Malham Parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Dunn 17 Apr 2022

Chatting to the farmer at Malham it appears that some visitors to the Cove are not being as careful as they could be in this sensitive environment. He reported people climbing over and damaging walls, poor parking and blocking gates and damaging recently planted sapling's. Please respect the countryside and lets maintain the generally good relationship between climbers and locals. Malham Cove

ianstevens 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Ian Dunn:

Let’s be honest, it’s probably not climbers is it?

wbo2 18 Apr 2022
In reply to ianstevens: You don't know, I don't know, the farmer doesn't know more to the point and it doesn't matter .   Even if it isn't climbers, we should still behave as Ian suggests.

ianstevens 18 Apr 2022
In reply to wbo2:

I agree we should be behaving the correct way. No reason not too. I’m simply stating that in this community, climbers often seem ready to place blame on other climbers, rather than consider the possibility that these actions are those of the non-climbing element of visitors to these honeypots. 

As you say, always nice to have a reminder.

deacondeacon 18 Apr 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

Well it was definitely climbers at Almscliffe, which is only up the road.

peppermill 18 Apr 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

> Let’s be honest, it’s probably not climbers is it?

Oh I dunno.

Encountered the "F*ck off, I've driven all the way here, I'm going climbing" plenty of times from acquaintances

Regardless of parking, consideration to locals, the rock actually being in a climbable state (Ok I'm thinking more St Bees or Northumbrian sandstone for the last one).

Always makes me think of the Langdale farmer a few years ago that lost the plot and just hooned it with a tractor and trailer  between rows of badly parked cars either side of the road taking doors, wing mirrors and the rest with him!

In reply to ianstevens:

Comments such as this remind me of my dear granny, who would steadfastly remi D us that:

"c*ntism is an equal opportunities employer, it matters not one hot which societal group you belong to, c*ntism welcomes all" 

Dax H 18 Apr 2022
In reply to peppermill:

> Always makes me think of the Langdale farmer a few years ago that lost the plot and just hooned it with a tractor and trailer  between rows of badly parked cars either side of the road taking doors, wing mirrors and the rest with him!

It always amazes me how people park. The perfectly good car park will be empty but people park down both sides of the road. A farmer has set up a field for parking for £5 a day but still they park on the roads. 

Cobra_Head 18 Apr 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

I agree with you there, though it obviously could be climbers, there are many more people walking and hiking so statistically it's more likely to be them.

Still it doesn't hurt to be reminded not to be dickheads.

Ian W 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> It always amazes me how people park. The perfectly good car park will be empty but people park down both sides of the road. A farmer has set up a field for parking for £5 a day but still they park on the roads. 

It always astonishes me the lengths people will go to to save a few quid on parking.......

Dax H 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Ian W:

I know, happy to burn x lts of fuel to get there, happy to make use of the free toilets but not happy to pay to park. 

DaveHK 18 Apr 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

If we're being really honest we should probably mention the fact that the farmer is quite possibly the grumpiest man in the world. Although to add yet another layer of honesty I would be right grumpy too if I was trying to run a farm in one of the busiest places in the country. 

A little bit of come and go works wonders.

OP Ian Dunn 18 Apr 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

The cost of repairing walls would probably make you grumpy too if you had to fork out to repair them. It was definitely climbers who climbed the walls, most other visitors don’t carry ropes. 

A bit of consideration and gentle educating of those who don’t follow the country code is all he asks.

Andy Gamisou 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> I know, happy to burn x lts of fuel to get there, happy to make use of the free toilets but not happy to pay to park. 

Are they happy about "burn x lts of fuel to get there", or do they view it as an unavoidable necessity if they want to go out climbing?  

Given how much you seem "happy" to fork out paying for broadband, I'm thinking a fiver is of little consequence to you.  Perhaps not everyone is so fortunate in terms of their disposable income.

Post edited at 03:57
 Dax H 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

I'm better off than some, not as well off as others, that's not the point though. The paking charge is a very small part of the cost of a day out but it also seems to be the part most people are vocal about and try to avoid. 

Enty 19 Apr 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

I was once at a crag in France and a well known  male British climber took a piss right in the middle of the path less than 2m away from the base of a route and less than 10m away from a couple of female French climbers who just sat there shaking their heads.

So there you have it.

E

FreshSlate 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Enty:

Who was that then?

