Statement of Youth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 05 Nov 2019

Appears to have been blocked on YouTube by the BBC on copyright grounds. Is there anywhere else I can view it?

Iamgregp 05 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

That’s weird. Has it ever even gone out on the BBC?

OP tehmarks 05 Nov 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

I assumed they'd made some claim to some obscure bit of footage in it or something. A bit frustrating - I spent ages telling someone how they should watch it, and when we sat down with pizza and beer to watch it, well it wasn't possible!

It'd be a shame if it doesn't resurface - I really enjoyed it the first time round.

olddirtydoggy 05 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

I stopped my TV licence this year and won't be supporting the BBC. Just another reason here to encourage others to do the same.

In reply to tehmarks:

We are looking into this now. We hadn't been informed of anything so it is a bit surprising. We suspect it is the clip of a 35-year-old sitcom. If so then we will do a new cut.

Alan

GDes 06 Nov 2019
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Why?

Iamgregp 06 Nov 2019

It's not really the BBC who will have directly blocked this... YouTube have run many hundreds of thousands of hours old programming through their system which then analyses it and compares it to all the videos hosted on their site.

They then approach the relevant rights holder and ask them if they would like to block, or in some way monetise the content.  I doubt you'd even be able to find somebody at the BBC who is aware that Statement has been blocked.

Frustrating nonetheless.

Doug 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

given the hours of BBC content on Youtube (eg lots of Top of the Pops & Old Grey Whistle Test) it seems odd that a short clip would lead to a film being taken down.

Iamgregp 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Doug:

God knows.  I guess they may have made the decision to allow the programmes you mention to stay up but to monetise the content - this means that the BBC get the share of the ad revenue raised rather than the person who uploaded the content.

ALF_BELF 06 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Ta dah!

vimeo.com/334839810

Post edited at 16:21
In reply to tehmarks:

Hi all, 

Here's a new YouTube link:  youtube.com/watch?v=zeqI9axxrco&

Thanks, 

Nick

J.Corbott 06 Nov 2019

It’s a shame really because that sitcom clip was the best bit in it. Unless you count the Craig smith interview where he describes sport climbing as MacDonalds followed by the rest of the film talking about what a fantastic revolution it was. Bring your pillows.....

cragtyke 07 Nov 2019

>  Just another reason here to encourage others to do the same.

Could you please enlighten us as to what these other reasons are?

olddirtydoggy 07 Nov 2019
In reply to cragtyke:

I don't really want to hijack the thread so quickly here we are.

Pedo's on the payroll and nothing done.

The Cliff Richard scandal.

The statue above the door at broadcasting house by Eric Gill.

Biased news.

I also don't agree with the enforced licence.

That's it and I'm not turning this thread into a BBC debate. Apologies to the OP.

OP tehmarks 07 Nov 2019

> The statue above the door at broadcasting house by Eric Gill.

I've never seen the statue, haven't been to Broadcasting House in yonks, and don't know who Eric Gill is. Can you summarise the problem?

Pedro50 07 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

> I've never seen the statue, haven't been to Broadcasting House in yonks, and don't know who Eric Gill is. Can you summarise the problem?

Do a Google, as Gordon would say.

OP tehmarks 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

I could - but given that I'm sure there are a few people reading this thread and thinking the same thing, it seemed that it might be beneficial to have some sort of synopsis in the thread.

olddirtydoggy 07 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Stone carver and artist Eric Gill was a child abuser and made a statue above the door of BBC Broadcasting House of an adult wrapping their arms around a naked child. When taking this into consideration it caused many people to look at the work with a different perspective and many felt the statue should be removed. The BBC refused.

I have a big issue with this kind of stuff and decided after much thought to stop paying the licence. I just can't fund an organisation like that with a clear conscience.

I appreciate your curiosity but I've no desire to turn this thread into a debate if anyone takes a differing opinion. Thanks.

Donotello 08 Nov 2019

Damn I love a good debate about paying tv licenses. I’ve never bought one in my life since reading when I was a teenager that the cost of a fine was less than the license and you’ve a 1/9,000,000 chance of being caught without one anyway. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...