Self rescue flowchart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Osiris 14 Feb 2021

Just in case anyone is interested, I've been putting together a self rescue flowchart (leader and second). I've never seen a good one before and sifting through the plethora of books can be quite tiresome. Those interested, please have a nosey and suggest improvements. Ta.

What I have learnt is that direct belays and double ropes make serious situations much easier!

I'm no expert, but all the steps are thoroughly documented by a range of expert and experienced climbers. I've simply collated them. There are probably some errors in there. Also I'm not sure how many of these would work in reality as I've not practiced them. Please don't trust your life to my flowchart.

https://whimsical.com/second-rescue-3pfaeDw8woJSsYTMXTWXHk

https://whimsical.com/leader-rescue-HB4bNDGnzap2X6p2xjUuVX

Post edited at 18:05
 AlanLittle 14 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

Good effort

> I've been putting together a self rescue flowchart ... create powerpoint if required

Made oi larf

OP Osiris 14 Feb 2021
In reply to AlanLittle:

Ah! Not clear enough I know. I have clearly just designed it for my own brain. I'll work on that. I'll have to add in the indirect/direct belay splits.

Unless you meant the other type of powerpoint. In which case, Hahah!

Post edited at 18:24
 Herdwickmatt 14 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

You’ve missed the option of the belayer being within reach of rucksack containing a penknife. 

Great effort though! I’d never really thought the steps like that before.

OP Osiris 14 Feb 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

That would be my first option, but depends how much I like the partner.

AlanLittle 14 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

> Unless you meant the other type of powerpoint.

Yup

gravy 14 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

You've missed "try not to need this flow chart in the first place" and "what to do if I got myself into a pickle and didn't bring my crib sheet"...

OP Osiris 14 Feb 2021
In reply to gravy:

Ah well, can't make everyone happy!

Gav_92 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

Good work, always found writing down stuff made me remember it better 

Dave B 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

Good work. Is imagine developing it is the most useful thing, thinking through the possibilities... 

My one is similar :

Are you stuck? use WD40

Are you moving when you, shouldn't : use Duct tape...

OP Osiris 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave B:

Ah if only such simple rules could be applied to climbing! Everytime I look at the flowchart I see potential improvements. It's become a monster. I will add comment permissions for people to make suggestions when viewing.

Post edited at 12:20
 timparkin 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

Triple no option in top right of leader flowchart is confusing,, which to take?

Toerag 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

> What I have learnt is that direct belays and double ropes make serious situations much easier!

There's no reason not to use a direct belay for 99% of people's climbing.  If you need to 'protect the belay' just clip yourself into the powerpoint and position yourself so the weight comes onto you before the belay. The only reason I can see to make an indirect belay would be if you don't have enough rope / slings / cordelette to construct a direct one.

OP Osiris 15 Feb 2021
In reply to timparkin:

You're right, it was a bit confusing. It should be all cleared up now.

OP Osiris 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Well... though I agree that having a direct belay is favourable in many situations, in many situations it's just not the best option: anchors far apart or away from the edge being very common situations (I know you could do an extended direct belay, but often you don't have enough rope and then you still find yourself in the predicament of how to extract the rope anyway). 99% of the time people don't use indirect belays to protect the anchor, but just because it's easy and it's what they're comfortable with. I say use whatever type of belay is right for the situation. Also, when I did RCI instructor training, direct belays were generally not taught or recommended for that kind of single pitch work, though in my personal climbing it's what I favour where possible.

Being rigid with your approach might well result in more problems than solutions, but let's not go into the direct vs indirect debate - anything I could fix on the flowchart?

Post edited at 14:07
 tlouth7 15 Feb 2021
In reply to Osiris:

It's impressive and a useful training tool, but clearly too detailed to apply in a rescue situation.

I wonder if you could condense it to a simpler chart, or set of questions:

1. Can the casualty be lowered to somewhere safe? If yes, advance to step 3

2. If no, can you tie them off and escape? (If no, er, crap)

3. If yes, can you then get to them e.g with prussics or downclimbing? (If no, er, crap)

4. Once with the casualty, make an anchor and remove any kit from higher up.

5. Abseil together or lower the casualty as appropriate.

Post edited at 14:19
OP Osiris 15 Feb 2021
In reply to tlouth7:

I may try and create a more simplified form in future. The trouble with simplicity is that it leaves many questions unanswered. For example, many rescues would get stuck at number 2 on your list, whereas the flow chart at least provides options.

The idea of getting out your phone when your partner is screaming for help is certainly less than ideal, but paramedics and doctors aren't expected to remember all the life saving protocols they use; they all use books, phones and apps, so why not everyday climbers? I probably couldn't remember each step perfectly as I have a shite memory, but it might be enough to get me started and then I could hopefully figure out the rest with the base knowledge I have.

Once I have it perfected, I might print it out and start carrying it when I get out climbing! I would feel somewhat sorry for my second looking up at me pondering my chart, but if it's all I've got, I'll take it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...