Southern Sandstone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Warnett 25 May 2020

Hi all

Masses of people out enjoying the sandstone recently (myself included) never seen Harrison’s so busy....

but we must protect this fragile rock.

Remember to top out, not lower off routes, and don’t overly dog routes, both lead to rope grooves in rock 

follow the sandstone code https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Handlers/DownloadHandler.ashx?id=1474

Cheers 

mark

Joffy 25 May 2020
In reply to Mark Warnett:

Do people feel comfortable telling other people if their anchors seem wrong?

After seeing some innocent mistakes, which are easily done, I've been tempted to point it out but at the same time don't wanna "rude".

In reply to Joffy:

Way better to appear rude than allow an accident to happen. If the people in question are obviously beginners, and you are experienced, I think you almost have a duty to come to their aid and educate them ("mentoring").

FactorXXX 26 May 2020

> Masses of people out enjoying the sandstone recently (myself included) never seen Harrison’s so busy....

Not saying that Social Distancing wasn't adhered to, but to be honest, doesn't sound as if people are being responsible as perhaps they should.

Hooo 26 May 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

You can say it if you like

I was there today, left about 11 as usual as it was getting too crowded for comfort. Plenty of people taking no notice of social distancing. To be fair, the climbers were better than the walkers. Obviously they are just as entitled as climbers to be at Harrisons, but I can't understand why anyone would want to go for walk in a large group to a venue that's guaranteed to be rammed. 

Post edited at 12:45
 Johnlenham 26 May 2020

Is there some kind of youtube video that goes into detail about climbing on SS?  Im orgionally from kent and might try and visit in the future when i go back to visit my fam( when its allowed..) 

Just reading the pdf left me more confused than when i started!  

Trangia 26 May 2020
In reply to John Stainforth:

> Way better to appear rude than allow an accident to happen. If the people in question are obviously beginners, and you are experienced, I think you almost have a duty to come to their aid and educate them ("mentoring").

I agree, there are ways and means of telling people considerately, rather than officiously. I often used to talk nicely to people at SS if I saw a set up which was either dangerous to them or harmful to the rock. Pretty well all were grateful for the advice, and took it in good spirit.

Joffy 26 May 2020
In reply to John Stainforth:

Oh definitely agree on this, what I meant was more for the rock management. Example being someone not quite extending the slings enough so the karb and rope are on the rock.

Definitely safe, but also creates more wear. How would people tackle that?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...