Short Amateur Film - Owl Face

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Collins 24 Feb 2020

Hi,

I've created a short amateur film called Owl Face. It follows Neil Henson and I as we attempt a traditional first ascent in a Lancashire Quarry. The film had its Premiere a few weeks back at the Lancashire Adventure Film Festival and I thought folk on here might also be interested in viewing it:
youtube.com/watch?v=dbJ0mZfchrk&

Please reply back with any comments you may have.

OP Mark Collins 24 Feb 2020
In reply to Mark Collins:

...featuring wildlife and environmental themes. 

The Pylon King 25 Feb 2020

Absolutely love it! More please.

Didn't look like there was much point in being put on belay though!

Mick Ward 25 Feb 2020

Also loved it - and guessed the grade exactly.

'We so far forgot ourselves as to shake hands...'

What climbing is all about.

Mick

Ollie Keynes 25 Feb 2020

Same as the above, really nice grassroots climbing and lovely edit

OP Mark Collins 25 Feb 2020
In reply to All:

Thanks very much for the comments.

Great little film, I'd definitely be interested in seeing more.

Lankyman 25 Feb 2020

> as we attempt a traditional first ascent in a Lancashire Quarry

That brought back a few childhood memories from the early 70's. Friends of my parents had Cliff Farm down to the east of there and I used to occasionally stay or cycle over from the other side of Wigan. Me and a few friends practiced abseiling on old tow ropes and bits of improvised kit in that delph. It's a wonder you weren't fishing our dead bodies out of there instead of an old bike! Great little film.

BusyLizzie 25 Feb 2020

Omg they even took the bike and the bin bag back with them. Endearingly delicious film, keep doing it please 

olddirtydoggy 25 Feb 2020

Great watch. Just right length, nicely shot and relatable to most of us on here. Whilst it's nice to watch Ondra power scream up a 9b sport route I think I prefer to watch a nice trad film that's more in tune with why I climb. Would watch more like this, thanks.

Gone for good 25 Feb 2020

A most enjoyable watch and Chapeau for both the first ascent and the litter pick!!

kaiser 25 Feb 2020

enjoyed that lots.

And Owls have barbecues!  Hugh New?

Neil Henson 26 Feb 2020
In reply to all:

Thanks for all the positive comments. We've both been really pleased with the wonderful feedback and requests for more.

Cheers 

Neil 

BALD EAGLE 26 Feb 2020

Very nice edit Mark! And extra kudos for removing a load of litter too!

Cheers

Dave 

RX-78 26 Feb 2020

Nice short clip, one thing about that trashed bike what happened to the spokes of the front wheel!!

Neil Henson 26 Feb 2020
In reply to RX-78:

> Nice short clip, one thing about that trashed bike what happened to the spokes of the front wheel!!

Good question. They weren't there when Mark pulled it out.

McHeath 26 Feb 2020
In reply to Neil Henson:

Lovely film; please make more!

You asked for feedback, so at the risk of being niggly, a couple of points :

The seasons seem to jump around in the nature shots (full foliage everywhere except in the deer shot, and doesn't willow herb bloom much later than lambing time and bluebells? Also: the music came as a big surprise, sounded very much as though it had been recorded somewhere else, and I couldn't for the life of me see an instrument in your hands!

Please don't get me wrong, I loved the film; these were just minor details which disturbed the flow a bit for me. 

Neil Henson 26 Feb 2020
In reply to McHeath:

Also: the music came as a big surprise, sounded very much as though it had been recorded somewhere else, and I couldn't for the life of me see an instrument in your hands!

Hi McHeath,

Thanks for the feedback. With regards the music, you are partially correct:

I played an improvised rhythm piece to camera on a diatonic harmonica (key of low C). However the crag is within earshot of the M61 and the constant road noise that entails. So I had to record a similar piece at home, to be added in later without the road noise. Both recordings were improvised and slightly different. That is why the timing of my breathing and the sound coming from the instrument are a bit out of sync in the film.

Cheers

Neil

OP Mark Collins 26 Feb 2020
In reply to RX-78:

> Nice short clip, one thing about that trashed bike what happened to the spokes of the front wheel!!

First things to go being thin and flimsy I suppose, bike was pretty rotten.

McHeath 26 Feb 2020
In reply to Neil Henson:

I'd assumed something like this. Almost have a bad conscience now for having brought it up. I liked the sound of the harmonica, don't think I've heard such a deep one before! 

OP Mark Collins 26 Feb 2020
In reply to McHeath:

> The seasons seem to jump around in the nature shots (full foliage everywhere except in the deer shot, and doesn't willow herb bloom much later than lambing time and bluebells? Also: the music came as a big surprise, sounded very much as though it had been recorded somewhere else, and I couldn't for the life of me see an instrument in your hands!

Great spots there and thanks to Neil for answering the music questions. The film was shot over the period of a year in an attempt to make the most of natural highlights.

Neil Henson 26 Feb 2020
In reply to McHeath:

No problem. It was a valid question. It's a bit more expensive than a standard key harmonica, but does give a lovely, deep rich tone.

Chris_Mellor 27 Feb 2020

Great and decent little movie. Very well made. Enjoyed the music break, the pacing, and the way the video told the story without any wordy interventions. Though the route looked unprotected too! Keep making these little gems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...