Oldpits quarry (hayfield/kinder) any beta ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marktrik 06 Dec 2019

Thinking about taking a look and climb at Oldpits quarry (hayfield/kinder area) just wanted so more info on it. I've got and read 'over the moors' and it looks interesting.... 

Advice please.

Coel Hellier 06 Dec 2019
In reply to marktrik:

There's some worthwhile routes, but many of them are not fully solid, so take care. 

MischaHY 06 Dec 2019
In reply to marktrik:

It's decent. I had a fun time on Scorched Earth (E4 6b) a few years back. I love 'Over the Moors', pretty much a guide of how to climb alone and in beautiful places. 

Coel Hellier 06 Dec 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

> I had a fun time on Scorched Earth (E4 6b) a few years back.

Is it a ludicrous dyno?     Our team (with me on the blunt end) couldn't get near it. 

MischaHY 06 Dec 2019
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Gosh, now you ask. It was around 2013 so you'll have to excuse vagueness, but I seem to remember placing a no.3 friend in the big slot and then getting hugely bunched up and faffing a lot. Upon further inspection there was some kind of rather crap gaston crimp and then a longer move to better holds. I think the confusing part as well was that it actually went a little sideways but that wasn't readily apparent from below. 

Now that I think about it we also did an E2 and E1 to the right, both of which were excellent, but I couldn't tell you the names. 

mark20 06 Dec 2019

Had a walk up there on a wet day a few weeks ago. There has been quite a large rockfall on the right hand side of the crag, possibly around Wristsnaappers Lament 

In reply to marktrik:

It's a very interesting crag with a few excellent lines, "Scorched Earth" being one of the best. That would be plastered with chalk if it were at Millstone, and it's as good as anything at that crag. It has the best view of any quarry in the area and is pretty peaceful. The floor can get quite boggy after rain, especially around the central boulder. After the rain we've had recently there could be a bit of seepage going on so I would wait for a few days of dry weather. It faces mostly east so bear that in mind. It's worth popping in just for a looksee.

OP marktrik 07 Dec 2019
In reply to marktrik:

Thanks forall the info, sounds like it's worth a look at, at least.  Living close by makes it easy for me. 

What' it like topping out, I mean us it grassy and lose at the top like some quarries. Also, is the much to set up anchors on at the top, 'over the moors' did mention a tree above 'one for sleepy minds'.

OP marktrik 07 Dec 2019
In reply to mark20:

Has the rock fall affected any of the routes ?

In reply to marktrik: I’m not far away in Chinley if you fancy meeting up there one day next week or whenever. I’d be interested to see the rockfall too.

OP marktrik 17 Dec 2019
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Took a trip up there today to have a look around. The rock fall is quite significant and I'd say it's taken out Wristsnapper's Lament and Missing, Presumed Grey. There are also some loose rocks sat on a newly formed ledge about three quarters way up where these routes where.....

Access seemed to be over and barred wire fence, heading back from the top of the resviour wall.  

maybe_si 17 Dec 2019
In reply to marktrik:

That's interesting, I have lived in Hayfield for 3yrs and have never heard of it!  I'm well up for at least having a look...! 

OP marktrik 18 Dec 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

It's well worth a walk up there, if only for the views.

We walked up to the top of the dam wall then took the faint, unofficial I think, path almost going back on your self. However, we  did have to climb over a fence. On returning we walked straight up to the top of the hill. There's some boulders up there that are woth looking at.

Enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...