Petzl connect/adjust buckle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 10 Mar 2019

Hi, I'm posting this here rather than in gear/wanted as it is a bit of a strange one.

I'm looking for the cam buckle from a Petzl connect adjust. I just need the cam, and in any condition, not the cord, hence I'm rather loathe to buy a new full rig. It is for an experiment on adjustable fifis.

Thanks

Giles Davis 10 Mar 2019
In reply to David Coley:

You can buy a Kong Slyde from Decathlon if that’s the bit you’re after?  About £6

OP David Coley 10 Mar 2019
In reply to Giles Davis:

Thanks Giles, I've not used the Slide, but I'm guessing it might not be as smooth or adjustable under a slight load, which if one is going to use it 1000 times on a route might make a big difference.

gravy 10 Mar 2019

Forget it if you think you're going to get a smooth adjustment or adjustment under load.  Doesn't work that way in practice.

Rick Graham 10 Mar 2019
In reply to David Coley:

Try using a spare guide plate.

If you use a smaller diameter cord/rope  it will slide easier but still hold your body weight.

OP David Coley 11 Mar 2019
In reply to Rick Graham:

Interesting idea 

OP David Coley 11 Mar 2019
In reply to gravy:

I've used the full rig as a pair of adjustable daisies, and they seem to work well, and release just about OK when under aid climbing loads.

Now I'm trying to build an adjustable fifi that terminates in a krab, not hook

Rick Graham 11 Mar 2019
In reply to David Coley:

Back in the day, when aid climbing, just used two cows tails (with krabs) of strategic length, can't remember any issues with this system.

The old Whillans used to be better than a sit harness for comfort but more crucially reach, it had a lower cows tail attachment point.

This could be made even more effective for very long reaches by putting a short cows tail directly onto the sit strap between your legs. It meant you could reach even further than your vertical ape span.

Back on the adjustable cows tail, if the spare belay plate is a bit cumbersome , you could try making a "buckle" from two rings or chain links.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...