Roaches parking fines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 C133dnb 30 Dec 2019

Just a heads up but the wardens have been out today, stung about 150 cars outside the bays. Even the cars completely clear of the road on the embankment. 

I'd expect them to be active over the next few days aswell.

Anybody else think the lack of parking up that way is a serious problem?

Blue Straggler 30 Dec 2019
In reply to C133dnb:

Is it a lack of parking, or an overload of visitors?

Dan Arkle 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

There is ample road space to provide far more parking bays. To have it as restricted as it is unreasonable in my view. 

springfall2008 30 Dec 2019
In reply to C133dnb:

Is this on the road or part of a private car park? Normally you can't get a ticket for being parked on a grass verge as it's not part of the road and hence parking restrictions don't apply.

Tom Valentine 30 Dec 2019
In reply to springfall2008:

A grass verge is often considered to be part of the highway and where this is so the ticket will be valid.

Sam Beaton 30 Dec 2019

If there are double yellow lines you will get a legitimate ticket if you park on them or on the verge or pavement behind them

OP C133dnb 30 Dec 2019

There is some really clearly marked signs about not parking outside the bays, rec and video by the ticket was fair play. I believe it's to safeguard access for emergency services. 

The issue is more that there's probably only space for about 50 vehicles along the whole length, and nowhere further away you could realistically park and hike in.

It's extremely popular with walkers and climbers and can be quite difficult to find a space on some weekdays, but you've got absolutely no chance at the weekend usually.

There are plenty of areas they could indent and add further legitimate parking, just as Dan said.

instead they  don't do anything with it and just roll along ticketing everyone every few weeks. 

In this case there's a sign you need to be aware of: https://goo.gl/maps/vn1qimujVzeSBiZ86
The council has chosen the antagonistic and acquisitive path to managing the congestion up there.

I'd like to see more parking up there too, but I can see why traffic concerns could win the argument. It gets gridlocked at picnic time as things are. You'd need compulsory education on how single track roads work to make it viable.

Prof. Outdoors 30 Dec 2019
In reply to C133dnb:

Sad to say, fines at the Roaches is not new.

Long thread on this from 22 April this year.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rock_talk/roaches_parking_-_fines-703637?...

Signposts are in place but maybe holiday times are the time for enforcement as it could bring in more money. Park and ride was useful.

mrphilipoldham 30 Dec 2019
In reply to C133dnb:

If there's no room to park then you (not you you, but you as general) should have gotten up earlier! Illegal parking is part and parcel of the self entitled population we've grown in to. No legal, safe parking, then go somewhere else. It was a nightmare at Stanage today (first time I've ever seen it so busy! Glad I never go on weekends). Coming back past Mam Tor there were cars parked on the solid white lines outside the car parks and lay-bys, forcing families with young children to walk in the road. Too many idiots having the same idea at the same time, with no thought to originality. 

In reply to C133dnb:

I should add, the car in front of me beeped at the inappropriate dumping of a vehicle who's owner was just getting out to be thanked with a prance in the middle of the road and two middle fingers. I was genuinely speechless, beyond "f**king idiot".

Tom Valentine 30 Dec 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

If you're like me you'd like to think that all the types  who park up way outside the delineated  areas are "just day trippers" and not climbers, wouldn't you?

springfall2008 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Sam Beaton:

> If there are double yellow lines you will get a legitimate ticket if you park on them or on the verge or pavement behind them

Perhaps if there's some local bylaw, here just outside Bristol people park fully on the pavement all the time and don't get tickets from the double yellow lines which apply only to the road.

Andy Clarke 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> If you're like me you'd like to think that all the types  who park up way outside the delineated  areas are "just day trippers" and not climbers, wouldn't you?

If they didn't roll out of bed till midday, they'll be boulderers.

Double yellow lines apply property line to property line, including all roads, pavements and verges and whatever else may be in between. I know this well, having fallen foul to it in Liverpool. The only one of three parking tickets which I haven’t successfully overturned. The other two were incorrectly issued and I had been legally parked. Took the threat of a tribunal hearing for them to admit it, mind..

Monk 30 Dec 2019

> Is it a lack of parking, or an overload of visitors?

Definitely a lack off parking at the roaches. It's really limited and there simply aren't any viable public transport options. 

Jon Read 30 Dec 2019
In reply to Monk:

This is the real problem. There used to be a park and ride scheme running from Tittesworth reservoir, but this stopped long ago, and didnt run until late. Wouldnt it be great for everyone if one ran from Leek? More  money might even be spent there ...

OP C133dnb 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

If the park and ride still run I'd happily use it, as I'm sure others would.

There is a bus from leek but it only runs a few times a day so it's not really useful for the walking or climbing traffic that exists up there. 

OP C133dnb 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Whilst I am personally a boulderer due to lack of consistent partners, I would have been up there for 9 today had the conditions seemed worth it. 

Went up yesterday lunchtime for a walk with some non climbers because I wanted to check the rock conditions to see wether it was going to be to wet to climb on today or not. 

Andy Clarke 31 Dec 2019
In reply to C133dnb:

I'm a keen boulderer as well as climber myself. It was a throwaway joke - but I haven't worked out where my smileys are. I too would have been early - no chance of a lie-in when your bladder gets to a certain age... 

OP C133dnb 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Andy Clarke:

My issue is trying to encourage the non climbing family tag-alongs that it is really really vital to get in the car at 8 because it'll be colder and a more productive day. They rarely share my enthusiasm for an early start

Blue Straggler 31 Dec 2019

> If you're like me you'd like to think that all the types  who park up way outside the delineated  areas are "just day trippers" and not climbers, wouldn't you?

Are you being sarcastic, or are you truly deluded, or am I missing a subtle joke?

Climbers can be just as inconsiderate (in all sorts of walks of life, parking being one of them) as non-climbers, Tom, and I am sure you do know this. They are also often "day trippers". 

I am guessing that I am missing a joke or subtle sarcasm, in your post. 

Post edited at 10:19
Deadeye 31 Dec 2019
In reply to C133dnb:

Crikey!

Has everyone forgotten how to walk?

Look at a map.  Within two miles there's oodles of places.

Tom Valentine 31 Dec 2019

I "would like " to think it, is what I said. But I don't.

Blue Straggler 31 Dec 2019

> I "would like " to think it, is what I said. But I don't.

I did read that correctly, but it is a slightly ambiguous term or phrase, hence requesting some clarification. Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...