Rope solo with Edelrid Jul2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Atomorama 26 Sep 2020

I'm trying to use the Edelrid Jul 2 for solo climbing.

The main advantage is the semplicity of the system: basically I use the Jul and the rope on the harness ring like making secure to a first climber and the game is finished.

The rope feed well and the system seems solid.

Anyone tried this system?

Thanks all and sorry for the bad english.

Si Witcher 26 Sep 2020
In reply to Atomorama:

No, the jul 2 looks to be an assisted braking device (like an BD ATC Pilot) but not a fully auto-locking device, so you would be relying entirely on your back up clove hitch (if you're using one?). Good luck with that for soloing - the game may indeed be finished.

Post edited at 20:47
 SteveSBlake 27 Sep 2020
In reply to Si Witcher:

Unless they are Czech, Polish or Slovenian in which case it’s likely the safest thing they have ever done....

beardy mike 27 Sep 2020
In reply to Atomorama: I suggest you join the lead rope solo group on facebook - there are lots of people knowledgable in lrs. Jul 2 as a solo device, seems optimistic to me... 

John Kelly 27 Sep 2020
In reply to Atomorama:

Don't think the Jul is a great option, Revo seems to do the job, lot of folk like a Grigri - nothing is actually rated for this job

https://m.facebook.com/groups/265622081104985/?ref=group_browse

Mallion and a clove hitch is a safe ish cheap option - bit clunky

Post edited at 20:17
 PaulTanton 28 Sep 2020
In reply to John Kelly:

is a shunt not better. Using a belay device is real hassle as you would have to keep pulling the rope through. A shunt will just slide up the rope if the weigh the end down with spare gear.

John Kelly 28 Sep 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

You might be right, I thought he was talking about lead rope soloing, OP - 'first climber' = lead climber?

camilo_chile 28 Sep 2020
In reply to Atomorama:

I've got a Jul 2 and only use it for its intended use, BELAYING. Although I have tried solo top roping on it.

If you're solo top roping, use a shunt, or even a grigri making sure you take in rope. If you're using the Jul, you'll have to make sure the rope isn't weighted (as with grigri) and tie stopper knots every now and then. This just equates to faff that is completely avoidable with a shunt. You say the rope feeds well, is this in a real life outdoor situation, or in the ideal scenario of your house or garage? Once full lengths of rope are coiled out and real situation weights are in place, I find it hard to believe the Jul feeds freely. (unless you're using a 8 mm rope)

Lead climbing with the Jul just seems daft. I can assure you there is no way the Jul will self feed in either situation. Being assisted braking, once the biner is locked in the notch, there's very little movement of the rope, unless you lift it with the thumb, but then you'd have to feed rope out using both hands. You'd have to balance out a tricky game with respect to rope width. If the rope is skinny, it might feed easier, but the jul won't take or block at all. If the rope is fat, the Jul will catch, but it won't feed freely.

As with everything, don't improvise with your gear. Want to self-belay? Get the appropriate stuff. Shunts are relatively cheap, modify a grigri for leading, buy a soloist for thousands, whatever you do, just do it safely.

Post edited at 14:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...