No more heroes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 08 Dec 2019

Is it just me or has there been a marked drop in hard trad sends? Did the hard trad climbers all hang up their boots or switch to sport or something? Or is it just that these sends don't get reported on UKC?

I swear there used to be a lot more articles about E7, 8, 9, 10 sends and it just feels like I've not seen anything from anyone other than Dave Mac for ages now.

Alex1 08 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

There you go:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2019/11/magic_line_-_8c+_trad_by_hazel_find...

Just not in the UK so it doesn't get an E grade.  Plus when the cutting edge is 8c+ or harder not sure that E7 repeats are exactly news worthy...

In reply to henwardian:

In relation to your title, just who was the great O'Meera?

T.

Baron Weasel 08 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

I was at Ilkley last weekend and it looked like trad in general has fallen out of fashion in Yorkshire. 20 years ago everything up to e3 would be chalked in the quarry. Last weekend apart from some boulder problems there was a distinct absence of chalk and when we got chatting to some locals they said the same and that occasionally they cleaned up a route, but there was not enough traffic to keep them clean. 

OP henwardian 08 Dec 2019
In reply to AlanLittle:

Still seems a bit slim. I mean that's like 1 article from 2019 and it's going to be 2020 pretty shortly. I'm not saying there is nothing at all, just seems to be so little.

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

A great... Er... Man?

In reply to Alex1:

Yeah, I remember reading that, definitely an incredible send. I didn't say in the op but I was really thinking of UK climbing but even if you expand it to international climbing, for every cobra crack repeat or Indian creek hard send, it seems like there are 10 articles about sport and another 10 about bouldering.

I'd still enjoy reading about new E7s and E7 flashes and onsights, but maybe that's just me and my backwards trad ways 😅

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Dec 2019
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> I was at Ilkley last weekend and it looked like trad in general has fallen out of fashion in Yorkshire. 20 years ago everything up to e3 would be chalked in the quarry. Last weekend apart from some boulder problems there was a distinct absence of chalk and when we got chatting to some locals they said the same and that occasionally they cleaned up a route, but there was not enough traffic to keep them clean. 

Might be something to do with it being December?

Chris

In reply to Baron Weasel:

Cricket. I didn't realise it had gotten that unpopular. It's always been the case in Scotland that lots of nice lines get reclaimed by nature because of the ratio of people to rock but England has 10 times the people and, what, 1% of the rock? I always thought everything except some really obscure stuff would get plenty of traffic in England.

Still, on the plus side, I can stop worrying about running out of new routing opportunities or finding local crags too crowded!

In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Might be something to do with it being December?

Yeah, but isn't Nov to Feb prime grit season? With all the cold temperatures and great friction and stuff? I mean, I don't know because, before anyone asks the grit question, my answer is "remarkably little".

TobyA 08 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

> Yeah, but isn't Nov to Feb prime grit season? With all the cold temperatures and great friction and stuff?

Someone did something hard this week at Burbage South - I saw it on Instagram last night! Jim Pope maybe?

<quick google... bear with me... yep, here it is...>

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5vn9-kDv9F/

Messiah, E7 7c. Well done Mr Pope!

You wonder how much stuff gets done like that, that beyond Insta photos - doesn't get that much coverage?

Deadeye 08 Dec 2019

> In relation to your title, just who was the great O'Meera?

I thought they meant someone had polished off the Christmas chocolates already

Deadeye 08 Dec 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> Messiah, E7 7c. Well done Mr Pope!

6c, but well done indeed

TobyA 08 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

Getting old, Ben Bransby's name had just slipped my mind -  I was thinking of Ben's attempt to climb every route on Stanage - not sure if he has finished it yet - but an amazing (if wonderfully geeky and trainspottery) thing to do. So I clicked on a random E7 on Stanage, thinking "I'll see that bloke's name there as he will have done it" and I clicked on:

Pacific Ocean Wall Direct (E7 6b)

Oddly I can't see Ben's name there, but look just last week Jim Pope had done it along with a some other people! So, like I said, maybe there are groups of very talented climbers quietly ticking through E7s, but I suppose they don't think climbing 30 year old routes is worth making that much of a song and dance about? Even if it looks very impressive to punters like myself!

Having said that, at Stanage which I'm a pretty regular visitor to - you don't see people on harder routes that often. Last Sunday was lovely and good conditions, at High Neb there was on team on Quietus (E2 5c), everyone else seemed to be doing routes up to VS, like myself and my friend were doing. It could be that the pros and semi-pros favour quieter week days, unlike 9-5 wage slaves such as myself who are going to go at weekends and summer evenings though.

Post edited at 14:30
 TobyA 08 Dec 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Sorry! A bit of a typo that one!

GDes 08 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian

I'd imagine nobody bothers reporting a lot of ascebts of e7-e9 anymore. Unless they are flash or onsight, or a new route (the e9 that is, any style of e7 isn't really going to be in the news). I have absolutely no evidence to back this up apart from what I hear on the grapevine, but I reckon a lot more e7 upwards get done these days than ever before 

In reply to Deadeye:

Ha! Very good.

T.

bouldery bits 08 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

To be a pro these days you don't have to climb anything. You just have to be sick at Instagram.

