.   

I must add some beer towels to my rack! How many would you recommend carrying? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...