Pembroke local knowledge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cake 08 Aug 2019

Hi,

After another thread about the weather this weekend, I'm after advice about Pembroke in high winds on Saturday. The met office says Westerly up to 30mph. Would you say it is definitely a bad idea to climb at St Govan's East. Will half the route be wet or something? Low tide is at 10:45 am I think.

I've never been to Pembrokeshire before, but I've been to Gogarth a few times.

John2 08 Aug 2019
In reply to Cake:

The forecast for Saturday is light rain. Maybe that won't materialise, but it is raining at the moment. If there is a strong wind from the west then St Govan's East is as sheltered as you will find.

OP Cake 08 Aug 2019
In reply to John2:

Thanks a lot.  The whole country seems to be wet on Saturday with Pembroke possibly the driest place. I'll keep looking at the forecast

nikoid 08 Aug 2019
In reply to Cake:

I think your problem will be spray blowing in as a result of the combination of swells caused by the low pressure system and high winds. Saturday looks like it is  going to be quite unpleasant in my book.

OP Cake 08 Aug 2019
In reply to nikoid:

Thanks. That's really useful

Graeme Hammond 08 Aug 2019
In reply to Cake:

showers forecast throughout the morning along with the high winds following on from plenty of rain Friday day/night. I wouldn't be looking at abseil approach venues until at least the afternoon once the weather has possibly become more settled.

Your tide time is completely wrong too, see below.  Although most of St Govan's East is non tidal it may not be in the heavy high midday seas. As mentioned above I have seen spray going over the tops of the cliffs there on windy days before, we managed on that occasion to climb at Triple Overhang, but it was a dry day.

https://www.climbers-club.co.uk/tide-tables-pre-2020/

10-Aug low is 07:42 GMT & 20:24 with high at 14:00 GMT - so pretty rubbish

Probably best if you must climb to try and go to places high above the sea as possible with an walk or easy scrambling descents/escape routes and be prepared to be disappointed.

kevin stephens 08 Aug 2019
In reply to Cake:

Tides are neaps this weekend so not such a big tidal range. However as others have said the swell will be massive, having had all  Friday to build up, maybe enough to swamp the tidal platform at the bottom of the crag.  Although the crag will be sheltered from wind, gale force winds on top may make rope handling problematic and belaying unpleasant, not to mention risk of gear and people being blown over the edge. XC weather for Tenby shows winds 30mph gusting to 46mph! St Govan's East is not a bad crag, quite limited choice of routes at a given grade.  it wouldn't be my choice for a first visit to Pembroke.  If you are set on going then Huntsman's Leap would also be sheltered on the climbs but not on top

Post edited at 23:34
 Ramon Marin 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Cake:

it will be suboptimal, but you might get away at st govans east. the strong wind might help blow whatever rain over the cliffs. Tho even if it's a neap, it will be a bit greasy from the spray

kevin stephens 09 Aug 2019
In reply to kevin stephens:

On Saturday the swell at Tenby is forecast to be 4.6m high

https://magicseaweed.com/Tenby-South-Beach-Surf-Report/33/

which is rather worse than suboptimal

nikoid 09 Aug 2019

Yes the more I look at this, I'm thinking the weather on Sat couldn't look much worse for August!

Ramon Marin 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Cake:

I looked at the forecast again and I think you might actually get away with it at St Govans east, that swell will be blown around the st govans head. There will be spray, but you should be able to do routes like forbidden fruits, adams rib, first blood... In the leap will be sheltered, I dont think the rain it's getting now will be enough to seep. Bloody sunday should be ok, maybe wet patches at the bottom. Same for beast of undergrowth. I reckon mysteries at stennis should be ok too I reckon. I think if you do your homework and pick the right crags you'll climb plenty.

In reply to Cake:

Try Stackpole East. It will be sheltered from the winds and you can climb from the half height ledge if the sea is too big. 

In reply to Presley Whippet:

Alternatively, zip up your anorak and climb the upper pitches of the easier routes out on the heads and enjoy the conditions. 

PaulTclimbing 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Cake:

....the sight of a stormy sea at Stennis head could be very interesting ... well worth taking a camera for a few photos...just don't go for 'Riders...'

kevin stephens 10 Aug 2019

Magic seaweed has the current swell at Manorbier as 5.9m, windspeed 74km/hr

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...