Rock climbing and Mental well-being questionnaire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 09 Apr 2021

Hi guys, my name is George Mollard, and I am an undergraduate student of BA (Hons) Outdoor Adventure Education at Plymouth Marjon University. As part of my final year, I am completing research regarding the effects of recreational rock climbing on an individuals’ mental health and well-being.

I have devised a questionnaire regarding the subject at hand that will take you no longer than 10 minutes. The more responses I receive the better, so all responses would be most appreciated. 

If you have any further questions or queries please feel free to contact me on here or at my personal email: ianholloway6969@gmail.com.

The link for the questionnaire is below. I look forward to analysing your responses.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScM92lYTGBCWNd5h8lLxiQyQW3LCKUZ4yq...

Post edited at 15:48
 Howard J 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Removed UserGMoll123:

Some queries/comments

By "free climbing" do you mean soloing? Free climbing usually means without aid. Most roped climbing is free climbing, in UK usage anyway.

Some questions say "tick all" but allow only one selection

The answer to one question is "Option 4"

Some slightly sloppy design, but a lot better than many we see here.

Boomer Doomer 09 Apr 2021

Done... with pleasure. I found it easy to follow, quick and straightforward. Personally, I might have structured it differently, but then climbing and why we do it is very subjective. Good luck with your studies, if you decide to redesign the form and need it doing again just give me a nudge via the UKC DM facility.

andyb211 10 Apr 2021

So the jury would like to know the following!!!!!!!

Are you who you purport to be???

Be ye George Mollard........

OR.......

Ian Holloway who likes mutual oral twice?

Confess now!!

Purple 10 Apr 2021

Another request for clarification of what you mean by 'free climbing'.

The other response options for the question suggest you understand it to be un-roped soloing which is only one type of free climbing.

The important distinction is that free climbing, be it solo or not, roped or otherwise, does not use aid.

It's crucial to understand your chosen terminology when creating a questionnaire.

deepsoup 10 Apr 2021
In reply to Purple:

> The other response options for the question suggest you understand it to be un-roped soloing which is only one type of free climbing.

I assume so too.  If George (or is it Ian?) wants to clear that up perhaps it might be worth thinking about whether scrambling fits in too, or to set a lower limit to the difficulty of what counts as a "free climb".  (Mod?  Diff?)

I had a go at the survey but gave up in the end because I didn't know quite how to respond for more 'elephant in the room' reasons - ie: that it's April 2021. 

I wasn't even sure how to approach "how often do you go climbing?"  I know how often I did, until 14 months ago (most of it was indoors the last few years tbh).  I know how often I have over the last year and a bit, taking into account three lockdowns, the travel restrictions, social distancing and the indoor walls all being closed for much of the time.  I can hazard a guess at what my climbing might look like in the future, when I can finally freely meet my climbing buddies to play again (indoors especially).  None of those seems to adequately address a general question about my climbing 'habit', which has been completely disrupted along with all my other habits and most of everybody else's for just over a year.

That was before I even got as far as looking at any questions about 'mental wellbeing'!  This too is not entirely as normal, I think it would be safe to say.

Which answers would be better for the survey George? (Ian?)  The answers as they would have been in the before-time, the answers as they stand now, or are you primarily looking for a somewhat self-selecting cohort whose habits haven't changed much over the last year in which case I'm a particularly baffled outlier and it'd probably be better for your data if I don't try to respond at all.

Martin Bennett 10 Apr 2021

I like doing these. Especially the good ones, among which I count yours. I used the comments section to comment on your terminology. Please can I know the source of the artwork at the head of the questionnaire? I like it.

climberchristy 10 Apr 2021

Happily completed this for you George/ Ian. Basically it was all fine except Q5 wich, as others has said, seems to suggest you're unsure of what 'free climbing' means. 

Good luck with your studies. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...