Research: The Mental Health Benefits of Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi everyone, 

Hopefully this is an acceptable place to post this. If not, please do let me know or just take it down! 

I'm conducting a piece of research with BPP University around the mental health benefits of rock climbing, specifically looking at whether climbing provides benefits to individuals with depression and whether there is anything unique to the sport which position it above other forms of physical activity in the benefits it provides. The first part of the study is a short (roughly 10 -15 minutes) questionnaire that seeks to gain some initial information about your climbing experience, history of depression and your views regarding the benefits of physical activity. Responses from the questionnaire will be used to support/challenge subsequent findings from in-depth interviews on the topic.

If you or anyone you know would like to contribute to the research project, the questionnaire can be completed by clicking the following link: https://research.sc/participant/login/dynamic/9FED2FF0-5CC1-4E63-BE09-D0F0B...

The only requirement is that you're aged 18+. Any information you provide will be completely anonymous. For more information on the research project or to volunteer to take part in the interviews, please feel free to contact the lead researcher c.lockley@my.bpp.com

I really do appreciate you taking the time to read this and I hope you're all well and coping with lockdown 3.0. 

Thanks!

AlanLittle 15 Jan 2021
In reply to ChristopherLockley:

> I hope you're all well and coping with lockdown 3.0

Quite. I'd be mentally healthier if I could climb. Or see my friends. Or go anywhere or do anything, in fact.

JRJG 15 Jan 2021

The only improvement/ change I would ask is for a wider options of grade choice.

other than that a very simple questionnaire. 

Best of luck 

JRJG

climberchristy 15 Jan 2021

Hi. You really need to change the options for "highest grade achieved": having only a font grade is largely meaningless if, like me, you do very little bouldering and do predominantly trad leading. 

In reply to AlanLittle:

I know, right. 3.0 seems to be the worst of them yet. I'll be briefly looking at the impact of the government's guidelines RE exercise in the interviews. For now, stick in there. All the best.

In reply to climberchristy:

Thanks for your feedback. I'll get that altered today. For anyone with similar concerns while the old link remains up, feel free to write the grade in the appropriate format. 

Bone Idle 15 Jan 2021

Done.

I'd just like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has already completed the questionnaire. The responses, particularly those on the open-ended question, have been amazing. 

TomPearce63 15 Jan 2021

In general the questionnaire was good. However, like other people have been saying, it would be made better with a other grade options. E.g. Trad climbing, Sport

(Not criticising, just pointing it out) 

But good luck anyways, hope it all goes well.

Alkis 15 Jan 2021

Done!

In reply to TomPearce63:

You're absolutely right, it was a mistake on my part. Unfortunately I can't alter the wording even slightly without having to generate a new link - and because it's been sent around a fair bit and there's a lot of live participants, changing the link would result in a loss of data! Thanks for completing it anyway. 

Derry 15 Jan 2021

good one. A decent questionnaire for once. 2021 is already looking better!

Iamgregp 15 Jan 2021

Done!  Best of luck with your research!

climberchristy 15 Jan 2021

Done! I've just written alternative grades in the box. Good luck with the research. 

George_Surf 15 Jan 2021

I’d just write what grade you climbing e1 or F6a or f6b and the OP can convert/use as they wish. Some data is better than no data I’d have thought 

abr1966 15 Jan 2021

Completed...Good luck. Just 2 comments..

First, would be better with UK grading system and secondly to add winter climbing to the list!

Very disappointing. Like a lot of people, I only complete these surveys in the hope that they are shit so that I can tell you how to do it better. Well done. 

In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Appreciate it! I was worried when I read the first couple of words....

Doug 16 Jan 2021

As said, one of the better questionaires posted here. One point, at least from my experience, is that climbing helps with mild depression but when I was very depressed & on antideppressants I just couldn't climb. It was a long time ago & I can't really remember why - friends would drag me along to the local cliffs but even when I tried to 2nd easy routes I'd previously soloed I just didn't have any coordination, balance or confidence. But being outdoors with friends was probably helpful even if I didn't really climb

In reply to Doug:

Thanks for completing the questionnaire! These are the kinds of insights we're looking for, so thank you. If you're interested in sharing more of your experience, please feel free to register interest in the interviews by emailing c.lockley@my.bpp.com. Absolutely no pressure to do so, completing the questionnaire is greatly appreciated. 

To everyone else, I once again just want to extend a huge thanks to you for taking part. The response from the UKC community has been outstanding. It would be great to get more responses from people who predominantly boulder, though not sure if i'm best reaching out elsewhere (UKB, perhaps?) 

Just a quick note to provide some additional guidance ... As many have mentioned in the comments, the question regarding highest achieved grade is not appropriate to non-boulderers! If this applies to you, please just write your highest grade in the appropriate grading system. 

Additionally, there's a good number of "live" participants, i.e., people that have started the questionnaire but haven't submitted it. While I'm sure a number of these are people that haven't completed the questionnaire for whatever reason, I just want to point out that when you're presented with the page that says "Thank you", your responses are not logged until you click next. It's a little misleading, so I apologise for that. I would probably exit the browser at that point, so thought it was worth a note just in case you're like me! 

Thanks again, everyone. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...