(Hehehehe)

Bulls Crack 08 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

> Yeah, but isn't Nov to Feb prime grit season? With all the cold temperatures and great friction and stuff? 

Not if its wet

kristian Global Crag Moderator 08 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

Traditional sends have been dropping for years. With the price of postage it's far easier to SEND stuff electronically.

planetmarshall 08 Dec 2019
In reply to Alex1:

> Just not in the UK so it doesn't get an E grade.  Plus when the cutting edge is 8c+ or harder not sure that E7 repeats are exactly news worthy...

9 routes at E7 and above have been logged on UKC in the last two weeks alone. If course a fair number of those were by Jim Pope, but to me that seems a pretty healthy number.

Andy Gamisou 08 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

The Stranglers were of the same opinion 40 odd years ago.  I did manage a S 4b a while ago, but failed to alert the media so don't think it was widely reported on.

In reply to planetmarshall:

Hmm, I see. So it's not so much that nobody is sending hard, it's more that it doesn't crop up often on UKC? I wonder how UKC decides what to report on, is it based on what types of news story seem to get the most views? Or is it just decided by what the staff feel is worthy or reporting? Or is it that nobody doing trad sends seems much interested in publicising their achievements? Or is it something else entirely?

bensilvestre 09 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

In north wales there's still a good group of people climbing e7 onsight, headpointing harder routes, and climbing quality new routes at e7 and harder. But they don't always get reported on. Only a handful of those climbers have sponsors to please etc and its nice to see that they do it for the love rather than the news report. Personally I almost never log routes on UKC unless there's important info to share and I know many feel the same. So whilst it might seem to have gone quiet, i'm not convinced that is true.

GrahamD 09 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

Grumpy Christmas alert : personally I'd prefer it no routes in the UK were "sent" anywhere.

Bah humbug 

Andy Moles 09 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

I reckon there's a bit of truth in this.

For sure, there is plenty going on that doesn't make the news, but proportional to the amount of bouldering strength and sport fitness out there now, hard trad (especially top-end onsight/ground-up trad) seems relatively out of fashion.

I predict a resurgence though. It only takes a handful of suitably psyched and able people, and it's all there waiting to be done.

bensilvestre 09 Dec 2019
In reply to Andy Moles:

> For sure, there is plenty going on that doesn't make the news, but proportional to the amount of bouldering strength and sport fitness out there now, hard trad (especially top-end onsight/ground-up trad) seems relatively out of fashion.

Is that because fewer people are doing hard trad climbing though, or because there are just way more climbers now and most of them get into sport and bouldering? That would certainly skew the statistics rather a lot.

Coel Hellier 09 Dec 2019

> In relation to your title, just who was the great O'Meera?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmyr_de_Hory

Mike Stretford 09 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

> Is it just me or has there been a marked drop in hard trad sends? 

Surely this qualifies from last month!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2019/11/third_ascent_of_if_6_was_9_e9_6c_by...

> I swear there used to be a lot more articles about E7, 8, 9, 10 sends and it just feels like I've not seen anything from anyone other than Dave Mac for ages now.

I know Dave Mac got a new E10 in this year, so did Ste Mac

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2019/05/first_ascent_of_greatness_wall_e10_...

In reply to Coel Hellier:

So I've been hearing it incorrectly all these years.

Blimey. Every day's a school day.

T.

Removed User 09 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

You can argue all you like about correlation vs causation but the fact is:

The amount hard UK trad ascents in inversely proportional to the frequency of 'send' being used as common vernacular.

EdS 09 Dec 2019
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Even in September it was green and covered in pigeon shit

OP henwardian 10 Dec 2019
In reply to bensilvestre:

I get all of this and I'm sure I can understand people not wanting to spend their time shouting about their achievements but I really quite enjoy seeing stuff about trad routes being climbed. Even if it's a little short article with a couple of photos, doesn't need a proper interview and breakdown of the entire training, preparation, etc etc.

Rob Parsons 10 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

> Is it just me or has there been a marked drop in hard trad sends?

What is the purpose of (or nuance implied by) the word 'send'? To me, it seems a stupid and unnecessary word - however, educate me.

Michael Gordon 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Rob Parsons:

It should mean a worked ascent rather than an onsight (the 'send' is the eventual successful lead), but isn't always used that way.

Luke01 10 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/topascents.php

Gives some indication but not everyone logs ascents on ukc. I'd say most things don't get reported tbh, plenty of hard trad gets done around here (north wales) that nobody hears about, although not really this time of year.

https://chalkbloc.com/climbing-articles/ben-silvestre-notes-on-the-margin-w...

There's quite a bit of this going on, under the radar (people just going climbing) E7 flash/onsight attempts/ascents, and E8/9 headpoints. 

Billymo 10 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

I know you're probably thinking UK, but doesn't Jacopo's climb ring any bells.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2019/03/jacopo_larcher_climbs_contender_for...

Few months ago admitedly but the footage is pretty awesome.

Ask Gary

LeeWood 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> What is the purpose of (or nuance implied by) the word 'send'? To me, it seems a stupid and unnecessary word - however, educate me.

Problem is uk language doesn't have a single word to imply 'climbed clean' - or does it ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...