Not exactly ethical bolting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Blanche DuBois 14 Apr 2021

Oh dear

https://www.climbing.com/news/climber-bolts-5-3-over-1000-year-old-petrogly...

Wonder what the UK equivalent would be.  Glue-ins on the Cenotaph, tick marks on Stonehenge?  At least they were found (and removed) by a climber.

Lankyman 14 Apr 2021
In reply to Blanche DuBois:

It's so sad that the bolters have so little regard for anything beyond their own narrow wants. Years ago I was hitching through Utah and got a lift from a keen hiker. When he realised I was genuine he drove us to see some pictographs in a fairly obscure canyon. Although they were quite close to a passable dirt track they were to all intents and purposes pristine. Some years later I returned and found that a large perspex sheet had been bolted over the rock to protect the panel. What an indictment of some people's lack of decency this is. Sadly, this thuggish attitude is all too obvious as covid restrictions are relaxed and the onslaught on our countryside gathers momentum.

NorthernGrit 14 Apr 2021

I'm intrigued by the slightly throw away comment...

“What’s really significant about this panel is there was not one bullet hole in it,” said Reay. “Not one cowboy’s initials on it. It had been 100% unmolested because you had to climb up thirty or so feet of 5.3 terrain to get to it..."

At least it reassures us lack of respect is not simply a modern problem. Very sad though.

Lankyman 14 Apr 2021
In reply to NorthernGrit:

When I was in Wyoming I came across a thing called Newspaper Rock (I think?). On it were the names of many of the original white pioneers who'd walked/driven through on the way to Oregon or California. That was a preserved monument. At a ranger talk in Arches NP he was speaking about pictographs and 'old' graffiti. I asked him how old something had to be to be considered worth preserving and of historical interest. I can't remember his answer now but it seemed remarkably recent. Like within living memory recent.

ashtond6 15 Apr 2021

This was done by accident and removed accordingly, see posts of the USA forums.

It was being dealt with locally & in a sensitive way. 

The subsequent oversharing of the incident online (mostly through the reports in Rock & Ice/Climbing.com) have led to much more potentially serious repercussions since the BLM are now involved & bans are being discussed.

Arms Cliff 15 Apr 2021
In reply to ashtond6:

> This was done by accident and removed accordingly, see posts of the USA forums.

Seems like you’d have to be clinically blind to to this by accident! 

Lankyman 15 Apr 2021
In reply to ashtond6:

> This was done by accident and removed accordingly 

'My @rse!' to quote R. Tomlinson

> It was being dealt with locally & in a sensitive way. 

Hopefully by 'educating' the perpetrators in a punishingly financial way

> The subsequent oversharing of the incident online (mostly through the reports in Rock & Ice/Climbing.com) have led to much more potentially serious repercussions since the BLM are now involved & bans are being discussed

'Oversharing'?!! I hope the perpetrators well and truly get stuffed and the message goes out loud, clear and from sea to shining sea that trashing of precious cultural heritage won't be tolerated.

ashtond6 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Arms Cliff:

maybe my point wasn't clear

1. if its a witch hunt to help people learn then this is pointless as the guy has been identified and apologised

2. if this is to maintain access then this is also pointless as the witch hunt has led to authorities being informed, putting access at risk

Lankyman 15 Apr 2021
In reply to cambromo:

Before I even set foot in America I knew about pictographs and Native American culture. This bloke lives there and claims ignorance? Throw the book at him.

Bob Kemp 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

It’s an interesting question, so I had a look and found an article considering the issue. It has some good examples plus a detailed look at some 1st WW graffiti on a monument at Shugborough Hall in Staffordshire, and the stories behind the names.
http://audiotrails.co.uk/when-does-graffiti-become-heritage/

timjones 15 Apr 2021
In reply to ashtond6:

> maybe my point wasn't clear

> 1. if its a witch hunt to help people learn then this is pointless as the guy has been identified and apologised

> 2. if this is to maintain access then this is also pointless as the witch hunt has led to authorities being informed, putting access at risk

If one person can be woefully ignorant enough to do this by accident then so can others and there is a strong case for publicity to inform others.

steveriley 15 Apr 2021
In reply to ashtond6:

I get your point entirely. Some things are better dealt with offline without an internet pile on. Dealing with things carefully and sensitively offline is not the same as covering them up. 

We all love a good debate (guilty as charged) but I can think of a couple of examples in the UK where internet noise has hindered rather than helped.

Arms Cliff 15 Apr 2021
In reply to ashtond6:

> maybe my point wasn't clear

> 2. if this is to maintain access then this is also pointless as the witch hunt has led to authorities being informed, putting access at risk

sounds like the guy who did it drove down and spoke to a park ranger, so assume BLM could have found out that way, rather than reading the internet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...