Stanage Popular, accident Sun 25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bryan M 29 Aug 2019

There was a climbing accident at Stanage Popular on Sunday 25 August in the Zig Zag Flake Crack area. A climber, who was quite seriously injured, was stretchered off the crag by Mountain Rescue and around 40 climbers and walkers under the direction of Mountain Rescue and Air Ambulance paramedics. The injured climber was taken by helicopter to Northern General Hospital in Sheffield. My partner and I were amongst those assisting and would be grateful to learn how the climber is doing if anyone has any news. Thanks.

Bobling 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Bryan M:

Bump, I was there too.  Great to see the crag empty as everyone pitched in to help Mountain Rescue with the initial stretcher carry.  Also great to see the dedication from the MR folks, running uphill carrying god knows how much equipment on a Bank Holiday Sunday when they could have been at home with their families.  Hope the poor chap is OK and that his partners are doing OK too.  Not the day any of them wanted. 

Bryan I have a feeling you were the guy who told me Stokes and Bairstow were in, if so thanks to you for the part you played rounding up people to help.

Post edited at 22:26
Reece Henderson 10 Sep 2019
In reply to Bobling:

I was the one that fell, doing well thank you. Can't remember the accident till like 3 days later but from what I heard all the climbers out were getting involved and everyone did a cracking job.

Damage:2 vertebrae,6 ribs,collar bone and cuts and bruises on lungs liver and kidney. Only a few actual scratches on me.Up and walking about already just on heavy painkillers 😂🤙🏻

springfall2008 10 Sep 2019
In reply to Reece Henderson:

Wow, glad you are doing okay.

What caused the accident, it would be good to know to help others avoid something similar?

Reece Henderson 10 Sep 2019
In reply to springfall2008:

Untill I go back and try and repeat the circumstance of what happened but safely of course with no chance of falling it's hard to know. Going to simulate it with a heavy bag drop. Or I might see why it failed blantely but as far as I was concerned I trusted it evidently 😂  Was abseiling down from a top rope and had 3 bits of gear in the wall but can't really remember much of course so will have to go back and try and refresh my memory.

OP Bryan M 10 Sep 2019

My partner and I are delighted that you’re OK and hope you continue to make progress to a full recovery. As your two partners might have told you there were three climbers from Northern Ireland (students at uni in Belfast), who came to your immediate assistance. Afraid I don’t know their names.

Can I ask what route you had done, or the line of the abseil? It looked to me like Zig Zag Flake Crack, or proximal.

Is it unreasonable to suggest that cams are not necessarily always the best protection to use in a system that might well be subject to forces of differing direction and intensity, such might be generated during an abseil? I think helmets are a necessary part of climbing equipment.

Good luck and best wishes.

Bobling 10 Sep 2019

> Damage:2 vertebrae,6 ribs,collar bone and cuts and bruises on lungs liver and kidney. Only a few actual scratches on me.Up and walking about already just on heavy painkillers 😂🤙🏻

OUCH!  I did one rib recently and that was enough for me.  Glad to hear you are up and about and hope your recovery continues!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...