Lack of route descriptions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CoralDea 06 Jan 2023

Why is there no route descriptions on most routes? How are people meant to find them? Can we make it a thing where descriptions are put up with new climbs?

OCDClimber 06 Jan 2023
In reply to CoralDea:

Are you having a laugh?  I call troll or extreme ignorance.

deacondeacon 06 Jan 2023
In reply to CoralDea:

How many route descriptions have you added to this database?

bpmclimb 06 Jan 2023
In reply to CoralDea:

> Why is there no route descriptions on most routes? How are people meant to find them? Can we make it a thing where descriptions are put up with new climbs?

People are meant to find routes by consulting the latest guidebook, which normally means buying a copy! There are some route descriptions on here, and elsewhere online, so you may find some for your chosen routes if you're lucky, but basically the database exists so that climbers can log ascents - it's not supposed to be a (free) substitute for a guidebook.

Petrafied 07 Jan 2023
In reply to OCDClimber:

If you're a relative novice or if climbing is not your main focus in life and have not really used guidebooks then this doesn't seem to me to that unreasonable a question.  You can call what you like, but I'd say say that you're the one being ignorant here.  Why not give a succinct answer to the question rather than going all "comic book store guy"?

Post edited at 02:47
 Petrafied 07 Jan 2023
In reply to deacondeacon:

> How many route descriptions have you added to this database?

Ah - another "comic book store guy".  Well done.  No wonder the forum on this website is being reduced to a handful of dudes of a certain age arguing the same topics ad-infinitum.

Murcantile 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Petrafied:

> Ah - another "comic book store guy".  Well done.  No wonder the forum on this website is being reduced to a handful of dudes of a certain age arguing the same topics ad-infinitum.

Just don’t mention bolting anything in the uk ffs

OCDClimber 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Petrafied:

You are right, apologies to the OP my comment was a little harsh. As was yours I might add

Offwidth 07 Jan 2023
In reply to Petrafied:

>No wonder the forum on this website is being reduced to a handful of dudes of a certain age arguing the same topics ad-infinitum.

What about the dudes of a certain age who agree with you and want change (especially better moderation of aggressive responses to new posters) 

C Witter 07 Jan 2023
In reply to CoralDea:

There is a point here: if people add new routes to crags I moderate, especially boulder problems, I don't approve them unless there is an adequate description or a photo. But, they are often added with neither!

Graeme Hammond 07 Jan 2023
In reply to CoralDea:

> Why is there no route descriptions on most routes? How are people meant to find them? Can we make it a thing where descriptions are put up with new climbs?

Apart from routes linked to the Rockfax guidebooks the whole database including the descriptions have been user generated over around 20 years by many different people.  You can edit/add descriptions yourself (copying descriptions straight out of guidebooks isn't allowed for copyright reasons).  To save time many routes have added without descriptions over the year as it was originally more of a log my climbs and sharing information database than a replacement for a guidebook. However with the latest updates you can even generate topos so in the future the logbooks may be even more extensive and function more like a guidebook.

Andy Hardy 07 Jan 2023
In reply to CoralDea:

Easiest way is to buy a guide to the crag, either a real, tangible paper one or a subscription one on your phone.

In reply to CoralDea:

Assuming the original OP isn't just having a laugh but they are relatively new to our sport I hope the following is useful. 

The climbing areas of the UK, from Shetland to Guernsey, are covered by a fantastic collection of climbing guidebooks with both descriptions and (normally) photo-diagrams. They fall into two groups: definitive/comprehensive guidebooks which detail almost all the climbs in a particular area (poor climbs are often not included) and selected climbs guidebooks which detail most of the best climbs in a region. Some guidebooks are produced by clubs such as The Climbers' Club while others are produced by individuals or companies such as the UKC's sister organisation Rockfax (the latter also have an excellent App). If you think you have done a new route you should check the definitive guide not a selected climbs to see if it might be new before claiming your masterpiece!

To see the range of books available it might be best to Google Cordee as they are the main distributor to shops and also do direct sales. If you wish you can then visit the websites of the producers who normally also offer direct sales and may offer some discounts. Expect to pay something in the region of £20 - £35 for a typical guidebook. Another source of valuable information are the experienced members of your local climbing club and some clubs have guidebooks that their members can borrow. 

Happy climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...