'Reset Portion of Galley 37' (The Roaches)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kmsands 16 May 2023

Help assuage my need for pointless climbing trivia. Does anyone know how this route got its name?

My theory has to be that it's a printer error (or deliberate literal misreading of a badly-marked proof), the first time it appeared in a guidebook. And then people found that funny, the name stuck,  and whatever name the FA gave it was lost?

In reply to kmsands:

It’s something along those lines; I think it was climbed and/or named during guidebook production by the editor/crag writer/their mates. Maybe the very old brown guide? Someone will know the story better.

jcm

mikej 16 May 2023
In reply to kmsands:

The first full description of this route appeared on page 23 of the 1961 Recent Developments On Peakland Gritstone booklet. The description refers to the location of this route being obvious due to a printing error in the 1957 Vol. 4 Further Developments in the Peak District guide book. On page 185 of the 1957 guide book Reset Portion of Galley Thirty Severn appears as a route name, but without any route description. Modern Peak District guide books suggest a first ascent date of 1958.

OP kmsands 16 May 2023
In reply to mikej:

Thanks both! So if I've got this right, the printer's error (adding a proofreader's instruction to page) was in the 1957 book before the route existed: then the new route was named after the printer error, which just happened to be in the right place. Nice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...