Stanage VS challenge.. litter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrphilipoldham 10 Sep 2018

Wall End Slab (VS 5a)

Whilst pottering this afternoon, I found a lollipop stick with ‘VS Challenge’ written on it in black marker, and most disappointingly a wrap of cello tape around one end. The wood, whilst annoying isn’t overly a big concern but to then have for seemingly no reason wrapped plastic around the end of it? What goes through peoples minds? I had no inclination to go and check any other of the routes involved but this one was in the heather just to the left of the bottom of the route. It was duly removed and has been disposed of responsibly. Be ashamed.

Graeme Hammond 12 Sep 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

A piece of litter caught my eye today just as I was leaving the crag as it was getting dark (so i had my head torch on) so went to pick it up, turns out it was another of these lollipop sticks and the reason it stood out and the reason for the cello tape is to hold a  reflective square on the end. Presumably to make finding the routes easier, it also makes spotting the rubbish easier... Anyway I suggest to the person that placed them goes and removes the rest of them then buy a decent guidebook, the BMC sell one here: http://shop.thebmc.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5309 which makes finding the routes really easy and is part of the challenge! If you can't find your way between routes less than 10metres apart without the need for markers you need to reassess your skill level

Post edited at 23:28

3 more removed today 

Graeme Hammond 13 Sep 2018
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Good work, I ended up going for a walk round and removed a bag full of rubbish from the crag + 23 of the markers, the other post was done at the crag only just got home

Post edited at 00:08
 summo 13 Sep 2018

You both missed a trick and should have just moved them? Then collect them in a week or two.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...