Rock climbing in the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gallonj 28 May 2020

Hi,

I have a day off tomorrow and was considering going rock climbing in the Lake District (possibly Grey Crag, Buttermere with my son (we are one household).  We live around an hour and a half away.  Obviously we will social distance and keep away from other walkers/climbers if we go.  What is the view of other climbers on UKC - is it OK to proceed with this plan or should we not go?

Many thanks.

John

In reply to gallonj:

In your position I’d go in a heartbeat.

OP gallonj 28 May 2020
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Thanks Tom

Alpenglow 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

Go, but make sure you abseil back down each route after you've climbed it and wipe each hold you used with hand sanitiser. 

JohnBson 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

Just go if you want. It's your decision, your risk assessment. No point in getting others to advise as none of the vast majority of them are just as biased and ill informed as each other.

It will be a good test of your eyesight. Maybe you need your finger strength tested before you get back to work.

If you go have fun!

joem 28 May 2020
In reply to JohnBson:

I think the real question is "how unpopular will this be with the locals" no?

Greenbanks 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

Definitely go. But only after you've done a trial drive...maybe to a crag a bit closer to you, so as you can check that you're up to the bigger trip

John Kelly 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/car-park-status#295794

Buttermere has been busy, plenty parking available in langdale today

JohnBson 28 May 2020
In reply to joem:

Not really. We know the answer. It doesn't  take a genius to know that some will think it's perfectly acceptable others will hate you for it. These ones are people who have a tendency towards parochialism, get off my land types during the best times. They will also be the most vocal so you're unlikely to be able to build a balanced and informed view of what the consensus is from a forum. We can already see this in practice on literally every forum on UKC. 

adam06 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

I'd go, but have a less popular crag as a backup plan.. if it looks busy then go to another crag.. plenty about.

Dewi Williams 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

I would suggest that you do what you think is right, the govt is a busted flush when it comes to giving advice now. If I were you then I would go. 

cathsullivan 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

I've pondered Grey Crag ... good choice in many ways, I think.  But we weren't sure about the parking as the parking we'd normally use, and the path we'd normally use, are very close to a farm (Gatesgarth). There are other ways to get there, of course, but longer I presume.

pec 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

I've been climbing in the Lakes a couple of times now, on weekdays not weekends. I can't speak for everywhere but it was VERY quiet in Langdale. Nobody on Gimmer, Raven Crag or White Ghyll (as far as I could see) on warm sunny days. Also very few walkers about and no sign of local vigilantes wielding pitch forks etc

The forecast for tomorrow is warm and the crags are largely dry and won't be busy until at least the weekend. There's no reason not to go.

Post edited at 17:47
 pec 28 May 2020
In reply to Dewi Williams:

> I would suggest that you do what you think is right, the govt is a busted flush when it comes to giving advice now. If I were you then I would go. 

The government issued clear advice about two weeks ago which permitted unlimited outdoor exercise with other members of your household. That's why a lot of us have been out climbing since. Did you miss it?

Dewi Williams 28 May 2020
In reply to pec:

No I did not miss it as you well know and if you don't understand the context of my post then I'm not going to explain it to you. 

Roadrunner6 28 May 2020
In reply to adam06:

> I'd go, but have a less popular crag as a backup plan.. if it looks busy then go to another crag.. plenty about.

This. I'd go, if its busy go elsewhere. Just be sensible. I think the outdoor community have to be extra careful, the knives are out and some people do want access to the hills largely stopped.

Removed User 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

Hi John,

It's perfectly legal to go, as you won't be breaking any rules, as long as you observe the guidelines.

On the other hand, the mountain rescue teams have politely requested that people keep off the fells, especially the high fells and to avoid risk. Coniston MRT have explained why quite comprehensively in a very well put together statement on their facebook page, which outlines the amount of preparation pre and post rescue preparation and cleansing they will have to do. Also how any potential infection will affect them. It's worth a read

I Personally think that it would be morally ok to go, as long as if anything happens you don't call the mountain rescue service. However, that isn't likely in the event of a serious accident. I also think that the Government have let the MRTs down, in that they are giving the green light to everyone to get out and do what they want. I know a lot of people who are still keeping off the fells and crags out of respect to the MRTs.