Jamie Wakeham 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

> ...I'm thinking a fiver is of little consequence to you.  Perhaps not everyone is so fortunate in terms of their disposable income.

If someone is off for a day's trad climbing they will have an absolute minimum of, what, £300 of shiny gear and ropes in their bags?  It's not as if climbing has a zero cost of entry.  But people will be spectacularly idiotic in avoiding a few quid in parking fees.

If there's a trivial and safe way to park for free (the big verge by the farm at the foot of Tryfan Bach, for example) then fair enough.

tehmarks 20 Apr 2022
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> If someone is off for a day's trad climbing they will have an absolute minimum of, what, £300 of shiny gear and ropes in their bags?  It's not as if climbing has a zero cost of entry.  But people will be spectacularly idiotic in avoiding a few quid in parking fees.

I'm not arguing for parking like a moron - but I'm not sure that argument is entirely valid either. Gear is a one-off investment with the occasional top-up. I bought the majority of my rack a decade ago when I was a poor student. It's entirely conceivable that others bought their rack when they had more disposable income than they currently have.

But yes, a few pounds in the ticket machine is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. And if it is, perhaps plan to go to a crag where there is sensible free parking.

SDM 20 Apr 2022
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

The only equipment I owned when I started out trad climbing were a pair of second hand shoes bought for a fiver on eBay, and a chalk bag that I won in a raffle.

I'm sure there are many on here who started with similar. 

I don't really do any trad climbing anymore but nearly all of my rack was purchased second hand and didn't come close to £300 in total cost.

An additional £5 per day can be a significant portion of the cost of a day's climbing for many people and can easily be the difference between what is and is not affordable. The majority of people working within climbing do so for minimum wage or not much more and many start out climbing as a student with little/no income.

This does not excuse parking inconsiderately. If you can't/don't want to pay for parking, there are plenty of places where you climb and park for free without causing any issues.

midgen 20 Apr 2022

Climbers parked up all over the verges at Stanage every single weekend, either too lazy to get up in time to get a spot at Hook's Carr, or too tight to pay for Hollin Bank (it takes cards now, no excuses). I don't think as a collective 'climbers' are in a position to throw stones.

peppermill 20 Apr 2022
In reply to SDM:

> This does not excuse parking inconsiderately. If you can't/don't want to pay for parking, there are plenty of places where you climb and park for free without causing any issues.

Exactly. If you choose to drive to Langdale (which I think is where the £5 a day figure came from up the thread) or another honeypot location that's popular with other climbers, walkers, general daytrippers and tourists then weekend parking is probably going to be an issue and you're going to have to cough up sadly. Just fill the car with climbers and suddenly it's pennies. Not really directing that at you just replying to the theme in general!

fmck 20 Apr 2022
In reply to Ian Dunn:

Last time I visited it was mid week and during school term but was heaving with masses of people. The approach roads were even parked up. We only got a space to park because someone was leaving. I was on holiday from Scotland with the family. I was disappointed given the nice sunny day there were no climbers present. We sat at the bottom beside the little stream to have a picnic. I looked up and could see we were directly in the fall line from the lip and central. I said to the wife that I reckon with the huge numbers of people up there we were probably in danger and should move. Within minutes of moving there was a huge boom as a rock landed where we were sitting. I cant help think it was chucked off rather than a loose rock. 

HardenClimber 20 Apr 2022
In reply to Ian Dunn:

Malham gets about 2.5 million visitors a year. Most of these do concentrate on Malham. It is a huge pressure on a small community. I think the residents are pretty tolerant.

(DOI, I live in Malhamdale)

ian caton 20 Apr 2022
In reply to SDM:

Compared to cost of a climbing wall it is cheap. 

artif 20 Apr 2022
In reply to SDM:

> The only equipment I owned when I started out trad climbing were a pair of second hand shoes bought for a fiver on eBay, and a chalk bag that I won in a raffle.

> I'm sure there are many on here who started with similar. 

> I don't really do any trad climbing anymore but nearly all of my rack was purchased second hand and didn't come close to £300 in total cost.

> An additional £5 per day can be a significant portion of the cost of a day's climbing for many people and can easily be the difference between what is and is not affordable. The majority of people working within climbing do so for minimum wage or not much more and many start out climbing as a student with little/no income.

> This does not excuse parking inconsiderately. If you can't/don't want to pay for parking, there are plenty of places where you climb and park for free without causing any issues.

But can afford a car and fuel to get there!!!!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...