State of threads on Black Grub, Beeston Tor ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shickading 02 Sep 2020

Does anyone know the state of the threads on Black Grub.

Gary Gibson 02 Sep 2020
In reply to shickading:

They were all completely replaced by myself around two and a half years ago, as aerie those on Majolica and Faience during the crag clean up I did.

OP shickading 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Cheers Gary.

OP shickading 03 Sep 2020
In reply to shickading:

Yo Gary, I might go and do the re thread job. Roughly what diameter selection of threads did you use. 

ian caton 03 Sep 2020
In reply to shickading:

I don't remember any in situ threads. Took a wire hooky thing to put them in. Maybe I remember wrong. 

Adam Long 03 Sep 2020
In reply to shickading:

Lots of recent comments in the logbooks saying there are plenty of threads in situ. If you do, can I request you just replace the key placements and remove the rest?

OP shickading 03 Sep 2020
In reply to Adam Long:

Yep, no probs.

ebdon 03 Sep 2020
In reply to Adam Long:

Noooo if you do that how will punters like me get up it pretending they can climb E3?

On a more serious note does anyone know can you still approach from the bottom, I understand Gary did a great job clearing this approach when he did the threads but I wasn't sure how quickly it gets overgrown.

Gary Gibson 03 Sep 2020
In reply to ian caton:it had at least two or three threads in it when I first did it with Andy Popp in 1982 as well as a ring peg which pulled ou enroute by hand and stuffed back in hope!

Gary Gibson 03 Sep 2020
In reply to Adam Long:

That’s been done

Adam Long 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Nice one Gary, thanks. Last time I did it it was festooned with them.

>On a more serious note does anyone know can you still approach from the bottom,

If the right-hand scramble is overgrown the best option is to do a warm-up pitch into Ivy Gash then abseil down to below the main bit of Black Grub.

Bulls Crack 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Adam Long:

> Nice one Gary, thanks. Last time I did it it was festooned with them.

Those weren't threads; those were the tattered remnants of peoples' E3 hopes and dreams. 

Adam Long 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Yeah, it's amazing how a load of string can turn a brilliant E3 into a 6b+ isn't it?

Simon King 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Adam Long:

Can I just add my support to the comments about ensuring Black Grub remains an E3. I repeated it a couple of years ago and almost didn't have enough QDs to clip all the tat (the worst of which I then removed). As said above most of the threads can be placed on lead and in some places the threads aren't necessary as there's solid gear nearby.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...