Soloing Article by Al Churcher

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siderunner 14 Aug 2019

While brushing up my history after reading the “most dogged ...” thread, in particular Cliff Phillips surviving his huge fall off Dinas Mot, I came across a fantastic article covering the history of soloing in Britain: “Two is One Too Many” by Al Churcher. Thought other might enjoy it too. The PDF is freely available on the Climbers Club website.

(Apologies if this has been posted recently, I certainly haven’t seen it before.)

Post edited at 09:27
 john arran 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Siderunner:

I haven't read it yet but here's a helpful link: http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/journal/original/1991%20Journal-p118-127.pdf

Mick Ward 14 Aug 2019
In reply to john arran:

Have just read it - a very good article indeed.

Mick

tehmarks 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Siderunner:

This is a brilliant article; thank you for posting.

In reply to john arran:

Thanks for posting the link, I really enjoyed re-reading it.

Matt Podd 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Siderunner:

I remember walking up to Cloggy one morning with 'Fast Eddie' and meeting Jimmy J and Paul W walking down. They had gone up at 5.30am for Paul to photograph Jimmy soloing The Axe in sunlight. The guide book cover shot. They were both still buzzing.

Shani 14 Aug 2019
In reply to UKC:

If anyone wants a copy, I've got a few A3 posters of Jimmy on The Axe. FREE if you collect in person and pinky-promise to make a donation to Mountain Rescue or RNLI.

In reply to Shani:

Yes please,  but where are you based for collection? I guess posting you a stamped addressed poster tube would be too much faff??

Darron 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Siderunner:

Teriffic article, thanks.

Shani 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Sandstone Stickman:

Sheffield. 

Michael Gordon 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Siderunner:

Excellent. I love the bit in brackets in the first N Wales paragraph - so true!

Shani 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Shani:

They're bigger than A3! Could be A1?

Deadeye 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Shani:

> If anyone wants a copy, I've got a few A3 posters of Jimmy on The Axe. FREE if you collect in person and pinky-promise to make a donation to Mountain Rescue or RNLI.

>

Hi Shani

please could I have one of those?  One of my favourite climbing shots of all time.

I'll PM you

Shani 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Yep. No problem .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...