Low grade climbs near Fort William

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stev_b 21 May 2021

Im after some advice on good places to take novice climbers when staying in Fort William.  I'll be going up next week so the weather is looking good.

Michael Gordon 21 May 2021
In reply to Stev_b:

Do you mean single pitch crags or mountain routes / scrambles?

AlH 21 May 2021
In reply to Stev_b:

Lots of low grade multipitch at Polldubh. The area up to and around the Alp (home of The Gutter, a 90m Diff that is many beginners first climb/multipitch route) is very popular. My children love scrambling up Scimitar Ridge (Grade 2), a roadside ridge that after an initial slab and chimney is a series of slabby outcrops you can pick and choose from (belay available above first 2 parts, then a body belay back from the edges tends to suffice). Above the top of Pinnacle Ridge is Upper Pinnacle, a short polished crag popular for outdoor centre groups for top roping. 

Al

Removed User 21 May 2021
In reply to Stev_b:

Polldubh.

You can start at the bottom and work your way uphill through the crags and get over a thousand feet of climbing in.

Pinnacle Ridge at the bottom is very polished but as you get higher the traffic and polish quickly reduces.

Dom Goodwin 26 May 2021
In reply to Stev_b:

Another recommendation for The Gutter (Diff), outstanding at the grade. Sustained relatively easy climbing with plenty of interest and gear.

Rich W Parker 28 May 2021
In reply to Stev_b:

Another cool place with a bunch of easier grades is the East Face of Aonach Dubh, Glencoe, Diffs --> Severes, 1hr walk-in. In some places protection can be a bit spaced, particularly on the bottom tier. Getting off is most straightforward by going up towards of the top of the ridge and trending eastwards towards the coire and then hooking back to the path. Alternatively various abseil or down scramble antics can be had for more adventure.

Michael Gordon 28 May 2021
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Yes. Quiver Rib has to be, I dunno, maybe 20 times better than The Gutter?

kwoods 28 May 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Yes. Quiver Rib has to be, I dunno, maybe 20 times better than The Gutter?

I'd probably go with that too, pretty stonking at the grade. For experience at the grade, full marks for sure. And I was only seconding!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...