Left rope behind?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have noticed 2x 30m rope left rigged at North quarry, Somerset.

Does anyone know about this? 

I'm a little concerned as its static rope not dynamic. 

The Pylon King 12 Sep 2022
In reply to NeilJackson1234:

Leave them alone please.

Why are you concerned that they are static?!?!

In reply to The Pylon King:

> Leave them alone please.

Maybe you could respond to the 'does anyone know about this' question?

Presumably the OP is concerned that someone may be climbing on static rope. If you could explain what is going on, we might all be enlightened, and the OP's concerns allayed.

leland stamper 12 Sep 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

I'd like to point out one of them is a 60m rope, captain. Also I'm not sure I would have registered with UKC just to tell everyone my  concern s about static ropes in a chossy quarry., jus ' sayin'

Post edited at 19:46

Nothing to worry about, thanks for your concern.

Well im just glad that the rope is accounted for and the user knows what they are doing.

As far as my concerns being ridiculed, all I can say is when you leave rope behind, maybe it should be out of reach of the children using it as a swing.

Bad form and totally not safe. 

In reply to leland stamper:

> Also I'm not sure I would have registered with UKC just to tell everyone my  concern s about static ropes in a chossy quarry., jus ' sayin'

Well, since it appears there are ropes at the location, we can assume the OP is genuine.

I don't understand the 'mind your own business' responses. If you're working it/equipping it, then why not say? Your 'Project X' is obviously no longer secret.

In reply to captain paranoia:

God I wish I hadnt responded at all. Then the thread would have dropped off the bottom of the page with a faint farty sound within hours.

I never learn. Kill me now and let me join my queen.

Post edited at 21:58

Or you could just stop being a dick, and answer the question.

CantClimbTom 13 Sep 2022

Yes that's right, someone doing some climbing... must account for themselves and explain to the self appointed judge and jury of UKC forum. We can announce they're the wrong type of rope, wrong colour and generally say he's doing it all wrong.

Pylon king is using the ropes for climbing or drying some washing... who knows.. but I do know if it doesn't block routes for others, doesn't harm kittens or damage the rock: then it's none of my business 

Post edited at 05:47
 deacondeacon 13 Sep 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Ropes left rigged in place are an eyesore. These were left in place where kids could piss about with them. Rightly or wrongly, if one of those kids had hurt themselves there could be allsorts of bother, including potential access issues of the crag. 

I don't know what the ropes were being used for but being grumpy, self righteous and unhelpful on a climbing forum when questioned isn't helping anyone.

CantClimbTom 13 Sep 2022
In reply to deacondeacon:

I'd misread the original post's tone and I apologise.

If they were left where they could be a nuisance or daft people could cause a nuisance with them then it's a fair question. For whatever reason I'd fixated on the [semi] static versus dynamic bit. Sorry!

leland stamper 13 Sep 2022
In reply to deacondeacon:

The 60m static has been removed and no animals or small children were traumatised in it's removal.. The pious pronouncements by some on here are brilliant. If you have ever been to N Quarry you would know what an eyesore is. Small children do not go there. It is almost completely restricted to middle aged men and a few younger men on trials bikes .If we keep going Crook Peak could be a mountain rather than a molehill.

Moacs 13 Sep 2022

Robert Durran (or one of his ilk) will steal it as abandoned...

montyjohn 13 Sep 2022

I've seen some pretty unwelcoming posts on UKC, particularly to new member, but this is probably the worst. Not sure why the Pylon King and Leland Stamper are being so cagey about whatever is going on. No need for it.

Fellover 13 Sep 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

Armchair opinion time: Probably being cagey (and kinda rude tbh) because in most places in the UK it's at best 'poor form' to leave ropes in situ, especially in places that non climbers see (exceptions exist I'm sure). They've been called out on it and probably either disagree that is 'poor form' or feel a bit guilty.

Static vs dynamic thing is just a red herring really, no reason to complain about a static being left around that wouldn't also be applicable to a dynamic.

Post edited at 11:48
 bpmclimb 13 Sep 2022
In reply to all:

There's an aspect of this which people are ignoring, or simply haven't realised ......

Climbers who leave static ropes in situ are very likely to be cleaning and restoring old routes and/or establishing new ones. This work can be quite physically demanding and time-consuming, and it does benefit the whole climbing community. When doing consecutive days of such work, and time is short (it almost always is), and energy reserves finite (they always are), the last thing you want to do is pull down your (often wet/muddy) ropes at the end of each session, and at the start of the next day clipstick your way up bolts, or get the ropes up in some other (usually tortuous) way.

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" is the phrase which springs to mind.

Cheese Monkey 13 Sep 2022
In reply to bpmclimb:

Wilfully ignoring I expect as it is the obvious answer

In reply to bpmclimb:

> There's an aspect of this which people are ignoring, or simply haven't realised ......

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rock_talk/left_rope_behind-751858?v=1#x96...

deepsoup 13 Sep 2022
In reply to bpmclimb:

That might have been a nice explanation for Pylon King to have offered the op in the first place instead of getting all arsey and defensive about it.

In reply to bpmclimb:

> There's an aspect of this which people are ignoring, or simply haven't realised ......

> Climbers who leave static ropes in situ are very likely to be cleaning and restoring old routes and/or establishing new ones. This work can be quite physically demanding and time-consuming, and it does benefit the whole climbing community. When doing consecutive days of such work, and time is short (it almost always is), and energy reserves finite (they always are), the last thing you want to do is pull down your (often wet/muddy) ropes at the end of each session, and at the start of the next day clipstick your way up bolts, or get the ropes up in some other (usually tortuous) way.

> "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" is the phrase which springs to mind.

Well if that is the case they could just say so and get a massive round of pats on the back. Yes?

Intstead they have chosen the 'mind your own business' response, for no reason that makes any sense.

> God I wish I hadnt responded at all. Then the thread would have dropped off the bottom of the page with a faint farty sound within hours.

> I never learn. Kill me now and let me join my queen.

Imagine how quickly it would have disappeared if you'd just said 'route cleaning'

Well I'm sorry to have caused such a hullabaloo. 

No malice intended. I was always taught to remove ropes after use as a general safety thing.

I understand that route cleaning is a laborious task, and we'll appreciated by others, including myself.

Shall we call this subject closed?

gravy 14 Sep 2022

OTFY: "God I wish I hadn't responded like a dick. I never learn, sorry"

crayefish 15 Sep 2022

Classic UKC.  🤣

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...