Petzl helmet buckles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Root1 13 Jan 2020

I have a Petzl Sirocco and have had multiple problems with the magnetic buckle. 

firstly the damn thing can spontaneously unclip itself midclimb due to dust on the magnets. Twice I have had to retrieve it from the case of a climb, as well as it just springing apart mid route. The buckle is fragile and easily broken. I am currently on my third replacement.

Why have Petzl not addressed this problem.

Anyone got a diy fix for this?

Post edited at 11:17
 Mr Lopez 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Root1:

Keep it always clipped when not in use and run the buckle through the gaps in the foam so that it sits flush in the crown inside the helmet rather than flopping outside being smashed and stepped on.

Edit: Or replace it with a normal buckle which is what a friend did

Post edited at 11:21
 tehmarks 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Root1:

They're a stupid, gimmicky nightmare. Though, if it's spontanenously unclipping itself it may well be because it wasn't correctly clipped to begin with. The magnet can facilitate holding the buckle together, misaligned and only half clipped. I have that problem all the time, but I've never had it unclip itself from fully clipped before.

Apologies if you're already aware.

gravy 13 Jan 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

I really like the magnetic buckle - I have broken one (actually a feral child broke it) but petzl simply replaced it.  Never had one undone when and it shouldn't and works with one hand super well. Never had a problem with dirt blocking it.

Robert Durran 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Root1:

> Firstly the damn thing can spontaneously unclip itself midclimb due to dust on the magnets.

Don't the magnets simply help guide it into place rather than actually hold it together?

tjin 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Too much junk of the magnet causes it to not clip properly. 

Just do two things:

- Keep the magnet clean

- Clip and give it a tuck to confirm. 

OP Root1 14 Jan 2020
In reply to tjin:

> Too much junk of the magnet causes it to not clip properly. 

> Just do two things:

> - Keep the magnet clean

> - Clip and give it a tuck to confirm. 

Clip tug snap! Twice thats happened!

OP Root1 14 Jan 2020

> Don't the magnets simply help guide it into place rather than actually hold it together?

Yes the magnets just aid clipping the thing together, but if they get dirty then problems arise. I have better things to do than regularly polishing magnets!

Howard J 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Root1:

I find the problem is that the magnet can disguise that the buckle isn't clipped properly, but that usually becomes apparent very quickly.  Provided it has been properly clipped I've not then had a problem.

HeMa 14 Jan 2020

> Don't the magnets simply help guide it into place rather than actually hold it together?

yes and no.

As per Petzl instruction the magnets should also close it (so guide plus close), but the actual buckle keeps it closed. Fine idea, but then the closing mechanism needs to be so delicate, that if you close it by your self, there is a risk of breaking it... I know as my wife has managed to break 2 (Petzl always provided the spares, but I recall it was a major PITA to swap).

And when you add some magnetic grit to the mix, then it won't close, so you try to close it yer self -> buckle broken.

Imho nice idea, but bad execution... Still, my orig. Sirocco is going strong after quite a few years (still using the original buckle).

So keep it clean, and don't fiddle it (let the magnet close the latch).

Baz P 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Root1:

The two magnets don't actually connect, they remain about 2 mm apart so would need quite a bit of dirt in there to cause a problem.

If they do cause a problem, which mine don't, then just remove one of the magnets and treat it like a normal buckle.

james1978 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Root1:

Just ensure that the magnetic buckle is always done up. Either on your head, or when you take it off ensure to snap it closed before putting away in your bag or wherever...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...