Peak 7a’s this autumn/winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Haworth 08 Oct 2020

Looking for suggestions of peak crags for this autumn that have some 7a’s to try repointing. Ideally sheltered, catch any sun, quick drying, doesn’t suffer from seepage, not total choss.

JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 08 Oct 2020
In reply to Martin Haworth:

Have a look at deep rake - Reliquary (7a+), Smalldale main wall - Can Boys (7a), hidden quarry Aperta (7a) bend tor - Red Shoes at the Drugstore (7a)

In reply to JamieSparkes: Thank you for the suggestions. Do you know if there are any access issues with a Deep Rake, seem to recall some issues being mentioned. Will try hidden quarry. Small dale and Bend Tor probably too cold!

Graeme Hammond 08 Oct 2020

Demolition Man (7a) @ Horseshoe Quarry could be a good bet as the main wall doesn't seep much and catches the sun. There are some other 7s on the main wall I've not tired that could be good, including the direct finish to Rain Dance (6c) but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. 

AlanLittle 08 Oct 2020

Can't Climb, Won't Climb (7a) is south facing & has good rock quality (unlike much of the rest of the crag). It's also very much bottom end of the grade, although could be made less so depending on how rigorously you stick to the line of the bolts.

In reply to AlanLittle: Good suggestion, however I’ve already done Can't Climb, Won't Climb (7a), I quite like Stoney West.

In reply to Graeme Hammond: Horseshoe is definitely an option. Only downsides are it gets busy and it catches the westerly wind so can feel cold.

Cake 08 Oct 2020

Does it get busy in the winter? I doubt the 7s get busy.

I've done Poisonality there and there are a few others there that get stars. I imagine a Northerly wind could be pleasant

In reply to Cake:

I suspect it will be busier this year than in a normal year, but I suppose it is a big place.

Mowglee 08 Oct 2020

The half dozen good routes at Hidden really are worth a couple of trips - Apeta, couple of 6c+s, 6b+, 7a+. Ignore all the choss on the lower tier and over to the right though...

Philb1950 08 Oct 2020

Read the guidebooks.

Misha 08 Oct 2020

Went to Deep Rake about a month ago. Seemed no issues with parking at an obvious parking area towards the end of the approach lane. A 10 min walk from there. Pretty decent for a Peak quarry and the grades seemed soft compared to the likes of Chee Dale (which isn't saying much...).

In reply to Mowglee:

Thanks, I’ll certainly give the place a try.

In reply to Philb1950:

Fair comment. I have all the guidebooks, it’s just sometimes worth getting a bit of extra insight from people to make sure I’m not missing something obvious.

In reply to Misha:

Thanks, I’ll give the place a try at some point this autumn.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...