Munich Climb via Gashed Crag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JMAB 20 May 2019

Reading previous threads and the logbooks it looks like Munich Climb can be approached via Gashed Crag rather than scrambling up the gully. This would be preferable, and provide a bit more of a warm up.

From what I've read and from looking at the guidebook it looks like you climb Gashed Crag normally up to the chimney pitch then ascend the chimney. From here the normal route follows the ledges above for a bit before heading left over the short steep wall. For Munich Climb would you then carry on along the ledges, keeping the wall on your left, before traversing right onto the grassy ledge?

Can anyone confirm or give better beta? How easy is it to find the start in this way?

Thanks

Suncream 20 May 2019
In reply to JMAB:

I haven't done it but I was looking up these routes the other day. This may help:

https://sites.google.com/site/sjbroadbent/GashedCrag.pdf

Was hoping to do something similar this weekend but the forecast isn't too promising!

Edit: note the "Munich climb continues from here" in the pdf

Post edited at 21:47
 iskra2000 20 May 2019
In reply to JMAB:

It's been over twenty years ago, but we definitely did the chimney on Gashed Crag first. Seem to remember moving up the gully to the start of Munich Climb.

lithos 20 May 2019
In reply to JMAB:

did this a few weeks back.

it's pretty easy/logical !  i climbed the chimney pitch and continuation bit  (< 5m) to an comfy belay. Pete then did a slightly downward grassy traverse (lost about 5m ? in about 25m) into the gully bed about 2m from the start of Munich.  It's easy (exposed) but we did it roped as we were all geared up and it sorted the ends of the ropes for us as i was doing P1

Finding the top pitch was a bit more intersting, I think its meant to be behind the HUGE block/boulder, the desc said 'vague groove' or something as useful. I did a pitch of nice climbing, quite easy 4a max but 1 bit of gear in the whole pitch!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...