Kid-free crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Le Sapeur 21 Sep 2020

Following on from the dog-free crag thread should crags be kid-free? Personally I'd rather a whole pack of canines over a single brat, but that's just me. It's not that I don't like kids, I do. What I don't like is the action mums and dads in lycra who take over a hundred square meters with child paraphernalia and spend all day loudly caring (which is good, if not done loudly) for their offspring and then object when I utter a mild obscenity when I fall off a route. 

I've taken to uttering the most foul obscenities to annoy them. 

EddInaBox 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Then by your own admission you are contravening Section 4A of The Public Order Act 1986:

4A Intentional harassment, alarm or distress.

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he—

(a)uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour...

thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distress.
(5)A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both.

Le Sapeur 21 Sep 2020
In reply to EddInaBox:

I'll take the 6 months.

EddInaBox 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

That's one way to avoid any kids.

Misha 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

You could go to crags which families don’t go to. 

Le Sapeur 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Misha:

Where are they?

alx 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Could you try dressing as a catholic priest instead of swearing?

Misha 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Looking at the grades on your profile, I don’t think you’d struggle to fine somewhere interesting which is too hard / scary / inaccessible for families. Most sea cliffs and limestone crags for a start. 

In reply to Le Sapeur:

A long way from a minor road with no proper parking across a bog halfway up a mountain and above a steep scree slope.

Herdwickmatt 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur: As a climbing parent, I agree. Kids can completely spoil a day cragging. Mine have pretty much spoilt the previous 6years of cragging. Let’s stop pretending parenthood is a joyous full filled time. It’s a bleak and painful grind as your spirit slowly dies. 

Swear away for all I’m bothered, the playgrounds round here are full of obscenity and broken glass anyway. 

It might have been a tough bedtime routine tonight 

marsbar 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Personally I've found dogs are easier than kids.  Although these days you can't leave either in the car for 2 minutes without getting told off.  

As for the swearing I bet its nothing the kids haven't heard.  Kids love it when adults say a naughty word. 

How about if the kids are actually climbing, not just picnicing?  The annoying thing there, and the real reason for banning them is they make it look so easy.  Maybe that's just me?  

wintertree 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

> Where are they?

The sample place nice walks not covered in dog shit are.  

More than half a mile from the nearest car park.

Andy Gamisou 22 Sep 2020
In reply to EddInaBox:

> Then by your own admission you are contravening Section 4A of The Public Order Act 1986:

I recall my wife and I once quietly climbing at Kyloe (out) when two families arrived with several sprogs in tow, and set up close to where we were racking up for our next route.  No worries we thought - nice to see a climbing family out enjoying themselves.  Wasn't so happy when the parents decided to pop off around the corner, leaving their toddlers running around my wife's legs, giving full vent to their lungs, banging into her at one point, whilst I was three quarters up the route.

Pretty sure the language I used to fetch the parents back would have contravened Section 4A of the Public Order Act 1986.  As would the language I used when they suggested it was our fault for choosing to climb where they had deposited their kids (even though we there first and already racking up).  

Quite the most obnoxious people I've come across in 30 years on the crags.  If you can't control your kids, leave them at home with the babysitter.

Post edited at 08:13
 Climbthatpitch 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Aww did my 8 year old 4 foot tall daughter just come and crush your project as a warm up and put u in a bad mood.

She does it to me all the time 😁

skog 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Don't you, ah, have a place on Skye?

Most of the Cuillin should be fine, and I've -rarely- seen buggies at Carn Liath.

But if you're down in Edinburgh for work, there's always Traprain Quarry...

Herdwickmatt 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

For a brief moment I was worried you were going to describe my family... pretty sure it’s not us. My kids are fairly obnoxious but I would have been super apologetic 

In reply to Le Sapeur:

Can't remember the last time I went to a crag with any kids around.

Le Sapeur 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

> For a brief moment I was worried you were going to describe my family... pretty sure it’s not us. My kids are fairly obnoxious but I would have been super apologetic 

And I don't really swear in front of kids.

earlsdonwhu 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Choose your Gary Glitter, Jimmy Saville or just the Kiddy Fiddler T  shirt. I would suggest that most parents would scoop up their kids and run!

Cbee20191 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

As a parent whose children are stronger than i am,  I would also like advice on child free crags that I might goto alone and feel better about myself.

Le Sapeur 22 Sep 2020
In reply to skog:

I don't work in Edinburgh but thanks for the suggestion.

skog 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

To be clear: I DO NOT suggest climbing at Traprain Quarry, that bit was tongue in cheek!

