Queersville flake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NIGBEE 14 Jul 2019

Does anyone know when the flake broke on the crux of Queersville?

brianjcooper 14 Jul 2019
In reply to NIGBEE:

> Does anyone know when the flake broke on the crux of Queersville?

Not much help. But it was there 25 years ago and I too noticed it had broken off when I did it again in Oct 2015. Sadly, I think it's been missing for quite a number of years.

IMO the crux is the delicate leftward traverse from the top of the rib at the bottom.  lots of ground fall potential even with an attentive belayer.

In reply to NIGBEE:

The tip of the flake was already missing in summer of 96 when I first got to grips with the route. No further breakage when I last climbed it in 2018. Has it been recently damaged further? 

OP NIGBEE 15 Jul 2019
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

No further damage that I know, climbed it Sunday and couldn't remember if the flake was broken last time I climbed it but from the responses it almost definitely was. Agree that the bottom feels more nervy than the top 

In reply to NIGBEE:

The bottom is the crux, surely? It's not just 'more nervy', it's harder and more delicate, as buxtoncoffeelover says above.

Michael Hood 16 Jul 2019
In reply to NIGBEE:

Top of the flake broke decades ago, made the move slightly harder but still 5a.

Bottom of the flake has worn massively, probably due to wear from cams. It used to take a solid hex. Now a hex pulls through unless incredibly well placed (and this was many years ago so it'll be even worse now) so cams are used and the wear accelerates.

This is a problem on a lot of grit but I can't see any easy solution since we all want the best protection we can get

brianjcooper 16 Jul 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

I never could understand why the flake was used for protection when there is an excellent deep horizontal break below it. I won't spoil with beta it's current state, but you used to be able to 'bury' all your fingers behind it. Very reassuring.  

Michael Hood 16 Jul 2019
In reply to brianjcooper:

Just to avoid any confusion...

I think your "deep horizontal break" is my "bottom of the flake".

I didn't mean the diagonal right hand side of the flake, which although you could presumably get gear in, as you effectively say, why would you bother.

john arran 16 Jul 2019
In reply to brianjcooper:

I distinctly remember "burying" all my fingers behind it when soloing many years ago, but then pulling on only my fingertips deep within the flake so as not to risk it breaking off. Seems like such a cautious approach was justified!

brianjcooper 16 Jul 2019
In reply to john arran:

Hi. John.

'Burying' was my thought too. It's top of my grade so I won't be soloing it in a hurry. It also happens to be my UKC profile picture. I always wonder how it broke.

Dave Garnett 16 Jul 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> The bottom is the crux, surely? It's not just 'more nervy', it's harder and more delicate, as buxtoncoffeelover says above.

The crux is reaching the good holds under the overhang, having completed the traverse to the ledge!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...