Sharp Edge Quarry - East Midlands/Rutland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

While checking the entries in the BMC RAD I came across Sharp Edge Quarry, it is also recorded in the UKC crag listing but has no listed moderator. Sharp Edge Quarry The location is noted as being in the E Midlands yet its grid ref starts with NY which places it just outside Cockermouth on the NW edge of the Lakes! Does anyone have the correct GR for this venue plus any other information so I can correct the RAD?

spenser 03 Dec 2019
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

I doubt you'll find anything 70m high in East Mids/ Rutland, especially not where you walk UP into the quarry, largest I can think of is Mountsorrel awhich is still being worked and Charnwood but you approach that while dropping in from the top.

I suspect its grid reference is likely to be more accurate.

Luke90 03 Dec 2019

The "Wheatsheaf Inn" referenced in the UKC approach notes does seem to exist in a location matching up with the position shown on the UKC map (NW Lakes).

(Edit: And Google's satellite view for that location looks plausibly like the quarry described.)

Post edited at 18:33
 Lankyman 03 Dec 2019
In reply to Luke90:

> The "Wheatsheaf Inn" referenced in the UKC approach notes does seem to exist in a location matching up with the position shown on the UKC map (NW Lakes).

> (Edit: And Google's satellite view for that location looks plausibly like the quarry described.)

Yes, looking at the grid square in Geograph https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NY1730 does reveal the Wheatsheaf Inn at Embleton and one photo does actually show a quarry on the hill above https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/90950 Called Embleton Quarries on very large scale maps - try clicking on the Geograph OS map and zoom in the scale slider on the left.

In reply to spenser:

Spenser 

You are absolutely right that there is unlikely to be a 70m high quarry in Leics/Rutland. Huncote quarry was/is (depending on how much has been quarries or filled in) probably the largest. The problem I want to resolve is the quoted GR (Cumbria) doesn't tally with the stated location in the Midlands.

In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks for your research. I had picked up the quarry at Embleton using the Aerial shots on the OS website but not that there was a pub nearby. Looking at the OS map the quarry height might be exaggerated at 70m as the entrance is at about 160m while its top is 190m. I have been a N Lakes regular for far too many years and have never heard of climbing in this quarry ( or any in the vicinity of Cockermouth). I feel a site visit coming on.

rlrs 03 Dec 2019

I updated the area to Cumbria, in case anyone gets confused.

Michael Hood 04 Dec 2019

There maybe one or two quarries of that height in Leicestershire (definitely not in Rutland) but they're either being worked and/or multiple tiers.

Some of Huncote is still there but I don't know if anyone has climbed there in the last decade or so.

Post edited at 07:23
 Nigel Coe 05 Dec 2019

Looks like some call it Close Quarry: http://www.derwentfells.com/pdfs/Embleton&WythopTalk-webversion.pdf

In reply to Nigel Coe:

Thanks Nigel.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...