Rog Wilko 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Plenty of sea cliffs don't see many kids eg  Boulder Ruckle

Wimlands 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Not many it’s true...just that the ones who turn up tend to be quite good.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/the_roaring_girl_-_an_intervie...

Post edited at 20:53
 henwardian 22 Sep 2020
In reply to skog:

> To be clear: I DO NOT suggest climbing at Traprain Quarry, that bit was tongue in cheek!

Stop trying to discourage people from visiting THE finest crag in all of Scotland! For anyone reading this thread, Traprain is like THE best trad crag I have _ever_ been to, it's just 5 star classic after 5 star classic.

Also, to the OP, it's not hard to move people on, try a ghettoblaster with rage against the machine on repeat while you climb naked, should be enough to make sure that neither kids nor anyone else want to be within a couple of miles of you (and if push comes to shove, bring a special friend and throw in a bit of clucking).

Slarti B 22 Sep 2020
In reply to EddInaBox:

Is it OK to swear in French ?  I try and use "Putain"  at teh climbing wall rather than an anglo saxon equivalent. 

Le Sapeur 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Slarti B:

Connasse would be better.

In reply to Le Sapeur:

> Connasse would be better.

What does that mean?

EddInaBox 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Slarti B:

It depends on who else might hear it.  Swearing is not an offence, it becomes an offence if someone is caused harassment, alarm, or distress.  If you were to shout it out whilst a woman (or bloke, don't want to propagate stereotypes here) in high heels, whalenet tights, and a necklace made of onions walked past you, then it's probably not okay.

Slarti B 24 Sep 2020
In reply to EddInaBox:

Thanks, I will try and remember that next time I am at teh wall

profitofdoom 24 Sep 2020

In reply:

I just don't get suggestions of "kid-free crags", or "kid-free restaurants", or "kid-free flights"

IMO they're human like any of us. They have as much right to be there as any of us. If you can't deal with it, can I please kindly and politely suggest you go somewhere else

Kids are welcome wherever I go and at all times, all crags, restaurants, flights

FactorXXX 24 Sep 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Kids are welcome wherever I go and at all times, all crags, restaurants, flights

You must realise that there are certain situations where kids can be a problem.
In particular from your examples, Restaurants. Do you really think that Restaurants should automatically allow children in and totally disregard the type of ambience/atmosphere other customers expect or want?

Le Sapeur 24 Sep 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

> IMO they're human like any of us. They have as much right to be there as any of us. If you can't deal with it, can I please kindly and politely suggest you go somewhere else

Where is this someplace else? If, in your world there are no kid free zones there are no somewhere else's.

Ok, Pizza Hut at 5pm, yes, that works. Andrew Fairley at Glen Eagles 9pm. No, not for kids.

Pretending not to get kid free areas is a bit odd? 

Le Sapeur 24 Sep 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> You must realise that there are certain situations where kids can be a problem.

> In particular from your examples, Restaurants. Do you really think that Restaurants should automatically allow children in and totally disregard the type of ambience/atmosphere other customers expect or want?

Absolutely. What a lot of kid owners forget is that there are a lot of kid-free adults that want nothing to do with the little blighters. 

munkins 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Missing a trick here son, if you see kids about jump on the  most overhanging route in sight. The high pitched murmurs swirling beneath you, 'wow'...'awesome'... 'he's spiderman!'.

It's like being a God.

Andy Gamisou 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Slarti B:

> Is it OK to swear in French ?  I try and use "Putain"  at teh climbing wall rather than an anglo saxon equivalent. 

I tend to go for Greek, as my UKC moniker indicates.

profitofdoom 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

> Where is this someplace else? If, in your world there are no kid free zones there are no somewhere else's.

There would be plenty of places without kids - plenty of "somewhere else's" - as there are right now: there are loads of crags and restaurants without kids in them at any one time

> Pretending not to get kid free areas is a bit odd? 

When I said "I just don't get suggestions of "kid-free crags"" I meant I don't know why we have them. I didn't mean I don't understand them. Sorry, my comment was ambiguous

profitofdoom 25 Sep 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> ........In particular from your examples, Restaurants. Do you really think that Restaurants should automatically allow children in and totally disregard the type of ambience/atmosphere other customers expect or want?

Yes. I do really think that restaurants should automatically allow children in, anywhere and at any time. IMO they are humans just like us and as part of our world should be included in it, for their good and for ours

springfall2008 28 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Try Shorn Cliff - zero kids on even Wynd Cliff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...