Rock Holds Notation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 20 Jun 2020

Is anyone aware of a (visual) notation aimed at describing an outdoor route based on its holds?  Something which models stuff like small edges, sidepulls, pockets, jugs, etc.  I'm sure I've seen such a thing in books or magazines somewhere but can't recall where.  An internet search didn't really turn up anything useful.  Obviously I could invent my own, but if there's already a visual lexicon that someone knows of....

Post edited at 05:14
 MJAngry 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

You mean beyond what the rock fax books already do? 

Andy Gamisou 20 Jun 2020
In reply to MJAngry:

I'm not talking about marking a route on a topo, I mean marking the holds and their characteristics for a particular route.  The sort of thing your might do for red-pointing hard routes (which is my interest in this).  

ianstevens 20 Jun 2020

I’ve just made stuff up myself in the past, or annotated a sketch

gravy 20 Jun 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Exactly so.  In fact this is a skill that is actively taught alongside techniques for memorising  and visualising moves. I dare say you'll get more out of sketching and making up your own method than learning someone else's.

Post edited at 09:22
 bpmclimb 20 Jun 2020

> Is anyone aware of a (visual) notation aimed at describing an outdoor route based on its holds?  Something which models stuff like small edges, sidepulls, pockets, jugs, etc. 

A problem with that immediately springs to mind: maybe some routes with relatively few, spaced holds can effectively only be climbed one way, using all the "official" holds and no others, but I'm sure lots aren't like that - even very hard ones.

ianstevens 20 Jun 2020
In reply to gravy:

I don't think the OP was after someone else's sketch, just a standard symbology

petegunn 20 Jun 2020

You could programme a VR with all the holds and moves on to help with visualisation at home beforehand.

Have you climbed on the route or is it something you want to try on a trip?

Lots of folks recreate boulder problems or route crux's on their home training boards but you would need to know the climb, size and length of holds/reaches to do this.

I am sure that there are several indoor walls around which are supposed to be photo copies of actual crags. 

Post edited at 12:16
 profitofdoom 20 Jun 2020
Andy Gamisou 20 Jun 2020
Andy Gamisou 20 Jun 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> I don't think the OP was after someone else's sketch, just a standard symbology

Yes, that was what I was thinking of. 

flaneur 20 Jun 2020

Good question. I am not aware of a generic system.

My notation is adapted from US and European route topos: circle = pocket; thin single line = thin crack; two parallel lines = wider crack; horizontal line with vertical hatching below = crimp; vertical line with horizontal hatching to the left = right facing side-pull or Gaston. Two parallel lines with hatching between =pinch or tufa. If the hold is a sloper rather than a crimp, the hatching is diagonal rather than perpendicular to the line of hold.  

Andy Gamisou 20 Jun 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

> A problem with that immediately springs to mind: maybe some routes with relatively few, spaced holds can effectively only be climbed one way, using all the "official" holds and no others, but I'm sure lots aren't like that - even very hard ones.

Well, that's true.  However I was thinking more in terms of a personal sequence up a route.  Obviously I've done a pretty poor job of describing what I was looking for.  

wbo2 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:Hmm ,,, I've seen one that stands out , but can't remember which guide it was in... is there anything in the older bouldering guides.?  A handdrawn topo for the problems on minus ten for example?

petegunn 20 Jun 2020

Wasn't there a topo for the Bowderstone in an old FRCC guide which showed the hold types, edges, pockets etc or was it just a hand drawn pic?   

Andy Gamisou 21 Jun 2020
In reply to petegunn:

> Wasn't there a topo for the Bowderstone in an old FRCC guide which showed the hold types, edges, pockets etc or was it just a hand drawn pic?   

Maybe, but if so I haven't seen this guide.  This is the sort of thing though.  I've seen something similar a few times, but can't remember where.  I'm coming up with own notation though, so there's that....

carl dawson 21 Jun 2020

Early issues of Grimper magazine had detailed move-diagrams for crux sections of classic routes, in a pull-out section. Along the lines of the description higher up the thread.

Michael Hood 21 Jun 2020

Can't directly help you but sounds like you're after something analogous to orienteering's standard symbols that are used to describe controls.

Possible student project - no idea what the degree subject would be - sports science maybe - any takers?

Sean_J 21 Jun 2020

The Yorkshire bouldering guide by Cameron Duff had a few pages with hold-by-hold diagrams of a few select faces - the Calf at Ilkley had one such page. I don't think they were particularly good diagrams in terms of symbols for different hold types but it might be worth a look to give you ideas.

scott titt 21 Jun 2020

Jingo  Wobbly Portugal guidebook

birdie num num 21 Jun 2020

I think some of the old Steve Ashton books used to have topos with the symbols you describe, they were all a bit crude though

Andy Gamisou 21 Jun 2020
In reply to scott titt:

> Jingo  Wobbly Portugal guidebook

Wow - the guide had hold to hold granularity on the topos?

Andy Gamisou 21 Jun 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Can't directly help you but sounds like you're after something analogous to orienteering's standard symbols that are used to describe controls.

> Possible student project - no idea what the degree subject would be - sports science maybe - any takers?

Well, it occurs to me that knocking up an  app of  some sort that allows the sketching of routes in this way might be something that keeps me out of trouble for a few months, so I guess something would fall out of that, if I go ahead with it.

wbo2 21 Jun 2020
In reply to birdie num num:

> I think some of the old Steve Ashton books used to have topos with the symbols you describe, they were all a bit crude though

Pull f***ing hard to the f***sidepull, place some sh***y wires and get your a**e up the f*****g crack crude?

birdie num num 21 Jun 2020
In reply to wbo2:

Well he was always enthusiastic about his dramatic descriptions, but no, it was the topos, they were hand drawn adequate(ish) with a bit of imagination. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...