Sheeps Tor land for sale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Good morning, 

I saw this on my regular Right Move browsings this morning: 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-90299020....

'A unique opportunity to purchase the iconic Dartmoor landmark of Sheeps Tor set in about 127.35 acres (51.54 ha) of freehold moorland. FOR SALE BY LIVESTREAM AUCTION ON FRIDAY 21ST MAY 2021 FROM 12 NOON AT auctionhouse.co.uk/symondsandsampson' 

Assuming that this isn't an elaborate April fool's, I would be interested to know if anyone had any idea of what the process is in cases like this with access rights? I'm aware of Vixen Tor and a little bit about what happened there. 

As always qualified and wildly unqualified opinions very welcome!

Phil79 01 Apr 2021
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

Sheepstor is access land under CROW, so assume owners couldn't shut access to climbers/walkers just like that.

I believe that wasn't the case for Vixen Tor, and an attempt was made to prove long standing public access and define area as CROW access land, which ultimately failed.    

I assume Commoners rights also apply in terms of grazing stock at Sheeps Tor. 

This blog post on subject of Dartmoor land ownership is very interesting:

https://whoownsengland.org/2021/03/22/who-owns-dartmoor/

In reply to Phil79:

Thanks Phil. That's a very helpful reply indeed. Cheers for satisfying my curiosity. 

Cusco 01 Apr 2021

I don't know about this.

On a Sheeps Tor related matter, I'm sure I read somewhere that 'No Parking' signs have recently been put up in the parking area at the end of the lane (ie the one near to the farm gate).

Does anyone have any information about this? If that's happened, there's only limited parking elsewhere in the lane (unless one parks on grass verges).

Phil79 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Cusco:

> On a Sheeps Tor related matter, I'm sure I read somewhere that 'No Parking' signs have recently been put up in the parking area at the end of the lane (ie the one near to the farm gate).

I might pop up that way to walk the dog this evening, if I do I'll let you know.

Graeme Hammond 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Phil79:

> Sheepstor is access land under CROW, so assume owners couldn't shut access to climbers/walkers just like that.

My understanding is that if you develop the land, in certain ways for example planting of trees you can then apply to have its CROW status removed so it doesn't guarantee acess in the long term. Happy to be corrected on the above but i believe this is what the owners of vixen tor claimed resulting in the current access situation.

Post edited at 12:07
 Sean Kelly 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

> My understanding is that if you develop the land, in certain ways for example planting of trees you can then apply to have its CROW status removed so it doesn't guarantee acess in the long term. Happy to be corrected on the above but i believe this is what the owners of vixen tor claimed resulting in the current access situation.

That seems to ring a bell. If so, then landowners can drive a coach & horses through the CROW Act

cragtyke 02 Apr 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

BBC News - 'Iconic' Sheeps Tor on Dartmoor is for sale https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56604580

In reply to cragtyke:

Who's start the crowd sourcing purchase? I'll throw in a tenner. We'll be there in no time. 

bouldery bits 02 Apr 2021

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Wainers44 02 Apr 2021
In reply to Graham 'Sven' Hassall:

> Who's start the crowd sourcing purchase? I'll throw in a tenner. We'll be there in no time. 

If the right organisation picks this up I would contribute too. The total car crash that was and is the access to Vixen Tor is a warning that should not be ignored. 

CantClimbTom 03 Apr 2021

Sorry everyone, I was planning to buy it, move locally and improve access etc. But at the last minute I didn't win last night's Euromillion jackpot. This unexpected turn of events kind of sunk my plans. Great disappointment!

Cusco 04 Apr 2021
In reply to Cusco:

Well, I ws there today and there were no 'No Parking' signs in that parking area (which I parked in). So apologies for any previous bad info!

There were, however, a few auction sale boards in the lane for the sale of Sheeps Tor.

smollett 04 Apr 2021
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

> My understanding is that if you develop the land, in certain ways for example planting of trees you can then apply to have its CROW status removed so it doesn't guarantee acess in the long term. Happy to be corrected on the above but i believe this is what the owners of vixen tor claimed resulting in the current access situation.

The grazing rights dont come with the sale so I have my doubts that is possible without the agreement of those who have these rights. Also not clear what sporting rights are included. I am not sure what you get from the purchase.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...