Mending Cams.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gimmergimmer 09 Jul 2022

It's probably been discussed before. I have Wild Country cam and a  'Friend' where wires worn. And one 'Friend' where wires seem fixed and doesn't work. Does anyone repair them and how much about. Thanks.

Connor Nunns 09 Jul 2022
In reply to gimmergimmer:

Wild Country sell trigger wire replacement kits or you can bodge it with strimmer cord. You could also get a swaging kit and some bike brake cable and repair the wires properly. 

With the other cam if you mean the lobes don't move when you pull the trigger then it needs cleaning and lubrication. Clean it in hot soapy water with a toothbrush and by swishing it around while squeezing the triggers and then lubricate with bike chain oil or GT85.

OP gimmergimmer 09 Jul 2022

Thanks for quick reply. I've now unstuck 'stuck  Friend. Will research other ideas. Ta.

Rocknast 09 Jul 2022

I think Metolius make lubricant specifically for cams too... I use it on mine after washing then following climbing in marine environments like sea cliffs etc.

gravy 09 Jul 2022
In reply to Rocknast:

I find brake cable is often too thick but picture hanging wire is just right...

johnlc 11 Jul 2022
In reply to gravy:

If brake cable is too thick, then gear-shift cable might be just right.  As you will have noticed, brake cable and gear-shift cable have differently shaped metal blobs on the end which fit into the brake levers or shifters as appropriate. I asked my bike shop why the two weren't interchangeable and I was told that it was deliberate so that weight-obsessed cyclists wouldn't try using the marginally thinner and lighter gear cables as brake cables.

Maggot 12 Jul 2022

Meter seals would probably work. Just need a bootlace ferrule crimping tool to err crimp the ferrules!

Search for '6mm AL CU METER SECURITY SEAL SEALS WIRES & FERRULES' on you know where.

Crofty 15 Jul 2022

Gear cables are not flexible enough. I wish it was as working in a bike shop means I would have an endless supply.

I use aeronautical control cable which is multiple strands made up of very fine wire. 

This is easy enough to buy along with the nico crimps.

However buying the hand crimping tool in the UK is impossible. I bought mine in Australia 20 plus years ago from a ships chandlers.

Drop me a dm if you wanted them doing 

Jim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...