Sport inbetween Cornwall & Nottingham?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 higgywins 04 Aug 2020

We're in Cornwall for a week and are looking to find the best place to stop for a couple of days sport climbing on the way back to Nottingham. We were potentially going to go Portland but it doesn't really cut the journey down. Is there somewhere worth a couple of days but further North?

Cake 04 Aug 2020
In reply to higgywins:

The Wye valley:

Wintour's Leap Mainly trad, but some sport.

Shorn Cliff

Ban-y-gor

Cheddar (there are lots of rules about seasonal restrictions though, and I don't know them)

Brean Down

I haven't been to any of them, by the way, but they are in my selected guide, so they are probably good.

Uluru 04 Aug 2020
In reply to higgywins:

Woodcroft Quarry which is above Wintours Leap and is mostly sport.

You'll need to check the tides for Brean Down if you want to access it from the beach.

Wyndcliffe Quarry just up the road from Chepstow.

The Pylon King 04 Aug 2020
In reply to higgywins:

Wye Valley. There's a good book that covers it all.

Martin Hore 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Cake:

> The Wye valley:

> Wintour's Leap Mainly trad, but some sport.

Not Shorn Cliff surely! It's a long walk from the car to discover when you get there that it's all trad (but all pretty good by the way).

Martin

Cake 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Martin Hore:

Sorry, thanks for correcting me. 

ElArt 06 Aug 2020
In reply to higgywins:

Anstey cove in Torquay??? 30 minutes off the A38 so about an hour extra of driving.  

GrahamD 06 Aug 2020
In reply to higgywins:

Cheddar, possibly,  if you are BMC members. 

fammer 06 Aug 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

There is currently only access for the north side of cheddar (apart from a few weekday evening exceptions), which is national trust owned and doesn't require BMC membership. 

Cheddar would be a good option if you're looking to climb in the 7s, the lower grade stuff on the north side isn't the best quality

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...