St David's Cheap Camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 eb202 18 Jul 2019

Hello

I am organising a club meet to St David's in August, perhaps for around 10 people or so. In the past I've focused on the south coast and stayed at Simon's Field, but don't have much knowledge of the north coast. 

Does anyone know of any similar set-ups in the St David's area well located for the nearby cliffs?

All I've come across so far is Porthclais Farm at £7 per person per night for a tent. Are there any alternatives for those looking for a cheaper stay? Just a basic rock up and pitch kinda thing with basic facilities would be ideal. 

Thanks 

the sheep 18 Jul 2019
In reply to eb202:

Porthclais is a lovely spot and is right by some lovely climbing 

Red wall was a highlight as an easy grade climb

Tom Valentine 18 Jul 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Given you a like just to counter the knob who gave your completely reasonable post a dislike.

mik82 18 Jul 2019
In reply to eb202:

The Porthclais farm campsite is decent and very well situated for walking to the climbs. I don't think £7pp during school holidays is too bad to be honest. 

Anoetic 19 Jul 2019
In reply to mik82:

I stay here a lot....it’s a nice quiet location but the walk to the pub still isn’t too far 👍

IPPurewater 19 Jul 2019
In reply to eb202:

Yes there was a camping field with portaloos, on the left, at the end of the road to the St Justinian lifeboat station. Roughly SM724251. I last visited this area a couple of years ago. I'm guessing it will still be open. I enquired how much it cost. It was similar to the Simon's field price if I remember correctly. It isn't so handy for the Porth Clais crags or the town though.

I haven't stayed there, so can't recommend it, other than for it's view.

Post edited at 08:55
 IPPurewater 19 Jul 2019
In reply to IPPurewater:

I've just had a look at Google Earth. The field I mentioned above seems to be a building site now, for a new lifeboat station.

OP eb202 19 Jul 2019
In reply to eb202:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments. With it being a more touristy area (and school hols), the price of Porthclais isn't excessive, just wanted to explore any other options.

Looks like we'll be going with Porthclais. 

Thanks again

ebdon 19 Jul 2019
In reply to eb202:

I've stayed in a very basic one one on the hill above white sands bay with a honesty box and some loos/sinks, very convenient for st David's head.

Theres also one near the beach here but it's a bit crap and very busy.

Slarti B 19 Jul 2019
In reply to eb202:

Porthclais Farm has great location and very clean facilities.  But,if you turn up late,  make sure you follow the instructions about registering and paying before you pitch.  Owners are sticklers for procedure! 

felt 20 Jul 2019
In reply to eb202:

We stayed at Caerfai but it's a bit pricier (£9), albeit a lot nicer and with stunning views. Windy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...