That's my two-penneth. If you do go, I hope you keep safe.

All the best.

OP gallonj 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

Many thanks all for your constructive and helpful views.  I think I will go but will heed all of the advice/suggestions.

Rog Wilko 28 May 2020
In reply to adam06:

> I'd go, but have a less popular crag as a backup plan.. if it looks busy then go to another crag.. plenty about.

Be a shame to walk all the way up to Grey Crag and then have to turn back if it was too busy. Having said that I'd be very surprised if it did turn out to be busy. Most people aren't fit enough at the moment to carry a sac of rock gear right up there!

Purple 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

The LDSAMRA (Lake District Search and Mountain Rescue Association) advice no longer asks that everyone stays off the high fells. A press release on 22nd May removed this request.

Go well prepared and take it easy - have a great time! Good choice of venue.

Roadrunner6 28 May 2020
In reply to Removed User:

"I Personally think that it would be morally ok to go, as long as if anything happens you don't call the mountain rescue service. "

I think they should call for rescue. A rock tumbles off an edge, knocks out a climber, get help.

Try to be as safe as possible but MRT is there for a reason. I'm sure no member would rather someone would die than reach out for help.

Lord_ash2000 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

It's fine, and has been since lockdown measures were first softened. And as of next week you can head down with 5 friends if you want. Perfect easy trad conditions at the moment and loads of stuff will be dry.

Post edited at 19:44
 m dunn 28 May 2020
In reply to adam06:

Eagle Front!

Mark Eddy 28 May 2020
In reply to gallonj:

Go, the weather here is perfect for the high crags, make the most of it. Over the last week I've climbed in the Duddon valley, Borrowdale, Langdale, and on Pikes crag (Scafell Pike) today. The higher crags have been quiet so easy to social distance. We had Pikes crag to ourselves today.

Hope you have a great day

pec 28 May 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Be a shame to walk all the way up to Grey Crag and then have to turn back if it was too busy.

You'd have to climb Eagle front instead I imagine it can't be far off dry by now if indeed it isn't already. Absolutely brilliant route and if it is dry I'd go there ahead of Grey Crag, you might have to wait a long time for another chance!

In reply to gallonj:

> Hi,

> is it OK to proceed with this plan or should we not go?

Go! I stared at Grey Crags/High Stile from my bedroom window as a kid. We climbed today and will tomorrow. There is no shortage of rescue volunteers for any climber in distress.

DC

Rog Wilko 29 May 2020
In reply to pec

> You'd have to climb Eagle front instead I imagine it can't be far off dry by now if indeed it isn't already. Absolutely brilliant route and if it is dry I'd go there ahead of Grey Crag, you might have to wait a long time for another chance!

Yes a great opportunity. Mind you, speaking as a bumbly, I'd personally not take on Eagle Front as first route  for months. 

Rog Wilko 29 May 2020
In reply to pec:

Just remembered there's another nearly-always-wet route at Buttermere which is really worth doing

Resurrection Route (VS 4b)

Rog Wilko 29 May 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Could make an enchainment with EF.

Removed User 29 May 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Yes, they should call for rescue, which is my point. They then commit the rescue teams to expose themselves to risk. Let's face it, the rescue teams are people who put themselves out to help others,

it 

Removed User 29 May 2020
In reply to Purple:

What they actually asked everyone to do was, if people were going to come to the Lakes, to keep off the high fells and stick to lower level walks, having realized that a sizeable minority were still turning up to go on the fells.

oldie 29 May 2020
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> It's fine, and has been since lockdown measures were first softened. And as of next week you can head down with 5 friends if you want. <

In theory in 6 different cars if not from same household.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...