Ratho Quarry rockfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fuzzysheep01 15 Apr 2019

Was at Ratho Quarry today and noticed a massive and very recent rockfall at the right end of the East Wall (a staff member said it happened last week). An entire section of crag has collapsed with numerous car size blocks below and what looks like a lot of unstable rock remaining. I'm not familiar with the routes in that section, so couldn't say which routes have been affected, but it's in the vicinity of Beanpud, Rock A Boogie etc. Apologies if this has already been posted.

DannyC 15 Apr 2019
In reply to fuzzysheep01:

Aw no.  It'd be a great shame if Beanpud, Rock-a-Boogie or Rebel Without Claws were affected.  They were all very worthwhile, among that section of not-very-inspiring rock. Anyone seen it?

D. 

Removed User 15 Apr 2019

When I saw the thread title I assumed that the Sedgewarbler wall had gone, or maybe the Shear Fear flake. Surprised that bit has gone.

What's the remaining rock like? Any potential for new lines 😊?

OP fuzzysheep01 15 Apr 2019
In reply to Removed User:

Haha yup there's an imacculate looking choss groove with a capping roof of perched choss- guess it might stay dry in the rain?!

Yeah I'm not sure which routes are affected - it's towards the left end of that wee section of crag, on one of the taller bits of it. Would need to have a look at a topo to be able to work it out properly.

Violinist 16 Apr 2019

Photos below from this afternoon. Anyone able to shed light on what’s gone so we can update the logbook?

https://imgur.com/a/AydXn74

Violinist 16 Apr 2019

N.B. In the photo link, the blocks in the bottom of the pod weren’t there yesterday when we were there - they’re fresh from today. You can see at the top where that tree is the turf is gradually giving way. An area to avoid for now. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...