Old man of Storr (Skye)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 29 Apr 2019

I thought this got quite a few ascents, but seems to only have one logged on the E2 route. Is this up to date? Or am I just mixing it up with the other Storr up North? 

Seems there are just 3 routes E2-4, and it's not in my copy of Scottish rock by Garry latter. 

Do people just walk to see it?  The Storr

BnB 29 Apr 2019
In reply to CharlieMack:

The Skye Old Man is both the most magnificent blade of rock in these isles and the most chossy. Dave MacLeod declared "I found not a single trustworthy runner on the entire thing and more or less every hold was quite freely detachable".

Good luck.

Post edited at 17:43
 Carless 29 Apr 2019
In reply to CharlieMack:

Having done a new route on it (no, I didn't lead it) I can agree that it's certainly a special sort of rock (only one I've ever been able to crush in my hand). I distinctly remember a belay on a collapsing thread.

It's certainly well worth to stroll to see it and take your gear in case you get inspired

Post edited at 17:48
 Martin W 29 Apr 2019
In reply to CharlieMack:

Getting it confused with this one?

Old Man of Stoer

Cog 29 Apr 2019
In reply to CharlieMack:

> Seems there are just 3 routes E2-4, and it's not in my copy of Scottish rock by Garry latter. 

In the 2012 guidebook there are two E4s and an E5.

'The rock is continuously rotten.' 

OP CharlieMack 29 Apr 2019
In reply to BnB:

Thanks. Looks like I won't be climbing it then. Just go for a look. Planning to do the ridge the day before, so not super keen for loose death choss!

Mehmet Karatay 30 Apr 2019
In reply to CharlieMack:

If you continue along the Trotternish peninsula, after you've had a look at the old man, there some excellent crags to explore:

Kilt Rock, Staffin
  Flodigarry
  Rubha Hunish (I've never been here, but it looks nice)
  Staffin Slips (I've not been here either, but again it looks nice)

There are more crags on Trotternish and if you have the time to travel elsewhere  Neist is excellent. 

Have a good trip,
Mehmet

Post edited at 12:13
 mal_meech 30 Apr 2019
In reply to CharlieMack:

> If you continue along the Trotternish peninsula, after you've had a look at the old man, there some excellent crags to explore:

I'll second this.

Kilt rock has one of the best E1's in the country in spectacular position, and even some classic jamming on some of the harder routes if you're suffering withdrawal.

PaulJepson 30 Apr 2019
In reply to CharlieMack:

I'm sure someone described it as like climbing a pile of coal. 

If you have a spare day and haven't done the Clach Glas - Blaven traverse, I'd recommend that. Another big tick (with less mileage) than the main ridge. 

Grahame N 30 Apr 2019
In reply to CharlieMack:

A little point of interest - you'll have heard of the Munros and Corbetts, but there is a less well known list of hills called the Dodds - peaks between 500 and 600m with a 30m drop all round (there are 1,339 of them). The Old Man of Storr is a Dodd! Unsurprisingly no-one has yet compleated the Dodds.

Simon Caldwell 01 May 2019
In reply to Grahame N:

I bet Rob Woodall is pretty close!

Iain Thow 02 May 2019
In reply to Grahame N:

Also in the Dodds list are two other nearby tottering towers, Needle Rock, given E1, reputedly climbed by Patey and Bonington (although Patey's account implies they didn't actually reach the top) and Coire Faoin Stack (no recorded ascent, I've been to the notch about 20 feet below the top and it didn't look totally desperate above, just made of biscuit, 5a maybe?)

Iain Thow 02 May 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

81% according to Haroldstreet, but Ken Whyte has only three left. I suspect I know which three!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...